• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long search ended with 1991 NSX

Hi everyone. My first post here. I've read so much valuable information in this forum already. I'm glad to join the community. It’s been about a month or so since I bought my dream car. I wanted a white popup headlight NSX ever since I saw one in the dealer showroom when I was in college. I had to settle for a red one but I'm happy with what I got. With some research, I found that my car was sold twice on Prime.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ed-Black-5-Speed-70-100-mil-JH4NA1154MT001657
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/142018-1991-Red-Black-59K-miles-JH4NA1154MT001657

In addition to maintenance preform by the previous prime members, prior owner has also gone through all the major items again. It has been well taken care of and has performed well with no issue so far. Few weeks ago, I drove the car from Portland to Sonoma for a track day and came back via 101 highway with no issue. The car did well on the track and on the open roads. I put about 2000 miles since I own it already. What a great car!

Sam

NSX1.JPGNSX4.JPGNSX3.JPGNSX2.JPG

amazing that you can do that with a 30 yo car:wink:..welcome and enjoy all the collective knowledge on prime...searchable for your pleasure..

amazing that you can do that with a 30 yo car:wink:..welcome and enjoy all the collective knowledge on prime...searchable for your pleasure..

Yes, amazing. My first car was a 1988 Honda Prelude Si AWS. Bought it new. I also had a 1990 Acura Legend. So I know about Honda engineering in the 90's. :smile:

Welcome to Prime, Sam. You definitely did it right- a solid 91 with no stories and LarryB maintained. You're set up for long term success and enjoyment- considering its history I'm not surprised it did well at the track. If your last major service was in 2010, you're coming up on the time for the next one based on time. Any idea how many miles since that last service?

Car looks great.

Welcome to Prime, Sam. You definitely did it right- a solid 91 with no stories and LarryB maintained. You're set up for long term success and enjoyment- considering its history I'm not surprised it did well at the track. If your last major service was in 2010, you're coming up on the time for the next one based on time. Any idea how many miles since that last service?

Car looks great.

Thanks. I read so much of your posts :smile:. Previous owner got these done in Sept 2019. The spool valve gasket is leaking a little on one side and I need to replace the seal again. The non-working AC was due to the fan controller board issue and I have fixed that with the help of the forum posts. I had cold AC all the way to Sonoma and back. Let me know what you think about the items already done.
NSX5.JPGNSX6.JPG

The center console was a mess when I got it. Someone try to put double din head unit and failed at it. :mad: I wanted to have nice sounding stereo system for the long drive so I got it sorted before I left. Fixed the broken trim, paint, and total rewire. Added a garage door opener and stereo remote at the coin tray.

NSX7.JPG

Congrats! I can’t wait to get my car on a track one day. Beautiful car and looks well maintained. I’m new to NSXs…my car has low miles but it sat forever undriven. Great car for long scenic drives, aren’t they? I’m sure your road trip was a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! That's one of the most glorious tracks we have in CA. There's usually a pretty bad crash (or two or three) each track I go to there. Glad your came away still shiny! Amazing track for that car.

There was a crash when I was there also. :frown: I didn't push the car too hard since it was first time being there. I also tracked few laps at Portland International Raceway befor that and it did well. Pretty stable going 120mph on the straights. Braking wasn't too good so I might have to change the pads to something different.

Congrats! I can’t wait to get my car on a track one day. Beautiful car and looks well maintained. I’m new to NSXs…my car has low miles but it sat forever undriven. Great car for long scenic drives, aren’t they? I’m sure your road trip was a blast.

