• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long Board skateboard

So I really SUCK at skateboarding. Actually I can't even board. However, longboarding looks really fun. I want a purely unique and badass long board.

Help me pick a board. I just wanna have something easy for me to learn and cruise around on. But I'd like to start to carve downhills in the future. Board dancing.......... I don't see that in the near future maybe distance future. I like the thin narrow pintail shape board.

I know sector9 is very popular and I like the double knuckle design "Gullwing Sidewinder" used on some of their boards BUT when I checked it out in person at the local Zumiez, I saw a "Made in China" sticker on the board. I prefer made in america.

Original Skateboards is pretty neat. I like their longer 40+ inch boards and REALLY love the style of trucks that they use that have interchangeable springs. Made in America
http://www.originalskateboards.com/longboard_completes.shtml

Lastly, this is WAY cool. The Longboard Larry long board. I'm totally in love with the HUGE 60" Old Skool Dancer, especially in green. Just the trucks aren't as "cool" as the Original's or the Seismics. The Kahakai Cruiser is cool too.
http://www.longboardlarry.net/boards/index.php

What about carbon kevlar/glass vs. bamboo vs. full wood?

I have 4 longboards. Three Gravity Ed Economy models which are 57" long. The current model is 55" long. Gravity Ed Economy Something that long is much harder to turn than a board in the mid 40's but they are really fun to ride.

My short longboard is a G&S 47". I think that length is a good for a first time longboarder. Easier to ride/manuver and lighter in weight.

Here's another couple of shops with good selection. Daddies & The Longboard Store

Have fun!

Sector 9 longboards are the way to go. i've got mine and it's so comfortable to ride. i think it's the best one out there. :biggrin:

Sector9's are, how can I put it in a nice way, gay. Sector9's are great chick boards but most long boarders will be laughing under their breath at you. Plus everyone and their mom has a sector 9.

Carbon Kevlar like NSX-R seats are the way to go.

Heres my personal board that I ride everyday: I took some pictures of the weight and dimensions so you can see how big it is. Its sooooo fast. I'm willing to bet money that its the fastest longboard you can buy. It will out handle almost everyboard out there too. The giant super grippy 90mm Flywheels and Revenge trucks make a combination difficult to match. People literally stop and stare everyday when I'm riding it. It gets as much attention as the nsx.

rollsrollsmotionfinally.jpg

lightasafeather.jpg

ooohkevlar.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

kevlarwidth.jpg

I think they have discontinued it a year or two ago because it was too expensive and they had to import them from Germany. I'll ask the distributor/importer if you're interested in getting one.

Jordan,
Wow that thing is NUTS! I want to stick with a more traditional shape I think. Maybe down the road I'd want to try something more crazy. That shape reminds me of the professional downhill style long boards.

SoCalDude,
When you say much harder to turn, I'm assuming since you're experienced at longboarding, it would be MUCH MUCH harder for me as a newb to turn?

Jordan,
Wow that thing is NUTS! I want to stick with a more traditional shape I think. Maybe down the road I'd want to try something more crazy. That shape reminds me of the professional downhill style long boards.

SoCalDude,
When you say much harder to turn, I'm assuming since you're experienced at longboarding, it would be MUCH MUCH harder for me as a newb to turn?

Gravity boards are pretty sick I'd go with one of SoCalDudes suggestions.

But my board is extremely easy to ride. I've ridden so many long boards and its by far the easiest. This is largely due to the extremely low center of gravity the skateboard achieves (3 inches from the ground). Try a couple boards out and you'll quickly notice that the sector9's or the boards that curve upwards are really hard to ride because you're so high off the ground.

Its also very very responsive and turns on a dime. If you're going to be in vegas any time soon we can meet up and you'll see just how easy it is to ride. Or I can try and find someone in cali to help you out.

Either way, best of luck.

SoCalDude,

I don't ride much anymore but I have ridden for 30+ years, okay I started really young.:biggrin: The extra length does make a difference. With either length, it's really hard or impossible to turn the corner and the end of the block on a sidewalk. I usually do a kickturn to get around the corner. If you plan to ride on the streets, you will have a lot more room to maneuver. Where are you planning to ride and how tight do you think you will need to turn?

Last edited:
I think they have discontinued it a year or two ago because it was too expensive and they had to import them from Germany. I'll ask the distributor/importer if you're interested in getting one.

That thing is wild! Can you get a quote on one?

That thing is wild! Can you get a quote on one?

lol with the conversion rate its currently $637.24 shipped from germany. I paid around $300 for mine though. I sold my second board for $250 a couple months ago. I just sent an e-mail to the distributer here who is a good friend. So hopefully the price will be similar or lower to what I paid. I'll keep you posted.

Ok I think I understand now. I gotta think about having the long way down to push. I can see the benefit now. Thanks for all the help guys.

