• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Let's vote, gentlemen what BBK is better for NSX???

What are the Best

• OEM

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Brembo GT

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Brembo GTR Monoblock

• Project Mu

• Stoptech

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Spoon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Endless

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Tarox

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other/not listed

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since Brembo vs PJM thread attracted much attention I'd like to post a pool.
What BBK is actually better (cost, performance, appearance) in you opinion?

It will be higly appreciated in case you will give us your more detailed comments according three different criteria:
- cost
- performance
- appearance

And the winner will be!?!?!?

Last edited:
Performance, looks (subjective -but the name of the world leader in braking), durability, pad options, support, and pedal feel, the Brembo GT kit beats them all. Yes a Brembo racing caliper would perform better, so would a PFC monoblock, but the added price does not warrant the performance advantage as their are maybe a handful of exceptions on this forum who would benefit from a racing caliper, let alone notice a difference. But if you have the money, why not?

Their are a couple options I would not even consider putting on a miata...

OEM calipers (rebuilt, in good, working condition), OEM red pads (nsx-r), steel lines, and RB +1" 2-piece rotors.

Its my understanding your nsx is street driven, and has only minor bolt-ons, why do you feel compelled to install an aftermarket braking system?

Last edited:
When I got my car it already had Brembos on the front, but I really don't like how it affects the balance. I've been looking at the RB stock caliper upgrade- does anyone know how much that would help?

I don't want to spend $4k on a rear Brembo/e-brake package. Of course, I don't think I ever use the e-brake anyway. Has anyone taken a look at this?

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1867

According to the chart he's got, it ought to bring my brake bias pretty close to stock levels. I know it's technically not as good as Brembo or any of the other high priced kits out there, but I have to think it would be better for the occasional track day than my current 80% front bias.

Nick

What brembo kit do you have up front?
Are you on stock rear caliper/rotor?
What pad combination do you have front and rear?
What suspension do you have (including tire size/model)?
What braking/handling problem are you encountering?

Are you making up a random number by saying 80% of your braking is up front? With my experience having stock rears are more than balanced with a GT front caliper if you don't have a problem elsewhere in your system.If you put a bbk in the rear you'll most likely need a prop valve or a less aggressive rear pad to offset the overpowering rear brakes with the same caliper/rotor bbk.

Last edited:
It's whatever came with the forgeline wheel package Comptech used to sell. Looks just like the GT set on SoS, but I'm not sure.

The rear brakes are stock calipers and rotors, and the few panic stops I have done so far feel like the front is trying to lock up and fighting against ABS well before the rear.

I have yet to change the pads, though, since I've owned the car for about seven months now. Whatever they are, they look to have plenty of life yet, so I haven't done too much research into replacing them.

Tire sizes are 235/40/17 front and 275/40/17 rear, with bilsteins on stock springs.

I'm not quite making up the 80%, either- at least I don't think so. Dali has a chart of brake force/bias numbers, and if it's correct, it looks like Brembo fronts with OEM calipers/13" rotors gives 76% front bias. Stock is supposed to be around 60%, I think, and with the stock rotors I have I must be higher than the 76% on the chart.

Nick

Its hard to troubleshoot without knowing what pads you have. The compound makes a huge difference, especially if you have an agressive pad on the brembo fronts and a weak street pad on your rear. Even if their is a lot of pad material left, the compound itself is what matters. I'm not familiar with the dali chart but pad compound and combinations make a huge difference in the performance and bias of your car.

Many pro race teams exeriment with different compounds front and rear, even though they have cockpit adjustable bias knobs.

I'd say find out what pads you have, and just replace the rears with a slightly more agressive one. Plus its easy to change it back.

True about the compound choice. Still, don't the aggressive pads eat rotors faster? I don't want to use something so extreme that it causes me to buy several sets of rotors.

Also, if I do start going to track days, larger rotors would be more resistant to fade. Of course, it could be wishful thinking on my part to think I would cook the brakes like that (I wish I were Michael Schumacher, but wishing won't make it so).

Lastly, and I feel sort of silly admitting this, I do think that the stock brakes look too small. Reminds me of a Civic with 18" wheels sometimes, compared to the fronts.

Have you heard of anyone who's tried the Racing Brake upgrade kit that uses the stock calipers? Since my car will almost exclusively be for street use, I guess I should keep the e-brake function. Plus, that would let me experiment with pads the way you suggest.

