• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for NSX in MN, need advice!!

I live in Minnesota and am looking for my first NSX. I am planning to buy next spring 2002. I have three main questions.

First, does anybody think it is worth waiting for the new model coming out in 2003 since it may be less expensive than some of the late used models out there? I love the current model and am leaning towards that.

Second, what year, mileage should I be looking at if I can spend around $65,000?

Third, is it best to look for a car down south where there are more options or is it feasible to find a car in Minnesota?

I think this is a great site. This is my first posting and would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Gopher

I live in Minnesota and am looking for my first NSX. I am planning to buy next spring 2002.

Too bad, since NSXPO 2001 will be so close to home this fall. Oh well, I guess you'll just miss the chance to join up with over 100 NSX's in one place, just a few hours from home.

Are you SURE you don't want to buy one sooner?
biggrin.gif

First, does anybody think it is worth waiting for the new model coming out in 2003 since it may be less expensive than some of the late used models out there?

No. There have been so many rumors regarding the new NSX - a facelift vs a completely new car, more expensive vs less expensive, 2003 vs later - that I don't think ANY of them are reliable. If you'd like to own an NSX, buy it when you're ready. Also keep in mind that the early model years are not likely to depreciate much at all, so if you'd like to get one now, you can always trade up later.

Second, what year, mileage should I be looking at if I can spend around $65,000?

For that price, you should be able to get a nice '97-98 NSX-T. This model has a number of advantages that were introduced in '97, including the more-powerful 3.2-liter motor, the close-ratio six-speed transmission, and more structural rigidity than the earlier NSX-T.

Third, is it best to look for a car down south where there are more options or is it feasible to find a car in Minnesota?

It is best to do a nationwide search using the Internet. (See the FAQ sections on "Buy/Sell/etc" for resources and places to look.)

If you limit yourself to a small (NSX-wise) area, there will be a very small number of cars available. If you want to find ANY NSX in Minnesota, you probably will. If you want a certain year, and you don't want a certain color, and you don't want to overpay by several thousand dollars, then it will be more difficult and will require a bit of luck (or waiting, possibly a long time, for the "right" car to come along that meets your needs).

However, the NSX community has lots of knowledgeable owners all over the country, connected through various means (these forums as well as the NSX Club of America and the club's e-mail lists). Almost anywhere there are many NSX's, there is someone who will be more than happy to check out a car for you so that you can find out whether it's being described accurately in the ads. This can save you an airplane ticket (or, worse, a bad purchase).

In fact, I'm checking out the second car in two weeks in my area for someone on the East Coast.

I think this is a great site. This is my first posting and would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Welcome. Hope you find the car you're looking for, and can come join us at our activities. Including NSXPO 2001.

NSXTACY has some excellent advice. I waited and looked at cars that were ok for over a year before I found the one that was perfect, and I purchased it on the spot. The best advice you can get is don't rush it. Look all over. I traveled almost 600 miles before finding one worth buying.

IT took me a few days searching the web to find a wonderful '91 that had 11k miles on it in California. Closed the deal over the phone after having a friend check the car and had it trucked to NY for $900. I'm surprised it takes such a long time for some to find a car, there seem to be so many in all price ranges (from 30k and up). I had crashed my first car last year and replaced it within weeks. Go get your new car now. Good luck.

Back