Thanks. Road trips are even better with friends.
NSX8.JPG

There was a crash when I was there also. :frown: I didn't push the car too hard since it was first time being there. I also tracked few laps at Portland International Raceway befor that and it did well. Pretty stable going 120mph on the straights. Braking wasn't too good so I might have to change the pads to something different.
bah.. sorry to hear about that crash. at least it wasn't yours. its not surprising to hear unfortunately. If your car still has the original NA1 brakes, yes.. they are meant for 15/16 inch and not so sticky tires. A popular upgrade starts with cooling ducts and more track oriented pads. Most people are happy with the slightly larger NA2 setup. You can find parts at Racing Brake. A Stoptech or similar would be the ultimate if you're game for that. Sorry if you know all of this! Just trying to be of some assistance!

bah.. sorry to hear about that crash. at least it wasn't yours. its not surprising to hear unfortunately. If your car still has the original NA1 brakes, yes.. they are meant for 15/16 inch and not so sticky tires. A popular upgrade starts with cooling ducts and more track oriented pads. Most people are happy with the slightly larger NA2 setup. You can find parts at Racing Brake. A Stoptech or similar would be the ultimate if you're game for that. Sorry if you know all of this! Just trying to be of some assistance!

Previous owner installed Hawk HPS and slotted Stoptech Aero two-piece rotors in the front and regular Stoptech slotted in the rear. Brake doesn’t have bite to it during initial braking and I don’t know if it’s normal or I need to re-bed them. I didn’t know about the NA2 setup. I’ll look into it.

Previous owner installed Hawk HPS and slotted Stoptech Aero two-piece rotors in the front and regular Stoptech slotted in the rear. Brake doesn’t have bite to it during initial braking and I don’t know if it’s normal or I need to re-bed them. I didn’t know about the NA2 setup. I’ll look into it.

Hawk HPS are terrible IMHO. I hated them on the street and they turned into charcoal briquettes at the track. A lot of people like the HP+ however. My go-to legit street/track pad is the Project Mu HC800 (HC+ in Japan), but they do not seem to be available anymore (Covid supply issues maybe?), so I'm trying out the Carbotech AX6, which is local and readily available. SoS and others have endorsed it as a legit dual-purpose pad. It apparently dusts a lot, but the dust is easy to clean. I'll let you know how it goes.

I agree with Regan that the 91-96 brakes are meant for the smaller OEM wheels (15/16 and 16/17) and tires with roughly a "Ultra-High Performance" level of grip using Tire Rack's classification terms. However, with good pads, fluid and some ducting, they do just fine at circuit speed. I ran Carbotech XP8 as my track pads and, even on the 91 brakes, they were way too much for my tire compound (Yoko S.Drives). I could lock the wheels up with just mild brake pressure once the pads were hot. If Carbotech made a "XP6" they would be perfect street/track pads for a NSX, but alas, we're stuck with the AX6 as the next step down from the 8's.

Thus, before you invest in larger brake hardware, I'd take a look at upgrading your pads and fluid (I like ATE Typ 200) and getting some airflow to the front rotors first. About 15 years ago, there was a great thread about how to hack up some cheap Porsche 993 brake deflectors to fit the NSX control arms. Apparently it worked perfectly and was like 60 bucks. Maybe someone here will remember better than me!

I ran brake cooling hose to dali brake deflectors for fronts.takes some finessing and zipties.

Hawk HPS are terrible IMHO. I hated them on the street and they turned into charcoal briquettes at the track. A lot of people like the HP+ however. My go-to legit street/track pad is the Project Mu HC800 (HC+ in Japan), but they do not seem to be available anymore (Covid supply issues maybe?), so I'm trying out the Carbotech AX6, which is local and readily available. SoS and others have endorsed it as a legit dual-purpose pad. It apparently dusts a lot, but the dust is easy to clean. I'll let you know how it goes.

I agree with Regan that the 91-96 brakes are meant for the smaller OEM wheels (15/16 and 16/17) and tires with roughly a "Ultra-High Performance" level of grip using Tire Rack's classification terms. However, with good pads, fluid and some ducting, they do just fine at circuit speed. I ran Carbotech XP8 as my track pads and, even on the 91 brakes, they were way too much for my tire compound (Yoko S.Drives). I could lock the wheels up with just mild brake pressure once the pads were hot. If Carbotech made a "XP6" they would be perfect street/track pads for a NSX, but alas, we're stuck with the AX6 as the next step down from the 8's.