Nick

A more agressive pad dosnt necisarily mean more wear, especially since this is on the rear of the car that is unloaded during braking. The front brakes do the vast majority of braking and get the majority of load, stress, and heat. Yes a larger rear rotor would dissipate more heat but would not be necessary if you just had a better rotor-friendly streetable pad. I have tracked a few nsxs with the brembo gt kit and stock rears, these are dd cars and had a perfect balance on the track and worked great as a street setup. Ill ask what pads they're using and let you know.

If looks are important and u want the bigger rear rotor, racing brake is the best option for you. I've cracked a few of their products as well as had a big failure, but those were front rotors under heavy abuse, since yours would be on the less-stressed rear, and the fact many are running their larger rotors without a problem, you should be fine. Personally I'd just put a better rear pad on and save your money, but racing brake is the least expensive best option if you just need a visually pore pleasing rear rotor to fill the wheel.

Last edited:
OEM calipers (rebuilt, in good, working condition), OEM red pads (nsx-r), steel lines, and RB +1" 2-piece rotors.

Its my understanding your nsx is street driven, and has only minor bolt-ons, why do you feel compelled to install an aftermarket braking system?

If this one addresed to me...:smile:

1. Performance - due to 3 in bigger wheels -more havy, higher inertia...
2. Modern/Nice looking (in 19' RR wheels OEM looks quite poor)
3. Will do an upgrade to engine this winter (so better to be prepared)

Have you heard of anyone who's tried the Racing Brake upgrade kit that uses the stock calipers? Since my car will almost exclusively be for street use, I guess I should keep the e-brake function. Plus, that would let me experiment with pads the way you suggest.

Nick

If you read my post above I have addressed what you have just said.

Here is what they look like:

Last edited:
Sounds good, and thanks for the picture. That's probably what I will be getting, especially if I can't sell my supercharger. If I do end up installing the thing, I'm probably going to need some good brakes.

Nick

my .02 on Nick's problem. buying a set of pads is the cheapest way. If that doesn't help, you could always sell it and that, you might lost $20 at most case. I've used the carbotech panther+ for years and have been very happy with it. I don't know about your tracking experience, but if you stay in WA, most likely you will be tracking at PR and that, the track really not that hard on brakes. As a matter of fact, my lap time started improving once I stopped stomping on brakes at braking zones, and now, I'm easier on brakes than before yet turning faster lap times.

I'm outbraking many cars with BBK, and not thinking about upgrading to BBK, until after I put a set of "real" suspension in my car.
I'm still using stock size brakes (stoptech aerorotors) and I'll be at Pacific Raceways on 13th this month. Feel free coming by and chat.

one more thing you overlooked, Tires: the stickiness and tire pressure. That could contribute to your unbalanced panic stop experience.

What time on the 13th? I'll try to be there, but if it's earlier in the day, I might not be able to get away from work.

I did just get some decent tires (the old ones were actually way too old), so it will be interesting to see how that changes things. If you're right about the kit being unnecessary at PR, though, that leaves me with only the fashion reason to get a bigger rotor.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Nick

Nick,

Just so you know before I changed to BBK....I upgraded to stock sized crossed drill rotors, steel braided lines and new pads. That still did not stop as good as my BBK's. I was running on 18,19s wheels at the time with Falken 451 tires. I had trouble stopping with that set up as in stopping on a dime. Now with the BBK when I stomp on the brakes, it bites and I stop immediately with no skipping like I had with the stock sized rotors. So coming from my experience you will see a big difference in a BBK.

With my set up (RB 2 piece oversized, openslot rotors) that I have, it is more than enough for a street/track set up. (as in track once in a whiles and will perform pretty darn good)

If you are a hardcore racer/track car guy with the driving experience of a Billy Johnson then yes getting the baller Brembos Monoblock GT's/AP's/Stoptechs/ProjectMu( no rears made with e brake though) would be a good choice.

$2800 bucks and your done with the RB kit....and no I am not affiliated with RB. I got them and they perform well for what they are, for street guys just like me. Good luck on whatever you decide......any BBK will be better then the puny oem brakes.

Just to name a few that run this kit beside me
Anil(SerialNSxer)- 3.8L
Jon Martin- 3.8L
Oakley designer guy-3.8L
and many other guys.

We did have to shave down the caliper just a tad bit to clear but thats it.

Last edited:
Now is it more or less equal score for Brembo/MU/OEM let's vote guys! to know who wll be finally winner in this field. we have 2 weeks to complete the pool.

If the complete RB kit costs $2,800. I would just get the Brembo Gran Turismo Big Brake Kit (Which is the "Lotus caliper")- for the front only. SOS is selling this for $2,599.00 and combined with the stock rear brakes delivers a better pedal feel, modulation, performance, fade resistance, and durability.

Back