The carbon fiber one you have is way cool but I'm sure way out of budget on a splurge I may or may not like. I was hoping to stick around the $200 mark +/- $50.

Wow, $300 that's a killer deal.

Primarily, I was going to use it to cruise around campus in style. Roads around my area suck.

Last edited:
dood, get a shorty, about a 30 inches and have some big soft wheels and abec-1,000,000 bearings and you'll be flying across campus like crazy. they're a bit unstable but once you get the hang of it, they're highly maneuverable. good luck

The carbon fiber one you have is way cool but I'm sure way out of budget on a splurge I may or may not like. I was hoping to stick around the $200 mark +/- $50.

Wow, $300 that's a killer deal.

Primarily, I was going to use it to cruise around campus in style. Roads around my area suck.

The wood ply completes (with trucks and wheels) costs around $150-$200 new. You can pick up so nice stuff on eBay occasionally for under $100.

I think the Jordan's carbon fiber deck is $300 just for the deck? The Flywheels w/bearing and Revenge trucks alone are probably around $200.

Last edited:
The deck is very tempting though. I just like having unique things. Sorta like owning the nsx instead of a corvette you know.

I suck at the short boards. I'd bust my @ss. I like the longboard for the crusin' chillin' style that goes with it. Plain and simply, I can't skate with a regular board.

Jordan, let us know if you get a price. I'll be buying something in a week if I buy anything at all.

As for the price, yea there are lots of nice stuff under $200 but they all blend in with the rest. I want one that stands out in a good way and spending a little extra is worth it to me.

I think the Jordan's carbon fiber deck is $300 just for the deck? The Flywheels w/bearing and Revenge trucks alone are probably around $200.

I crashed on my first board (now sold) and insurance paid for another one (my current one). It was $350 for everything. Killer price.

The deck is very tempting though. I just like having unique things. Sorta like owning the nsx instead of a corvette you know.

I suck at the short boards. I'd bust my @ss. I like the longboard for the crusin' chillin' style that goes with it. Plain and simply, I can't skate with a regular board.

Jordan, let us know if you get a price. I'll be buying something in a week if I buy anything at all.

As for the price, yea there are lots of nice stuff under $200 but they all blend in with the rest. I want one that stands out in a good way and spending a little extra is worth it to me.

I just got an e-mail back from my friend and he said he the board is practically impossible to get now (without paying the rediculous $600+ german pricetag). And the only one he knows of is on sale in the UK on ebay. Here.
e156_1.JPG

The board is in really rough condition. And I've never bid on an UK item. But if you really gotta have it, thats the only place you can get it. The trucks/wheel setup that it comes with is pretty good. Not as responsive as the revenge trucks and the giant wheels will roll over the worst terrain you can throw at it. The only downside is you can't really do huge and hard carves b/c it looses grip. Thats where the flywheels come in (the green wheels in my picture). Its superglue for your longboard.

But that setup would be perfect for just cruising. As for the rough condition, you can always repaint it... My current board is painted the really dark blue that comes on the BMW M3.

He said he has an alternative:
g2top2.jpg

Its a 43" drop deck made with T700 carbon fiber. He said he'll get me a quote on a complete board. It should be close to $200 (+/- $50). And I can guarantee you'll be the only one riding it unless you run into him... haha

But here an excellent resource that reviews almost every longboard out there.

Hope this helps.

I crashed on my first board (now sold) and insurance paid for another one (my current one).

You had insurance on a skateboard?:eek: Shweeet!

So how are those drop style boards at carving? Is the lowered board going to interfere with carving like by scraping the ground? Also I'm starting to like the Landyachtz DH race, hows gonna be doing at pushing/cruising around town and with some carving? No hills to bomb around my area.

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/landyachtz-dh-race-complete.aspx

I think I want to get two boards now. Yeah I know, brave for someone who can't skate and only thinks it's "cool" and hopes I'll learn to be decent at it. Any, the gravity ed economy 55 will prob be #2.

So how are those drop style boards at carving? Is the lowered board going to interfere with carving like by scraping the ground? Also I'm starting to like the Landyachtz DH race, hows gonna be doing at pushing/cruising around town and with some carving? No hills to bomb around my area.

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/landyachtz-dh-race-complete.aspx

I think I want to get two boards now. Yeah I know, brave for someone who can't skate and only thinks it's "cool" and hopes I'll learn to be decent at it. Any, the gravity ed economy 55 will prob be #2.

My carbonkevlar board is the largest drop of any production skateboard. I measured it today and its about 2 inches from the ground. And I can do HUUGE fat carves with no problem so you should be okay. It looks pretty awesome from the side b/c you swear it would scrape but it doesn't. And the lower center of gravity will help you out alot.

