• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Local independent mechanics

Just saw this thread. Welcome to the club, definitely welcome more Nsx' on the rough Colorado roads. I personally use Chris Wayland at Flatirons, but I too have heard good things about Paul in the Springs. I'm a fan of Indy type companies also, but when it comes to your NSX. Go with the experience and factory training. Sorry man, just my .02 But again man welcome, look forward to meeting you at some event.

Just saw this thread. Welcome to the club, definitely welcome more Nsx' on the rough Colorado roads. I personally use Chris Wayland at Flatirons, but I too have heard good things about Paul in the Springs. I'm a fan of Indy type companies also, but when it comes to your NSX. Go with the experience and factory training. Sorry man, just my .02 But again man welcome, look forward to meeting you at some event.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Likewise, I'm looking forward to meeting some of the local NSX crowd.

Thanks also for the Colorado welcome!!
I just imported a 1991 JDM NSX through JDM Expo. I am very excited about the car and it looks like there are quite a few NSXs here in Colorado. I guess we are all waiting for the warmer weather to come back :D

Thanks also for the Colorado welcome!!
I just imported a 1991 JDM NSX through JDM Expo. I am very excited about the car and it looks like there are quite a few NSXs here in Colorado. I guess we are all waiting for the warmer weather to come back :D

Congrats on the car. I actually plan on getting mine out for a little drive today. Given the abnormally warm & dry fall, I've been driving the car much more than I thought would be possible this time of year. I don't know if there's a Colorado NSX group. It would be cool to show up en masse to Cars & Coffee, which was recently moved from Lafayette to Golden.

That sounds like a great idea!! I think the nice days might be getting fewer, but definitely once spring time comes back, I would like to go for some drives with a group.

When the weather gets better I'd love to meet up.
I highly recommend Paul at Pikes Peak.. he did my CT Supercharger and knows the NSX well. Nice guy.. and is also NSX certified.

I was not happy with Courtesy Acura.. Which is a shame since its close to my house. Called for a timing belt and water pump cost a few years ago.. Quoted me $4,000.. Seriously.-- 4,000!!!! ( I said are your sure?? just the timing belt and pump.. That's it) (4 years ago.. maybe things have changed)

Called Pikes Peak.. $1600 and free loaner..... I can't speak of the quality of Courtesy.. but I can tell you about the quote!!! --

The does sounds high, but sadly when it comes to dealerships with certified NSX mechanics, that doesn't surprise me. I have even been to Pikes Peak Acura and had an oil change and antenna replacement on my 95 integra, and got slammed with almost $400 in LABOR alone, because they base it of the average "time and rate of a master mechanic". I said, so I had the honor of a "master mechanic" working on my little integra's antenna? Didn't get very far with that one. But needless to say, they haven't gotten any further business from me.

Sorry for thread resurrection..

Just had flatiron now Fisher Acura quoted me timing belt and it was around $3100 (including WP, thermostat, timing belt, etc *I guess the whole package). I suppose NSX parts are really hard to get and getting more expensive.

Sorry for thread resurrection..Just had flatiron now Fisher Acura quoted me timing belt and it was around $3100 (including WP, thermostat, timing belt, etc *I guess the whole package). I suppose NSX parts are really hard to get and getting more expensive.
- I would suggest calling Pikes Peak Acura, in the Springs. They are right off I-25 South. $3100 seems high. Pike Peak quoted me $1600 over the phone, granted that was a few years ago. Paul Z down there is a master mechanic and is NSX certified. He installed my CT Supercharger - He knows his stuff.Call Science of Speed.. and ask what they currently charge also.. They will be cheaper than the dealer but at least you can get a baseline also ask how much the belt , pump and thermostat is.. They usually have Honda parts in stock. I'm hitting 10 years on my last timing belt change.. So I'm going to end up doing it next year ---

Thanks for the tip.

I was looking at SOS for timing belt kit but they didn't have one on the web.
However I was able to find one at thensxshop but they do run around 650 for the kit.

