• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lexus LF-A will triple GT-R's price

Lexus LF-A Supercar Will Cost $225,000
Date posted: 05-20-2008

lexus.lfa.concept.prf.500.jpg

PASADENA, California — After three auto show appearances and the occasional spy photo and video from Germany's high-speed Nürburgring test circuit, it's no secret that the Lexus LF-A supercar concept is headed for production. With an estimated 500 horsepower coming from the LF-A's 5.0-liter V10, we didn't expect the Lexus to come cheap, but Inside Line has learned that the car will carry a price tag over $200,000.

Ben Mitchell, corporate product planning manager for Lexus, confirmed that the price of the carbon-fiber supercar "will begin with a two." And another Lexus source in Japan told Inside Line the price may be as high as $225,000.

Shown in both coupe and roadster forms, the LF-A will first launch as a coupe. Roadster versions will be priced even higher. Both body styles are approximately 2 inches shorter and an inch narrower than the 483-hp Ferrari F430, with a similarly sized wheelbase. A 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider costs $211,525.

Although final specifications have not yet been released, Lexus says the LF-A will reach a top speed over 200 mph.

Lexus is gunning for the Italians with the LF-A, and it's not going to cut any corners in its quest to deliver a legitimate supercar. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

Meh... if anything, I'd say the GT-R will reduce the value of the Lexus. A lot of people looking for a car that can do xyz will not even have to wait for the Lexus, since the GT-R is already here. Others who want exclusivity are not even the "market" for the GT-R, so it doesn't matter.

I think they might be aiming a little high with that one. Who in their right mind would buy that over a f430?

They will have a VERY hard time selling them, specially after the first 6 months of "hey it is the cool new thing" period.

Saw live the spyder version last month and it DOES look cool, just not 200k cool with a toyota brand... ;)

Meh... if anything, I'd say the GT-R will reduce the value of the Lexus. A lot of people looking for a car that can do xyz will not even have to wait for the Lexus, since the GT-R is already here. Others who want exclusivity are not even the "market" for the GT-R, so it doesn't matter.

Or it could the other way as well. Increasing the value of the GT-R. With GT-R's price tag, there are not many playmates for it. Most cars with the GT-R performance seems to be WAY in the higher price range. But personally would like to see what to commented.:cool:

Yeah I just saw the article on edmunds this morning. Yikes! Funny but isn't that the same price internet rumor put on Acuras next sportscar? Yes I know they ( Honda ) said this wasn't true but I'll bet they'll looking to price not too far off after this since it will be a similar set up.

Looks like Toyota is aiming after the 599 not the F430. Sweet!

9000 rpm redline (supposedly - not confirmed), active aero, exotic looks, and more power than an F430, along with Lexus build quality and reliability?

I'd take one!

I think they might be aiming a little high with that one. Who in their right mind would buy that over a f430?

I agree there...for that price...I'd rather get a used Lambo or used F-Car. I was never a big "gotta have the newest now now now" person anyway. :cool:

If anyone can do it, LEXUS can.

Honda/Acura sure as hell can't. They can barely move their RLs.

I damn sure hope they remember that:biggrin:

9000rpm 5.0L V10...and only 500HP??:confused: Yea right, this will have much closer to 575HP when released...and it will NEED to in order to be even remotely marketable at that price. Being you have much more presigeous brands (a la Lamborghini) now offer 560HP in their Gallardo... at $20K less*

9000rpm 5.0L V10...and only 500HP??:confused: Yea right, this will have much closer to 575HP when released...and it will NEED to in order to be even remotely marketable at that price. Being you have much more presigeous brands (a la Lamborghini) now offer 560HP in their Gallardo... at $20K less*

well, if they follow in the way of the GTR, it'll be highly underrated hp numbers.

It's funny how alot of us, myself included say "only 500hp" when we're only pushed 270 hp at the crank lol.

Those side vents on top the rear fenders look like they could INHALE a vulture, lol.

The price could be justified under the right circumstances. If the maintenance is half of the competition [wouldn't be difficult] and depreciation is half of the competition, the value would be excellent. The NSX wasn't cheap in 91 either, it wouldn't be too far off a 200k Lexus released in a couple years given many were sold for 90k.

If I was just going to screw around with an exotic for a couple years-sure I'd take a lambo or fcar. But if I was going to get a car to last me 10 years, the Lexus would be quite appealing. Being able to go on road trips and not worrying about it at 60k miles. Actually being able to drive it and not worrying about it costing you a hamburger every mile and it losing half its value after 20k miles.

anyway. in those potential buyers' eyes, F430 or Gallardo beats it in looking.
Performance, not a very big deal unless we race on track.
BRAND NAME = Ferrari or LAMBO > lexus.
i am sure that a lot of people will walk to F430 instead of a lexus. although i am not the one who cares about brand,i will say F430 or Gallardo.

i dont think its maintenance will be much cheaper than a ferrari. it may cost less,but wont be much. like nsx, clutch=3000, TB WP=1700. even it's still a HONDA.

sell for over 220k, i will say good luck. nissan will show us a big smile. :biggrin:

Yikes...Lexus just priced themselves out of reach for most of us who thought there was an italian alternative. On the otherhand, it wouldn't be a supercar without the supercar price tag & exclusivity right? No thanks, I'll pass.

There is no way that this will beat Ferrari at holding its value. Lambos don't hold value that well but unless they are going to release these in very limited numbers, I can't see it doing any better than a Lambo.

People in the 200k range don't really sit there and calculate maintenance costs either- it just comes down to the "got to have it" factor. In this economy and with the not-so-sporty image of the Lexus brand, I think that Lexus is pushing it too far when it comes to pricing.

we cant say that they dont care about maintenance cost. if they dont care, all the Ferraris are low mileage. if they dont care, they will just drive as much as they can. how come people dont keep them so long? there was an article that talking about cost on driving a ferrari. LOL. like every mile u drive, it cost a Crispy Chicken in Mcdownalds':biggrin:

Back