• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lap Timers

I'll take a pic when i have chance, I have the G2x and I loved it.

GPS based, no beacon setup required. If you are computer savy, you could build your own track map and sessions, you also could get it hooked up to diffrent sensors for G loading and throttle positioning and stuff. Engine info...

I have used the hot lap timer from longacre and it works just fine.The pluses are that it is so popular that there is usualy someone who sets up a transmiter at every hpde.The downsides are if two people independently set them up without telling each other,the person setting it up leaves early,or with any line of site photobeam a car gets between you and the transmiter.

We've been using the ultra-lap for the last two years with good results. Good unit and cheap.

Just don't forget your beacon at the wall... or to turn the transmitter off... their have been occasions where we had to run out for batteries.

Here in Europe we use Alfano a lot :

http://www.alfano.com/home.php

The base system is ~350$. The advantage is that it does not need any IR or radio cell you have to place next to the track as it uses a magnetic band placed under the asphalt. A lot of tracks are equiped in Europe. I don't know about the US.

I'm smitten with the Traqmate. It's a premium priced system, but so far I've had great success in turning the GPS and accelerometer data into faster (and safe) lap times. For me, it's not enough to know only that I need to go faster. Knowing WHERE I need to go faster is what makes the difference.

I'm smitten with the Traqmate. It's a premium priced system, but so far I've had great success in turning the GPS and accelerometer data into faster (and safe) lap times. For me, it's not enough to know only that I need to go faster. Knowing WHERE I need to go faster is what makes the difference.

Exactly, and it's only $500 more than a beacon-based setup. IMO, if you go with a beacon-based setup, you may as well be using a steering wheel with a timer built in. That's about as good enough.

I'm interested in either the Racepak G2X or the Traqmate. I'd like to know what NSXDreamer2 and NSX2tall think of their systems. Are they easy to connect to the ECU? Are you using a Chasecam video camera? What software are you using? Trackvision?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to buy one of these units soon.
thanks,
ryan

I am using Racelogic. GPS/Accerlerometer based and $500. Portable (suction cup windshield mount) so I can put it in students cars too. Records on to a SD card and great PC software to boot. Allows you to set 6 splits as well... lots of features for $500.

I'm interested in either the Racepak G2X or the Traqmate. I'd like to know what NSXDreamer2 and NSX2tall think of their systems. Are they easy to connect to the ECU? Are you using a Chasecam video camera? What software are you using? Trackvision?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to buy one of these units soon.
thanks,
ryan

Ryan, I loved my system, sure you could hook up to camera and the system could record a lot of other information from the car. eg, throttle opening, braking, G force and engine oil/water temp and others... I wasn't using a tenth of the system's potential. I just tapped the rpm line into the ecu wiring. snaking the gps antenna to the bottom of the windsheild (inside cockpit) I always had my video camcorder on the harness bar...

I just set up the track start/end position once, and everytime I got to the track, after the first lap it'll instantly recognized it and started timing.

When you got home, you could download all the infomation from the SD card to your laptop or desktop. You could build a track map and it will even show you the different lines you top. You could also broke it into different sessions and you could get a therotical best lap time by combining the best sessions together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDtTRtmj_o

you could type "slowv6" on youtube, you will see my vids.

Last edited:
Re: So uh, Larry, next what you need is.........

a heads up display on your visor or windshield and a moving position marker for Don's location on track. :wink: I was thinking you might want to know where Hrant is, but ...............nah, no need. You know he'll be in the paddock checking his brake pad and rotor temps. :rolleyes:

a heads up display on your visor or windshield and a moving position marker for Don's location on track. :wink: I was thinking you might want to know where Hrant is, but ...............nah, no need. You know he'll be in the paddock checking his brake pad and rotor temps. :rolleyes:

Too funny Ted! But remember, Don doesn't give point-byes and I don't want Hrant to critic my lines. Downloaded this gadget last night for $4.99 If it doesn't work, then I'm out a Subway sandwich.

Lol , so some things have'nt changed since I was last at infineon:biggrin:

Yeah nomex is needed, you finally got me lured into this ....... So this is what I get from my track buddies and for being on these smack forums too long heh :smile:

Sadly, some of us have "finally" transitioned from being track nerds ...... my "excuse" now - if I need one - would be to have enough heat to make the Stoptech BBK kits work with the XP10 pads; and if that fails, I don't have a big a$$ wing to keep Don at bay now :biggrin:

And yes, Don doesn't give point bys and I wonder how and from whom he learned that there are no free passes :tongue:

Yeah nomex is needed, you finally got me lured into this ....... So this is what I get from my track buddies and for being on these smack forums too long heh :smile:

Sadly, some of us have "finally" transitioned from being track nerds ...... my "excuse" now - if I need one - would be to have enough heat to make the Stoptech BBK kits work with the XP10 pads; and if that fails, I don't have a big a$$ wing to keep Don at bay now :biggrin:

And yes, Don doesn't give point bys and I wonder how and from whom he learned that there are no free passes :tongue:

Hrant,
I've been running XP8's for the past few years (BBK on front and stock calipers on rear). I generally like them, but I've been driving full 25 min sessions in the advanced group and they seem to be putting down uneven deposits on my rotors with the prolonged heat. I have now installed XP10's front & rear and will be trying them out soon. How are they different from the XP8's? I would like to get your feedback on how they work on the track and street since I don't change my pads and I drive to/from the track.
Thanks in advance.
ryan

Ryan, a few recommendations before you change pads to XP10. You still have stock rears and this will add to your front brake bias (nose dive given basic suspension) if you are pushing the car. And I suspect this is the cause for the front for perhaps overheating.

1) check if the rotors are slightly warpped; if so, you should have noticed this at the track when they get hot so perhaps truning them is worth it.

2) Check the same with your pads - measure the thickness of the pad at all four corners. Before putting then back on the turned rotors, scuff them on the asphalt so they get new bite. If they are wearing unevenly then the turned rotor will eat through the uneven part quicker but until then, braking performance will not be optimal.

Re performance, the difference between XP8 and XP10 is marginal for my driving in HPDE even with the CTSC, but then again, I am known to be easy on brakes. If you are really demanding on your brakes, the XP10 will be better suited under heat and they do have a higher coefficient of friction. But you really need to balance them with the rears. What BBK do you have on the front?

For street driving, and I know some others will disagree, I would not consider them safe unless you are fully aware and anticipate their lack of bite on initial few stops or cold and would NOT rely on them for emergency braking situations. The XP8s were marginally better for street driving. And both squeal when cold though you can minimize some by chaffering the outside edges 1/8". And I too occasionally drive back from the track on the XP10s depending on how late we are caravaning.

I went with XP10 since I have dedicated street pads - Bobcats. And swapping pads on BBK is really a breeze. Even Larry learned how to do it :eek::tongue:

Last edited:
I have used the hot lap timer from longacre and it works just fine.The pluses are that it is so popular that there is usualy someone who sets up a transmiter at every hpde.The downsides are if two people independently set them up without telling each other,the person setting it up leaves early,or with any line of site photobeam a car gets between you and the transmiter.

Second that on the longacre. Usually there is one transmitter that someone sets up and you are good to go!

Back