Not sure if radiator was part of the deal (probably not) I do think it's bit higher than it was before. Then again everything went up here in Colorado but didn't expect it to be so expensive.
I thought dropping GT3 engine was cheaper (usually 2k-3k)

Hello thread.
Thank you very much for your input. I have actually been to see Z at the old Pikes Peak Acura here in the Springs several times. He is actually now very familiar with my car. It has been giving him quite a few challenges to figure out. With it being a JDM import, the parts aren’t all interchangeable and he has done a great job working through challenges.........not cheap 😬

Hello thread.
Thank you very much for your input. I have actually been to see Z at the old Pikes Peak Acura here in the Springs several times. He is actually now very familiar with my car. It has been giving him quite a few challenges to figure out. With it being a JDM import, the parts aren’t all interchangeable and he has done a great job working through challenges.........not cheap 

+1 with Paul Z.. you pay dealer prices.. but anything major.. I would still recommend him without hesitation..
Basic stuff. I think any Honda /acura mechanic can handle it..

Paul Pharris at the east location of Honest Accurate Auto is also good at working on the NSX. He takes care of mine and one that belongs to a neighbor.

Thanks for that info. I haven’t heard of him before, but I will check him out. I have a check engine light under full throttle, that so far no one has come close to figuring out.

Could you let me know what you found out about Honest Accurate Auto and Paul Pharris? I am seeking a timing belt/H20 Pump, etc.

Could you let me know what you found out about Honest Accurate Auto and Paul Pharris? I am seeking a timing belt/H20 Pump, etc.

I can't speak to Paul Pharris but there are a few other options that guys are using these days...

Paul Z has left Pikes Peak Acura and they no longer have an NSX tech down there. Paul Z's apprentice is there still but he's not a certified NSX tech from what I've been told. Paul Z however is still doing odd jobs here and there out at Mestas Automotive.

Chris W. is still up at Fisher Honda although owner beware...while Chris does great work and knows the NSX well the service manager up there knows how rare a tech like Chris is these days so their labor rates are over $180/hr and they use the book number for hours even though Chris is much faster than the book. They wanted to charge me an extra 22 hours of labor to do my LMAs during a TB/WP service!!! Paul Z called SoS to ask Chris Wilson and was told if you're doing TB/WP it's an extra 8 hours. Your mileage may vary with Chris W./Fisher Honda but I know I will never go to them after what I feel was a price gouged quote. But they will let you bring your own parts so you could save a lot of money that way.

Mike Maroone Honda in Colorado Springs has an NSX tech on staff however they don't have all of the tools to do all of the jobs on an NSX (they can't do a dual disk clutch for instance). So it's worth calling and seeing if their tech is willing to take on the job before you go down there.

There is a tech named Jimmee at Auto Star that while not an NSX Master tech has done quite a bit of work on NSX's over the years.

There is Scott at MoFab that has worked on a few NSX's as well.

Shoot!! its a shame Paul Z - is not longer and Pikes Peak Acura.. He did my CTSC on my NSX and he knew what he was doing..

I"m needed to do a Timing Belt/ H2O pump.. and while at it I was going to do my LMA's .. shoot.

Let me know if anyone knows how to get in touch with Paul Z.. maybe he can do it.. :confused:

I never been to MO Fab in Parker.. I just visited their site.. Wow.. Any one used them for NSX service etc..

Option 2.. is send it to SOS.. I visited their shop in person about 10 years ago.. It was NSX heaven! They had a bunch of NSX's in the bays. I should of took a pic..
(shipping is a pain.. though.. anyone ship their car to them??)

On another note.. I'm up for a meet when things get back to normal.. (Damn Coronavirus..!) I hope all is well .. :biggrin:

Forgive me for not getting back to Prime and thanking you for you extensive answer, I've been into skatty-eight other things, difficult as that seems in the virus environment we are all living in.

I too am disappointed Paul Z is no longer at Pike's Peak as I was seriously considering that option.

I have contacted other members about Chris Weyland and got a negative vibe about Fisher in Boulder and no information about contacting Chris outside of Fisher. I wouldn't want to do that anyway and cause any angst to Chris. Fisher is a non-starter for me.

Sebastian, would you be interested in proposing a double job for Jimmee at Auto Star or Scott at MoFab after more vetting? I don't have any idea if they are slow on work and might jump at the inquiry or not, but what could there be to lose?

Again thanks NSX_00b and apologies for the late reply.

Back