The Landyachtz board looks pretty sweet. I've never ridden one so I can't provide any input.

I can still get you the G2 blackbird my friend helped design/make. Top of the line revenge trucks, sticky wheels and a foam core board wrapped in carbon fiber. The weight of the board its self is a little under 3lbs. And the price will be <$300 shipped. The only downside is they couldn't get the finish to be that glassy like carbon fiber b/c it nearly doubles the production cost.

Or if you're really gonna blow a lot of money get the Venturi Black Feather::biggrin:

PHOTO%203%204%20Front.jpg

Oh that's realy cool! I just NOW figured out what the design above "G2" on that board is, the sillouhette of a SR-71! The pictures don't do the board justice I'm sure. Doesn't look too hot from the picture posted up. Can he do the clear rough spray for the friction material instead of grip tape? How long would it take?

That venturi just LOOKS expensive. I think landyachtz makes a full carbon lowered board and that alone is almost $1k

BTW, what wheels are on your carbon/kevlar?

Last edited:
Ok so I ended up buying one yesterday. Should be here this week hopefully.

What I found was a killer deal on a brand new Landyachtz Evo. Parts aren't exactly what i wanted but it'll do just fine for a while, R-II 180, 85mm Hawgs and not sure on the bearings but it should be fine. I was hoping for Revenge Trucks and Gumballs, but for $150 shipped I couldn't back down.

http://www.landyachtz.com/D25.cfm?PID=294&place=1

Ok so I ended up buying one yesterday. Should be here this week hopefully.

What I found was a killer deal on a brand new Landyachtz Evo. Parts aren't exactly what i wanted but it'll do just fine for a while, R-II 180, 85mm Hawgs and not sure on the bearings but it should be fine. I was hoping for Revenge Trucks and Gumballs, but for $150 shipped I couldn't back down.

http://www.landyachtz.com/D25.cfm?PID=294&place=1

Did you get it yet? How does it ride?

Looks sweet! Do your self a favor and buy some Bones Reds. I've tried sooo many different bearings super expensive to cheap budget ones and I always come back to the Reds.

Also get some Fly Wheels. I'm not sure which ones will fit your board but it'll go perfectly with the green thats on your board. They are by far my favorite wheels and they are uber sticky and give you a lot more confidence when riding. Have fun and let us know how you like it.

Bones Reds:
bones-bearings-reds.jpg

Fly Wheels:
Abec11-flywheels-90mm.jpg

Did you get it yet? How does it ride?

Oh I'm LOVIN IT. Seriously I've been having more fun with it than the nsx. The low deck height makes it sooooo easy to push. All I really needed to do was slightly bend my knee to push. The other boards required me to actually step down. This board you cant touch the groud with your toes but still not scrap the ground when cranked over alot. It can also fit any size wheels.

The downside is..... it's a bit heavy.Very stiff but built that way for it's intended purpose, downhill and freeride. It also doesn't steer very sharply because of how the nose and tail aren't flat but rather at an angle. It steers from the front. I'd like to make it turn tighter. But this board definitely turns heads everywhere from non skaters and skaters alike. I've also met several women with this beast. More so far than I have with the nsx but no where near the numbers with the scooter.

All in all, I'm loving it and definitely gonna keep it. Can't beat that low deck height.

Looks sweet! Do your self a favor and buy some Bones Reds. I've tried sooo many different bearings super expensive to cheap budget ones and I always come back to the Reds.

Also get some Fly Wheels. I'm not sure which ones will fit your board but it'll go perfectly with the green thats on your board. They are by far my favorite wheels and they are uber sticky and give you a lot more confidence when riding. Have fun and let us know how you like it.

Bones Reds:
bones-bearings-reds.jpg

Fly Wheels:
Abec11-flywheels-90mm.jpg

I was actually thinking of these bearings:
http://www.biltin.com/

Because I like the built in spacers and washers. What do you think? They definitely get some HIGH ratings from what I've read. Bones are also VERY good for the price too it seems.

As for wheels, I'm ok with the Hawgs for now. Plus the BIGGEST wheels tend to cost a fortune and this board can fit even the biggest wheels. Bearings are cheap in comparison to big wheels. I would love a set of those Abec11's though.

Last edited:
well it seems that the Biltins will not work with my 85mm Hawgs.
http://www.landyachtz.com/D28.cfm?PID=63

So it looks like I'll be ordering a set of bones reds w/ spacers. I really wanted a set of biltins, they just sound soooo nice. Guess I'll order a set when I order some flywheels :) Someday :frown:

I'm still loving it :biggrin:

This weekend, think I'm gonna hit up the empty locked down (from cars/motorcycles) parking garage for some practice with slopes :)

Last edited:
Call me old fashion but my favorite board is this this one.
DSC_0032_sm.jpg

Back