• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lightweight Battery

Can anyone recommend a lightweight lithium battery (along with the kit if needed) for my 1991 NSX? I was able to find several threads in the forums, but they are several years old.

The light weight battery’s are more trouble then they are worth. Just get a good Interstate and call it a day.

I probably have a billet aluminum Odyssey battery mount bracket somewhere if you are dead set on a lightweight battery. I got the special float charger you need for them to. Make sure you get one from reputable dealer so you get the warranty you will need it the two I had lasted about a 2 seasons each.

Last edited:
I have a Shorai battery plate and Shorai charger - like a 6 or 7 lb setup.
They battery could be held with two fingers.
This battery was not intended for high charging current, so don't planning on draining your battery down and having this work a long time.
The battery was not intended for autos, but ATVs
It has a brief love (with me included):
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...7-pound-setup-Direct-bolt-on?highlight=shorai
But, again it was super light; mine lasted quite a long time (4 or 5 years).
Mine failed with ~ 6 volts output, so I expect some juncture between the banks or the internal charging circuit died.
If you want to give this a go then PM me and I will sell for $50 (mounting plate adapter/battery holder and charger)
It fits the low weight you request.
I replaced mine with a semi old school AGM (heavy Bosch)
I still think it was a cool idea, maybe not of the possibilities sorted out.

Hang tight just a bit. I believe @nsxnemo is working on a kit!

Thanks Mexi.

Yes, I have a kit going in production as we speak that will utilize Antigravity Battery ATX-20-RS and will be nsx specific with no modifications to mount.

I have also been using this battery the past year and absolutely love its built-in restart feature. Haven't had the need for a tender and weighs less than 3.5 lbs. More info to come later when kit is available.

Thanks Mexi.

Yes, I have a kit going in production as we speak that will utilize Antigravity Battery ATX-20-RS and will be nsx specific with no modifications to mount.

I have also been using this battery the past year and absolutely love its built-in restart feature. Haven't had the need for a tender and weighs less than 3.5 lbs. More info to come later when kit is available.

That's next level. Keep us updated Nemo-san :biggrin:

Interested. That's lighter than the SuperCap I was considering 3D printing a housing for.

Last edited:
I've been using Odyssey PC925T batteries for years and am quite happy with them and their light weight.
H-

Thanks Mexi.

I recently installed an AntiGravity battery in my '91 after going thru several Interstate batteries with a trickle charger. the Antigravity is amazing, spins up so fast with so much power. And the remote reset for a possible draw down is a very nice feature. I parked the car for five weeks. The car fired right with no hesitation. Not cheap but I doubt I'll be buying another battery for 7-8 years. I fully endorse.

I recently installed an AntiGravity battery in my '91 after going thru several Interstate batteries with a trickle charger. the Antigravity is amazing, spins up so fast with so much power. And the remote reset for a possible draw down is a very nice feature. I parked the car for five weeks. The car fired right with no hesitation. Not cheap but I doubt I'll be buying another battery for 7-8 years. I fully endorse.

Good afternoon [MENTION=25419]Valhalla[/MENTION]. Looking into this battery. Curious about the battery life. Do you think battery lasts 5 months without charging? Might need to store the car for a while and would be awesome to be able to fire it right up after 5 months at a standstill. Curious to hear more about your experience with AntiGravity. Is this the one you got: Group35/Q85 Lithium Car Battery ?

Thanks!

Good afternoon @Valhalla. Looking into this battery. Curious about the battery life. Do you think battery lasts 5 months without charging? Might need to store the car for a while and would be awesome to be able to fire it right up after 5 months at a standstill. Curious to hear more about your experience with AntiGravity. Is this the one you got: Group35/Q85 Lithium Car Battery ?

Thanks!

That is the model I have. Comes with two (2) remotes. The lesser model has the same feature of holding back an emergency amount of power but the reset button is on the top of the actual battery. I recently left the country for five weeks. When I came home the car started right up, just as if I had driven it only the day before.

The beauty of this battery is if it does draw down due to inactivity or system drain, it hold back a little power and then goes dormant. This is a nice feature for two reasons. The first is it will not leave you stranded, you will have enough batter power to start your car. The other reason is the dormant feature. Most batteries die because the discharge to zero which kills the cells. This battery will not self destruct. I look for a long happy life with one.

I purchased mine from the shop where i work. We Don't Lift Racing in Tempe, AZ. They are a factory dealer for AntiGravity batteries.

Last edited:
That is the model I have. Comes with two (2) remotes. The lesser model has the same feature of holding back an emergency amount of power but the reset button is on the top of the actual battery. I recently left the country for five weeks. When I came home the car started right up, just as if I had driven it only the day before.

The beauty of this battery is if it does draw down due to inactivity or system drain, it hold back a little power and then goes dormant. This is a nice feature for two reasons. The first is it will not leave you stranded, you will have enough batter power to start your car. The other reason is the dormant feature. Most batteries die because the discharge to zero which kills the cells. This battery will not self destruct. I look for a long happy life with one.

I purchased mine from the shop where i work. We Don't Lift Racing in Tempe, AZ. They are a factory dealer for AntiGravity batteries.
[MENTION=25419]Valhalla[/MENTION] Much appreciated! Somehow I missed your reply. Saw it just now. Grabbing one of those soon! Thanks again.

