• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a NSX-like experience, what else is out there?

I've currently own my NSX and an S2000. In the past, I've owned other S2000s and E46M3s. I also nearly bought a friends 95 F355 Berlinetta 6spd.

Here are my $.02 if, like me, the joy is from actually driving them.

NSX - I've owned it 20 years, so you can guess my feelings. Weak points (IMO) of the early coupes are the tall gearing of the USDM 5 speed. 6 speed or JDM 5 speed is a nice improvement. I'm not a fan of the cowl shake of the NSX-Ts, but I'm a fairly aggressive canyon carver. Shines with a few key mods, and still very comfy capable road car. Not an auto cross car, but great on track. Brakes are fine for the road, but I nearly cooked them at Mid Ohio. Very reliable and road trip able. My record is 1300 miles in one sitting.

S2000 - Both of mine are/were 05s. I bought one years ago for the bargain price of $15k. It was incredible for cheap thrills. Great for putting around in nice weather. Great canyon carver. More low speed nimbleness than the NSX. I've felt no need to mod either of mine. Not much torque, which I don't mind. Really buzzy at freeway speeds, which stops me from road tripping it. Easy to work on. Even replaced the top on mine without much drama. Sold it and bought a mint 05 with 25k for over double that recently. Probably NOT worth what I paid for it. I still think the nice higher milage driver quality cars are a bargain if long freeway trips are not in the math.

E46M3 - Love the car, except for when I hated it. Which was about 50/50. My last one was a mint 06 purchased with 40k. It mirrored exactly the experience I had with an in warranty years earlier. Window regulators are disposable. Weather stripping peels for no reason. Starters fail. Plastic coolant hoses leak. It ALWAYS needs something. But is fantastic when it is right. Around town, freeway, canyons or on track - it was just fabulous. But you'll never quite trust it. Fun weekend car and you don't mind constant $300 projects? Maybe. Trust it to drive cross country? Eh. High milage or SMG? Forget it. And don't forget about VANOs or subframes. Which will pop up by 100k IMO.

F355 - I almost convinced myself it was worth it. I can live with the belt services and the snotty owners (around here anyways) for that look and that sound. But start researching valve guides, cracked manifolds, exhaust valves, sticky buttons, etc. And even if you get past all that, don't dare go out and try and put 100k on it. It didn't drive any better than my modded NSX, and the smiles per dollar ratio convinced me to walk away no matter how good the noise and look is. I don't do garage ornaments.

Boxster S - definitely on my radar. Don't (to the best of my knowledge) come with LSD. I have not driven one of the 981 generation, which is the car I'm most likely to swap the S2000 for, at this point anyways.

Elise / Exige - I think I love the idea of it more than I would actually owning it. Spectacular in small doses. S2000 was my practical compromise - or perhaps watered down alternative - to this. Its been 10+ years since I've been in one, so my memory may be failing me.

Last edited:
Great input. I agree on the e46 m3 with [MENTION=7537]MJK[/MENTION] there’s always something tedious going on but it’s a amazing car with 333hp

Boxster S - definitely on my radar. Don't (to the best of my knowledge) come with LSD. I have not driven one of the 981 generation, which is the car I'm most likely to swap the S2000 for, at this point anyways.

FYI: Mechanical LSD's have been optional ever since the 987.2 generation, you will need to do a VIN check to determine if a car has a LSD from the factory, the only exception been the Boxster Spyder models which had the Mechanical LSD from the factory as standard equipment (987.2/981.1/718).

It is possible to replace the open differential with a Clutch type LSD or a Torsen (torque based differential/TBD) type LSD on the 6 speed manual transmission cars if you find one that does not have one from the factory.

I did so on 2 of my previous Porsche cars, replaced the open differential with a TBD on a 2008 987.1 Cayman S Sport (no LSD from the factory for that generation), and also replaced the standard clutch type LSD with a track spec LSD (better suited for R-comp tires) on a 2012 987.2 Cayman R.

