• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Light front end at speed?

Hey guys - posting here to liven up this place; I know that there are probably better places to put this, but hey, lets talk!

When I get up to 100ish mph, my front end starts to feel light. Its an unusual feeling to me having the steering feeling somewhat disconnected from the road. Its not comforting. It doesnt feel unstable, but it does feel light, like power steering is amplified.

I dont believe this is normal, but anyone have an ideas what I should check first? Alignment? Pressures should be okay.

All stock. 02 Chin spoiler still on. Road conditions dry, no wind. Not sure about alignment specs, but as from dealer.

Ill give it another go - it could just be grooves from trucks in the road - but yes - exactly like hydroplaning. Gardner is bad for those.

My 91 felt similar, I figured it was due to my old oem springs/shocks? I replaced my suspension last year with Bilstein HD Shocks and Dali Springs. The front end feels way more stable now at higher speeds, not that I exceed the speed limit or anything! :rolleyes:

I would check your Alingment it must be off.... I had my car you to 140MPH and rock steady....everything stock.

Bram

SPA_S2000 said:
Hey guys - posting here to liven up this place; I know that there are probably better places to put this, but hey, lets talk!

When I get up to 100ish mph, my front end starts to feel light. Its an unusual feeling to me having the steering feeling somewhat disconnected from the road. Its not comforting. It doesnt feel unstable, but it does feel light, like power steering is amplified.

I dont believe this is normal, but anyone have an ideas what I should check first? Alignment? Pressures should be okay.

The front felt light on my NSX's as well when over about 110 mph....I solved the problem when the car was lowered and I added a slightly deeper front chin spoiler. My car feel much better now when at higher speeds.

Meeyatch1 said:
The front felt light on my NSX's as well when over about 110 mph....I solved the problem when the car was lowered and I added a slightly deeper front chin spoiler. My car feel much better now when at higher speeds.

Which chin spoiler?

The NSX creates quite a bit of frontal lift at speed. I believe this is due to the car evacuating airflow under the car instead of over the cowl. I'm unsure why Honda did not create an area for airflow to pass over the cowl. However, the NSX-R vented hood allows increased cooling efficiency and much improved frontal aerodynamics supported by Honda's published wind tunnel testing. Several options are available to early cars to install the vented hood with a similar design. From my own experience, the hoods produce a noticeable increase in front end stability.

Cheers,
-- Chris

My 91 is rock solid up to 250 kph. Haven't gone faster yet. The steering wheel was completely still, like I was at the parking lot. I did have another passenger in the car so there was added weight. That was when the suspension was stock.

Now I have Dali progressive springs with Bilstien HD and have not got my alignment done yet nor have I got up to speeds since... I'll let you know if there is much of a difference.

Where do you get the oppertunity to run @250KPH !!!

Bram

lithiumus said:
My 91 is rock solid up to 250 kph. Haven't gone faster yet. The steering wheel was completely still, like I was at the parking lot. I did have another passenger in the car so there was added weight. That was when the suspension was stock.

Now I have Dali progressive springs with Bilstien HD and have not got my alignment done yet nor have I got up to speeds since... I'll let you know if there is much of a difference.

Bram said:
Where do you get the oppertunity to run @250KPH !!!

Bram

Haha! I was going up to Parry Sound last month for a stag and decided to take the NSX up. When we were close to the cottage, there was a nice long stretch of road that was newly paved with little to no traffic and several KM of road visibility... needless to say and quickly took advantage of it... :biggrin:

Back