I have a Shorai battery plate and Shorai charger - like a 6 or 7 lb setup.
They battery could be held with two fingers.
This battery was not intended for high charging current, so don't planning on draining your battery down and having this work a long time.
The battery was not intended for autos, but ATVs
It has a brief love (with me included):
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...7-pound-setup-Direct-bolt-on?highlight=shorai
But, again it was super light; mine lasted quite a long time (4 or 5 years).
Mine failed with ~ 6 volts output, so I expect some juncture between the banks or the internal charging circuit died.
If you want to give this a go then PM me and I will sell for $50 (mounting plate adapter/battery holder and charger)
It fits the low weight you request.
I replaced mine with a semi old school AGM (heavy Bosch)
I still think it was a cool idea, maybe not of the possibilities sorted out.
Do you still have the mounting plate that you’d like to sell?

There is this one by sakebomb garage: https://www.sakebombgarage.com/atx-30-billet-battery-mount/ it seems like it is nsx specific.
This is a really great battery - we use these in all of the RX7's, NSX, and other custom builds here. We only sell the re-start version of the batteries, with a full 880 cranking amps, the battery will also never require a jump start or leave you stranded as it will shut itself off at 12v leaving you enough backup capacity to crank the car over many times after pressing the button on top to wake it up. This also makes the batteries much safer than all other Lithium Ion batteries which can get pulled down below their safety threshold, when recharging a Lithium Ion battery cells can become compromised if the battery is pulled down too far causing a battery fire (we've seen this with cheap Li batteries here in person).

This mount kit is technically a universal billet mount we make - but, is threaded at the bottom so you can attach to the stock battery tray very quickly by drilling three small m6 holes. (you will want to select the top posts unless you are doing custom wiring). Works flawlessly! Highly recommended, cranks the car over faster and works great for cars that sit a long time.

Last edited:
@SakeBomb Garage - Looking at a new battery for my '92 and came across this thread. On your website, the ATX-30 Re-start is the only battery model shown for the NSX. The manufacturer website lists the Group-35/Q85 battery for the NSX though, with a much higher price point.

Is this a plug-n-play battery or are there any specific electronics required for charging? I don't see anything shown but am not familiar with Lithium Ion batteries for vehicles.

@SakeBomb Garage - Looking at a new battery for my '92 and came across this thread. On your website, the ATX-30 Re-start is the only battery model shown for the NSX. The manufacturer website lists the Group-35/Q85 battery for the NSX though, with a much higher price point.

Is this a plug-n-play battery or are there any specific electronics required for charging? I don't see anything shown but am not familiar with Lithium Ion batteries for vehicles.
I installed the ATX-20 battery in my car and so far, so good. On the electronics side it is plug and play. No specific electronics required. The alternator does just fine in keeping the battery charged. Just make sure you get the terminal post adapters.

The ATX-30 and ATX-20 batteries are a lot smaller than the lead acid batteries, so you will need a battery tray. I went with the GREYMRKT battery tray. I made a short install video here:

As for the Group-35/Q85 battery, based on the dimensions, I believe it's a direct replacement for the lead acid battery. A much higher price point indeed.

@JasoNSX @bogle - thank you both for the info! Any specific reasoning why the restart feature is potentially problematic? It sounds like it would be a neat feature... not sure if it's entirely necessary, but curious why it could cause issues.

I'm seriously thinking of going this way when my battery dies, so I have a question since these batteries aren't cheap, and neither are the custom holders, which cost more than some of the batteries.

With the cost of the custom holder/battery tray ($660?), why not just save $ & go with the AntiGravity Group-35 Lithium Car Battery and use your existing holder? Or the $659 Group 51R from the CRV? (And Zanardi NSX...) It seems like better value than the ATX 30 or 20HD ($415 with terminals) and custom holder $$, providing way more starting current and reserve, without being that much heavier. It should just drop right in and you don't need to store your old holder.

(If the stock holder is too heavy, lose a pound with the 3D-printed 51R holder that I posted in the 3D DIY forum.)

Last edited:
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the ATX-20 HD along with Antigravity's battery tray. Quite a bit cheaper than the GREYMRKT one. I'll figure out how to mount it...shouldn't be too bad considering it's substantially smaller than the stock battery.

I'm seriously thinking of going this way when my battery dies, so I have a question since these batteries aren't cheap, and neither are the custom holders, which cost more than some of the batteries.

With the cost of the custom holder/battery tray ($660?), why not just save $ & go with the AntiGravity Group-35 Lithium Car Battery and use your existing holder? Or the $659 Group 51R from the CRV? (And Zanardi NSX...) It seems like better value than the ATX 30 or 20HD ($415 with terminals) and custom holder $$, providing way more starting current and reserve, without being that much heavier. It should just drop right in and you don't need to store your old holder.

(If the stock holder is too heavy, lose a pound with the 3D-printed 51R holder that I posted in the 3D DIY forum.) If someone wants me to and has their own 3D printer, PM me and I'll draft up an ASA holder for the ATX batteries.
I did some shopping around and was able to purchase all the parts separately for a total of $608, after shipping and taxes. So, for me it happened to be the cheapest option. $265 for the battery tray, $315 for the ATX-20 battery, and $28 for the terminals. The $660 price tag is actually the battery tray and battery combo, if you're referencing the one listed on Kuya Auto.

Thanks for the insight about the group 51R battery. I didn't know that was an option when I was looking for a new battery. You learn something new every day.

For the most part, yes this is a plug n play battery. You might need the terminal adapters to adapt the positive and negative terminals on the battery.

As far as charging the ATX-30, you would have to get a specific Lithium-Ion battery charger. If you use any other battery charger that is not Lithium-Ion compatible, then you will damage the cells in the battery immediately.

Back