FYI: Mechanical LSD's have been optional ever since the 987.2 generation, you will need to do a VIN check to determine if a car has a LSD from the factory, the only exception been the Boxster Spyder models which had the Mechanical LSD from the factory as standard equipment (987.2/981.1/718).

It is possible to replace the open differential with a Clutch type LSD or a Torsen (torque based differential/TBD) type LSD on the 6 speed manual transmission cars if you find one that does not have one from the factory.

I did so on 2 of my previous Porsche cars, replaced the open differential with a TBD on a 2008 987.1 Cayman S Sport (no LSD from the factory for that generation), and also replaced the standard clutch type LSD with a track spec LSD (better suited for R-comp tires) on a 2012 987.2 Cayman R.

That is excellent news! I knew about the Spyder, but had no idea it was an option on a S trim. Are the factory optioned S LSDs clutch type or Torsen?

What did you go with on the 987? (Quaife, wavetrac,?) and did you install it yourself?

That is excellent news! I knew about the Spyder, but had no idea it was an option on a S trim. Are the factory optioned S LSDs clutch type or Torsen?

What did you go with on the 987? (Quaife, wavetrac,?) and did you install it yourself?

The OEM LSD's on the 987.2/981/718 are clutch type.

The LSD's were installed by Jerry Woods Motorsports (Porsche race shop in the Bay Area), since swapping LSD's sometimes require re-shimming.

Had the shop install a Quaife TBD on the 987.1 2008 Cayman S Sport, made a substantial difference on the car, made the car rotate much better than stock. I also owned a 987.1 2006 Boxster S at the same time, so swapping between the two cars you could really tell the difference on how the TBD affected the handling of the car.

Had the shop install a Guards Race/Track LSD on the 2012 Cayman R to replace the OEM LSD. (much more aggressive ramps on the Guard LSD vs stock)

For a street car a TBD would probably make the most sense, since there is no need to trail brake while driving on the streets.

The OEM LSD's on the 987.2/981/718 are clutch type.

The LSD's were installed by Jerry Woods Motorsports (Porsche race shop in the Bay Area), since swapping LSD's sometimes require re-shimming.

Had the shop install a Quaife TBD on the 987.1 2008 Cayman S Sport, made a substantial difference on the car, made the car rotate much better than stock. I also owned a 987.1 2006 Boxster S at the same time, so swapping between the two cars you could really tell the difference on how the TBD affected the handling of the car.

Had the shop install a Guards Race/Track LSD on the 2012 Cayman R to replace the OEM LSD. (much more aggressive ramps on the Guard LSD vs stock)

For a street car a TBD would probably make the most sense, since there is no need to trail brake while driving on the streets.

Thanks for all the great info! Won't clog up this thread any further, but 987.2 or 981 S with a 6MT sounds like an excellent potential S2000 alternative, particularly given the range of LSDs available. I had no idea.

This may read strange but I thought the newer Ford GT was remarkably similar to the NSX's feel but with a lot more power. Very similar driving dynamics. Turn in, rear grip, mid-corner stability, brake feel - it all felt very familiar. Caveat: I didn't drive it in the track configuration and I didn't come near to it's performance edge.

Also, a well-sorted Spec Racer Ford Gen 3 feels very familiar too.

I went through so many different cars over the years, and unfortunately, no other car has a "NSX-like" experience other than an NSX.

Depending on how you describe the experience, of the ones I owned previously:

* Cayman S (both generations) - yes, it has a mid-engine layout, rev's linear, has an excellent soundtrack... BUT... it doesn't have the panoramic view out the windshield, you don't feel like you are sitting on a sleigh, the interior dashboard line is high, etc...

* S2000 - it has a long hood, the steering ratio is much quicker than the NSX (actually more fun to drive than the NSX in low-speed fast turn roads)... I feel like it's a completely different car from the NSX, and a completely different driving experience.

* Alfa 4C - also mid-engine, but doesn't rev as high or as linear as the NSX. It has a manual steering rack... Very different experience from the NSX...

* Gen1 Audi R8 V8 6 speed gated manual - I actually think it's the closest one to the NSX of all the cars I have driven. But it's out of the price range you mentioned.

Back