• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lightweight ABS bracket

When starting the late model ABS conversion, I noticed the kind of hoaky way that Honda handled the bracketry on the new unit, so I decided to design and fab a new bracket, hoping to save some weight too as some of the late model parts are steel. I made it from various thicknesses of 6061-T6 and black anodized it when finished. It took a LOT of hours. Saved right at 2#. I'll do a write up on the conversion itself after I test.

Attachments

• 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 156
Wow, that is some impressive fabrication.

I with Brad: that is beautiful.

Drew

True, it is a nice fab job.

But how much weight does it save?:wink:

My real question is how much will it cost (over the factory bracket)? I'm not looking to upgrade my ABS, but at some point, I may need to as the first gen ABS parts get scarce. My 89 Legend had the same system and when the modulator crapped out, Acura wanted like $1500 for the replacement part. So I learned to pump the brakes again.

Miner

Acura wanted like $1500

The ALB breaks down into many discrete components that are all easy to fix. Brad and I have beat this to death in other threads: the parts are available and the unit is easy to fix.

The $1500 is because Honda North America is shy of liability exposure and replaces the entire assembly as a single unit. No thinking or workmanship is involved and therefore less lawsuits.

Of course, the 2000+ ABS is a better solution, but it costs a lot of time and money...stuff that is probably spent on other more useful things.

Drew

The simplicity of the late model unit makes it VERY attractive (and it's so small and cute-barf), but it does cost 1500-1600 bucks minimum if you do it yourself, so it's probably only for folks like me that will be keeping the car, well forever. This thing better work well. I will let all know how it works later. Regarding the bracket - I SAVED 2 POUNDS!! My bracket weighs 15.8 oz's. Yes, I am crazy. The cost effective way to go is to canabalize the existing bracket as it's designed for a 23 # unit and the new one is 5 something (they use the same nisson bracket) The stock bracket does have some significant areas that could be wacked off. BTW the total conversion netted me within a few oz's of 17#, so the conversion using stock uncanabalized componants would save 15#. The reported number of 15.7 pounds savings is about right if you don't count the wiring harness which is 12 oz 's.

The ALB breaks down into many discrete components that are all easy to fix. Brad and I have beat this to death in other threads: the parts are available and the unit is easy to fix.

The $1500 is because Honda North America is shy of liability exposure and replaces the entire assembly as a single unit. No thinking or workmanship is involved and therefore less lawsuits.

Of course, the 2000+ ABS is a better solution, but it costs a lot of time and money...stuff that is probably spent on other more useful things.

Drew

Drew,

I'm with you. This was on my Legend back in '93 or early '94. I sold the car after I bought my NSX in 2000, so my particular problem is OBE. I now also have an '02 TL and must say the ABS on my TL is far smoother than my NSX. When the ABS on my NSX does fail, I will make the decision to either fix it or spend the money on an upgrade, factoring in the intagables such as convenience and neat looking hand fabricated aluminum brackets that save 2#.:wink:

Miner

...The cost effective way to go is to canabalize the existing bracket as it's designed for a 23 # unit and the new one is 5 something (they use the same nisson bracket) The stock bracket does have some significant areas that could be wacked off...

Has anyone here on prime done this? I would be curious to know what areas could be wacked off!

Thanks

Back