Thus, before you invest in larger brake hardware, I'd take a look at upgrading your pads and fluid (I like ATE Typ 200) and getting some airflow to the front rotors first. About 15 years ago, there was a great thread about how to hack up some cheap Porsche 993 brake deflectors to fit the NSX control arms. Apparently it worked perfectly and was like 60 bucks. Maybe someone here will remember better than me!

Let us know how AX6 works out. The description on the website says for Autocross and not for street us. Don't we all drive like we are on a autocross everyday? :smile:
I did read about Porsche brake cooling duct mod. Lot of my friends have air cooled Porsches, so I'll take a look at theirs when I get a chance. I don't think Porsche 993 parts are cheap any more. NSX has gone up in value recently, but Porsche is on an another level. I have a 1988 911, so I know.

Still 30 bucks each. :D
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99334108300.htm?pn=993-341-083-00-OEM&fs=0

I'm getting a set too! As for the AX6, you're right- CT intended it for autox, so it heats up fast and is very grabby even when cold. I remember talking to Chris from SoS at an NSX event back East many years ago and he said they found that the compound would also hold up quite well on the track at "intermediate" speeds. I drive my cars at 7/10 on the circuit (since I'm not willing to lose the car), so it seems perfect. We'll see. What I loved about the HC+/HC800 on both the NSX and the GT-R was that while they were a little squeaky, they did not dust that badly on the street.

Let us know how AX6 works out. The description on the website says for Autocross and not for street us. Don't we all drive like we are on a autocross everyday? :smile:
I did read about Porsche brake cooling duct mod. Lot of my friends have air cooled Porsches, so I'll take a look at theirs when I get a chance. I don't think Porsche 993 parts are cheap any more. NSX has gone up in value recently, but Porsche is on an another level. I have a 1988 911, so I know.

Congratulations and great looking NSX.

Did you make it down to NSXPO in early August?

Here is a link to some of my thoughts that I have managed to cobble together over the years...lots of links to shops and vendors...

Which shop did the maintenance on the invoice you posted?

Based on the work you already did to "tidy up" the center console/audio, it appears you know which end of screwdriver is which...and are willing to tackle "projects". Don't hesitate to ask if you run into trouble or something that doesn't seem "quite right"...one of the best things about the NSX community is the tight knit nature of the community and how it will "rally" to a problem to help others keep these great cars going for decades to come!!!

Congratulations and welcome!!!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

Here is a link to some of my thoughts that I have managed to cobble together over the years...lots of links to shops and vendors...

Based on the work you already did to "tidy up" the center console/audio, it appears you know which end of screwdriver is which...and are willing to tackle "projects". Don't hesitate to ask if you run into trouble or something that doesn't seem "quite right"...one of the best things about the NSX community is the tight knit nature of the community and how it will "rally" to a problem to help others keep these great cars going for decades to come!!!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

Thank you. Your post was the first thing I read when I started exploring the forum. Very informative with great historical knowledge.
I missed the NSXPO. I wish I bought the car little earlier so I could've participated. Thinking about driving to Arizona next year.
Yes, I'm pretty handy with cars. I daily an E55 AMG and also have a E36 M3, E90 M3, and a 911 so I'm always working on something. It helps that I have a lift in the garage. I do my research on Prime before I tackle any project on the NSX. So much good information. I'm currently wiring a aftermarket alarm and push start button. I have the factory keyless entry but little disappointed in visual and audio acknowledgment.

Forgot to answer about the shop that did the maintenance. The shop was on your list. Agile Concepts did the work.

Congrat. It's incredible it still looks great after almost 30 years...

Hi everyone. My first post here. I've read so much valuable information in this forum already. I'm glad to join the community. It’s been about a month or so since I bought my dream car. I wanted a white popup headlight NSX ever since I saw one in the dealer showroom when I was in college. I had to settle for a red one but I'm happy with what I got. With some research, I found that my car was sold twice on Prime.

Back