• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Listing with a Broker or For Sale by Owner?

Interesting thread, I read this with a very neutral attitude as I have experience on both ends and similar to the OP, bought quite a few homes but haven't sold many :)

I think with real estate, a lot depends on your location. In Silicon Valley, it's a very hot market even today. I just heard on the news last night a small slice of land between two homes in San Francisco priced at $199k....before you say that is a smoking deal, this is a PARCEL of land (914 sq foot). On the news they said it was actually zoned RH-2 meaning it can be a duplex!

http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2015/09/14/sliver-of-san-francisco-land-on-market-for-199000/

My point here is what's hot and works in one area of the country may not work elsewhere.

We are planning to sell one of our homes and my wife and I have debated the FSBO vs. agent approach. At this point we may just go with a Redfin agent since there is a set rebate amount back. I'm in agreement with the OP that for the amount of work a realtor performs DOES NOT justify the money they receive. Around here you can't touch any home for under $1M so doing the math that is $30k on each side at 3% each.

What do you guys think about Redfin's offer scenario?

Back