• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

loose object in the dash

I have a loose object inside the dash. Everytime I take a hard turn, I can hear it sliding from one side to another. It may be just a loose screw.

If I remove the glove compartment, will I be able to reach inside the dash to get it?

I tried removing the clock, but couldn't get inside th dash.

Thanks. :wink:

Yes, Maybe, No

I have a loose object inside the dash. Every time I take a hard turn, I can hear it sliding from one side to another. It may be just a loose screw.

Indeed it may.

If I remove the glove compartment, will I be able to reach inside the dash to get it?

If the noise is on the passenger's side of the dash - yes. If the noise is in the center of the dash - maybe. If the noise is on the driver's side of the dash - no.

I tried removing the clock, but couldn't get inside the dash.

Not surprising, considering that the clock opening is too small look into the dash, let alone putting your hand through. :smile:

I find this very interesteing because there is really no flat 'terrain' under the dash for something to roll on :confused:
The three largest flat areas are the top of the exap case (you can't get there from here) and the tops of the l and r lower dash panels. Those two come out with just a few screws. How long does it roll for? Can you tell how far it travels?
Maybe have someone else drive around in a parking lot and see if you can pinpoint the area closer.
Have you had any major work done lately?

MB

NSXTech said:
I find this very interesteing because there is really no flat 'terrain' under the dash for something to roll on :confused:
The three largest flat areas are the top of the exap case (you can't get there from here) and the tops of the l and r lower dash panels. Those two come out with just a few screws. How long does it roll for? Can you tell how far it travels?
Maybe have someone else drive around in a parking lot and see if you can pinpoint the area closer.
Have you had any major work done lately?

MB

I would guess that it rolls for at least half of the length of the dash. I hear it when i take both hard L & R turns and it would roll either side depends on the turn. If I turn normally, it does not happen.

The sound seems to come directly the dash cover.

Help :confused:

Wow, I have the exact same problem. I have not figured out what it is yet, so any help would help. It sounds like a little piece of metal (like a screw) that slides across half the dash) Maybe its a little piece of plastic that broke off from under the hard plastic piece thats right under the windshield?

I alo have a loose rolling obect in my '92. It happens occasionally which may mean that it gets caught somewhere sometimes. Mine also sounds like a loose bolt rolling on a flat surface--wierd.

I had this same problem.. sounded exactly like it was in the front dash area and would do it only when i would turn left or right. I was certain it was behind the glove box until one day I had it disassembled and found nothing loose. So I drove in the neighborhood and i could still hear something rolling around. Turned out to be a big screw that was laying in that spot where the passenger seat is bolted down. There is a small spot there where you can lift the carpet and see the bolts. It was odd that it was there actually because it really sounded as if it were in the dash area.

sjones said:
Turned out to be a big screw that was laying in that spot where the passenger seat is bolted down. There is a small spot there where you can lift the carpet and see the bolts. It was odd that it was there actually because it really sounded as if it were in the dash area.

i have the same problem... but i swear its coming from the dash

red_dragon said:
i have the same problem... but i swear its coming from the dash

I could have sworn it was coming from the dash too, thats what prompted me to take apart the glove box. It wasn't until after i had it completely apart that I found the bolt underneath the carpet. There is a small slit there so you don't even have to pull the carpet up, at least i didn't.
By the way, when i started looking for the rolling noise, I took my car out and did a hard left so i would have an idea on what side to look.
Just lift your mat and look at the slits where the seat is bolted down up front and see if a bolt is laying there.

As a post script, today I did find the loose screw ! It was a metal screw which was sitting on the tray of the lower dash panel. My dash had been apart before so I'm not too surprised. So, keep looking and I'm sure you'll find one too. Good luck!

I long suspected that the "loose screw" noise that's been bugging me was coming from someplace other than the dash. So, after reading sjones experience finding a loose screw rolling under the rug in front of the passenger seat, I decided to check it out. Bingo!

However, after removing the screw I still had the noise, so this time I decided to do a more thorough search by the passneger and driver's seat. I found two more screws--13.5 yrs, and two A/C evap replacements will do that :frown: --and a nut that strangely would not attach to my magnetic probe. Turned out to be a Brazil nut, which is what I get for snacking in the car :redface:

Spyder

Back