• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ling's NSX Build

My name is Andrew Ling and I am the owner of this Red on black 1992 Acura NSX. To start off, I've always been a fan of the NSX as I always loved watching Best Motoring videos. The astonishing balance between power and suspension settings made me love the car even more. I started doing drivers ed during freshman year and during my sophomore year, I had received my license. I drove a 2008 Toyota Tacoma around for a few months and at the same time, I would always look on craigslist for local listings on 90's JDM vehicles like the RX7 FD, Supra, and NSX. Around Summer time of 2016 I saw a white Supra at a smog shop and I asked the owner if he was selling it and he was. It was a 1995 Diamond White Pearl Hardtop NA AUTO Supra. It wasn't fast, but I really liked the way it looked. During my ownership, I replaced a lot of interior parts because I am a strong believer in having a pristine interior first than performance mods second. But during August of 2017, someone rammed into my parked Supra at work and caused damage to the hood, bumper, headlights and fender. I sold it around October of 2017 for double what I purchased for and began looking for an NSX. The car had 28k miles on it and needed a new timing belt and radio but I didn't mind as I was going to do those two items anyways.

When the vehicle arrived, I gave the entire car a deep clean on both the exterior and interior. Unlike most teens, I don't really like to go fast. I rather maintain a mostly stock vehicle to enjoy in its purest form. The leather was dried out, so I applied Lexol Leather Conditioner on them for 24 hours adding a coating after 2 hours of first application. The interior has some defects though that I would like to address. A small tear on the driver seat bolster, wrinkled trim in the interior, broken top vent piece, small scratch in center console, old musty carpets, worn shift knob, and a tear on the sun visors from expansion over the years. These parts I will mostly replace with new OEM parts in the next coming months. The exterior has some flaws like a scratched front lip, fender liner clips are broken from age, tail lights has a small leak somewhere, Door seals are old but no water is making it into the interior yet just some noise. I plan to soon jack up the car and clean the fender wells too but I haven't had the time due to school. I have zero period and work right after school so I can only allocate a certain amount of time each weekend to fix up my car, but soon it will be super clean!

Attachments

• IMG_7592.jpg
    IMG_7592.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,395
  • IMG_7618.jpg
    IMG_7618.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 1,417
  • IMG_7622.jpg
    IMG_7622.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 1,471
Last edited:
Interior

Here are some pictures of the leather being cleaned and the application of Lexol Leather Conditioner. Allowing the conditioner to sit over night and periodically applying a coat of it really brings the suppleness back. I used Meguiars super degreaser diluted 1:12 to clean it first. Then applied the conditioner. I used Jason Mark, a shoe cleaner that cleans leather mixed with hot water to get the conditioner off because Jason Mark doesn't pull the moisture of the leather out but merely removes the excess coating. As a result, you can clearly see a different between the shine of the leather. The leather should be a matte finish after cleaning which means the leather is clean like in new cars you see in dealerships!

Attachments

• NSx 5.jpg
    NSx 5.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 1,397
  • NSX 9.jpg
    NSX 9.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 1,396
  • NSX 1.jpg
    NSX 1.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 1,393
  • NSX 7.jpg
    NSX 7.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 1,385
  • NSx 10.jpg
    NSx 10.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 1,386
  • NSx 8.jpg
    NSx 8.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 1,376
  • NSX 6.jpg
    NSX 6.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 1,379
Nice, man. The interior looks like it is in excellent condition. I'm shocked the radio trim finish hasn't started coming up yet. Very well taken care of car!

Outside of restoring the interior, you have any additional plans for the future?

Nice!

Are you going to put standard license plates on it, or Historic/Collector type plates (& Insurance)?

Thanks man! My plans are to improve on what honda developed the car as. Currently,I ordered some spoon rigid collars that will go on when I do my timing belt and water pump service!

I am probably going to get a historic license plate next year but currently I have regular plates. For insurance I use Statefarm.
Nice!

Are you going to put standard license plates on it, or Historic/Collector type plates (& Insurance)?

Last week, I bought the car to Oakland Acura for the timing belt service and Gary at Oakland Acura was amazing! He pointed out the faults that were common on the NSX and recommended me what I should purchase even if it wasn't broken. He also helped me check all the coolant hoses and made sure no one washed my car. While it was in service, I ordered some new parts. First, is the Pride V2 exhaust with the muffler so it isn't the RFL version. Second, I purchased the Spoon Rigid Collars during a group buy in the Norcal NSX group. The quality of the exhaust is nice, but I think if I was to purchase it again, I wouldn't pay extra for the tips. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the quality and buying process though! I am going to install the exhaust probably this afternoon, and I will probably make a video on it because just to document it. Next, is new tires and brakes and then I will bring the car to either Laguna Seca or Sonoma Raceway. The raw feeling of the NSX without powering steering itches me to drive it everyday and since November, I already put 2000 miles on it haha. The NSX will probably be only going to a few track events because I am in the process of looking for a high mileage cheap S2000 to beat on. Since I'm still hella young, I am probably going to daily the S2000 if I get one!

Last edited:
Wait, you're a TEENAGER?!?! Congrats!!

Your seats still look dry. I use http://www.leatherique.com "rejuvinator" (liquid mink oil works well too). Apply generously and then cover with Saran Wrap or something similar letting it soak overnight. If it's warm where you are all the better to soak in. When done, wipe clean and buff with a clean soft towel. Doing this you can get them butter soft again.

Your seats still look dry. I use http://www.leatherique.com "rejuvinator" (liquid mink oil works well too). Apply generously and then cover with Saran Wrap or something similar letting it soak overnight. If it's warm where you are all the better to soak in. When done, wipe clean and buff with a clean soft towel. Doing this you can get them butter soft again.
Thanks for the suggestion! I seen Obsessed Garage use leatherique on his s2000 seats and they seem to work wonders. I was planning to buy some leatherique but I invested my money into some new oem parts for the NSX!

Nice video. Sounds really good. The blue exhaust tips go over the existing tips?
Yes Professor X. Pride offers the option to have the existing tips burnt to blue but they will oxidize a lot quicker so I decided to see what the titanium slip ons look like, but I will probably run it without the tips eventually.

Welcome and good to see you putting in some meticulous work into the interior!
Thanks! I've been saving up my pay checks to buy some new floor mats, center console, and possibly fix the small tear in the driver seat. Right now I have the Zanardi/type-s shift knob on order, Na1 leather type r shift boot, and the oem short shifter.

Back