• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking to get a nsx but have ???'s plz help

I currently have a moded 300ZX, but I am looking at getting a nsx. Now the only model years that I can afford to by are 91-93. I have looked at the model differences and I like the 93 model becuase of the r134a freon. So, for my 1st question. Can you change the older models over from the r12 to the r134a? and if so how much? Then I was looking it to mods for this car but I was not to successful. Can you buy like: chips, exhuasts, intakes, turbos, etc.? Then I looked in a classified and saw "Car IS in snap ring failure range, however HAS been repaired.(have records." Which kind of worried me. What are snap rings? is this a common problem? How much does it cost to fix? Then I began to wonder what other problems does the car have???? Do the have an over heating problem with the enginge in the rear??? Or anyother problems I should look for when I go to look at buying one? Like I said I am new to the nsx thing so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to any replies. I am also aware that if you have to ask then you can't afford it. It's not that I can't afford it (I know I can only afford a 91-93) its just that I want to know what I am getting into before I do.

Thanks
Lost in acura land

Hey man I bought my NSX brand new in 91. I haven't had any problems with mine. But I only have 9500 miles on it. A friend of mine has a 94 which he drives everyday and all over the country and he says the only problem he has is with the tires. They wear out quickly because the factory ones had low tread wear. Some also think the rear camber makes them wear quickly. I think its because he drives the hell out of his car. As far as mods? You can check out www.comptechusa.com or www.dcsports.com. Comptech has everything from superchargers to carbon fiber dash kits. But they are really expensive in my opinion.

That ring gear your talking about I think is the one that runs the oil pump I thought? Maybe some of the other guys know more about that. I heard it only breaks during LOTS of high RPM runs. I know Comptech has a replacement, but I don't know how much it would cost because again mine hasn't broke.

I baby my NSX so I haven't had any problems. But the other NSXs I've seen some of the problems I found were all cosmetic. Like torn leather seats, clear coat peeling, torn window seals by the door handles. I never got to see under the cars but from what I hear they run just fine. So good luck and I hope that helps a little bit.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 20 April 2000).]

Originally posted by FiZZioN:
I currently have a moded 300ZX, but I am looking at getting a nsx. Now the only model years that I can afford to by are 91-93. I have looked at the model differences and I like the 93 model becuase of the r134a freon. So, for my 1st question. Can you change the older models over from the r12 to the r134a? and if so how much? Then I was looking it to mods for this car but I was not to successful. Can you buy like: chips, exhuasts, intakes, turbos, etc.? Then I looked in a classified and saw "Car IS in snap ring failure range, however HAS been repaired.(have records." Which kind of worried me. What are snap rings? is this a common problem? How much does it cost to fix? Then I began to wonder what other problems does the car have???? Do the have an over heating problem with the enginge in the rear??? Or anyother problems I should look for when I go to look at buying one? Like I said I am new to the nsx thing so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to any replies. I am also aware that if you have to ask then you can't afford it. It's not that I can't afford it (I know I can only afford a 91-93) its just that I want to know what I am getting into before I do.

Thanks
Lost in acura land

Just look in the FAQ section of the NSX Prime web site for all your questions: a snap ring is in the transmission. see http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

I just "upgraded" from a 90 300ZX twin turbo to a 91 NSX. I am very happy with the NSX and the feel of the NSX is similar to the 300ZX. The Snap Ring problem affects just some of the transmissions on the easrly years. Check out the FAQ->troubleshooting section on this site for information about this problem. Other than that you get Honda reliability. Good Luck.

Compared to other cars (Porche, Corvette,etc) the 300ZX and NSX do feel similar (high revs, neutral predictable handling). The NSX is a much better car though for many reasons. I put 50K very hard miles on the 300ZX but then it started eating my wallet in repair bills (turbos = long term problems). I must admit I am still getting used to the NSX and I have not pushed to the limit like I pushed the 300ZX every day. Time will tell, but for now I am very happy with my purchase and only wish I had done it sooner.

FiZZioN,

I bought my NSX two months ago and I love it. I still own my 300ZX and there is no comparison between the two. The 300ZX is a great car but the NSX experience is unbelievable. Now everytime I'm driving my Z, I wish I was in my NSX!

If you own a 300ZX, you're already familar with paying more for maintenance and repairs. I just had my variable timing gears changed on the Z and that cost $1400. So just be prepared if anything happens. From what I've read, the NSX is extremely reliable compared to other cars, not just compared to sports cars. You probably will be spending a lot of money for tires. I just bought two Bridgestone RE010s for the rear and that cost about $450.

If you buy one, you won't regret it. Good Luck.

I owned a '90 300 ZX for 10 years and I put 172 thousand miles on it. I can tell you this: It wasn't as fast as the NSX, it was extremely reliable, just warped rotors which they fixed under warranty, and a couple of minor items (shock, and timing something) which they also fixed under warranty. My Z was almost as much fun as my new '99 NSX-T. I like the removable top better on my NSX, the T-tops were not as nice. I liked the steering feel better on my Z, it wasn't as heavy at low speeds and not at all pushy with heavy understeer around slow corners like the NSX is. Cornering limits are much better on my NSX. Buy an NSX, you will most certainly not regret it! I disagree with the other post, the NSX will cost you much more to maintain that your Z ever will.

Originally posted by FiZZioN:
Can you change the older models over from the r12 to the r134a? and if so how much?

Yes. It's about $250 with labor.

Then I was looking it to mods for this car but I was not to successful. Can you buy like: chips, exhuasts, intakes, turbos, etc.?

Yes. Comptech, Dali Racing, DC Sports, RM Racing, etc. etc. Look in the FAQ under Reference / Company Directory and also under Performance.

What are snap rings? is this a common problem? How much does it cost to fix?

See http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Do the have an over heating problem with the enginge in the rear???

No.

Or anyother problems I should look for when I go to look at buying one?

Take a look at:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/purchaseprocess.htm
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/UsedCheckList.htm

Hey FiZZion, I was in a similar boat (deciding on trading the 300ZX in for an NSX). But since I'm building a house now, the NSX will have to wait.
frown.gif

Anyway, things you might want to consider:

1) Cost of fender-bender repairs. The NSX has a lot of aluminum pieces and from what I understand, aluminum is not very maleable and difficult to repair.
2) Maintenance costs. I would think the NSX would cost more to maintain (i.e. comparing a clutch job on the NSX and 300ZX, etc.)
3) Insurance (depending on your age).
4) What exactly are you looking for in a sports car?

Also... how can you compare the NSX to a 300ZX? Easy... CnD, R&T, Motor Trend, and IMSA.
smile.gif

------------------
- - - - -
Michael(Dallas)
1994 300ZX Twin Turbo
JWT intake & ECU
B&B Tri-Flo testpipes & exhaust
350rwhp/390rwtq @ ~13.5psi

Back