• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Love Grand Rapids... Whats up with the roads?

My Fiance is from Michigan, and we went over to GR to visit some of her friends from Alma over the weekend. With the baby on the way we are considering GR for possible relocation, so i was looking with a critical eye.

Great town, loved the people and the cost of housing is hard to beat, but the roads were absolutely the pits (pun fully intended) How do you guys deal with that?

Philip

This past winter has been particularly rough on Michigan roads... for a nice drive, the country 2 lanes are rarely pitted.

My Fiance is from Michigan, and we went over to GR to visit some of her friends from Alma over the weekend. With the baby on the way we are considering GR for possible relocation, so i was looking with a critical eye.

Great town, loved the people and the cost of housing is hard to beat, but the roads were absolutely the pits (pun fully intended) How do you guys deal with that?

Philip
buy a fast 4x4 truck

Am here for work, so I deal with it by driving rentals, or riding cabs/limos. :eek:

The rough/long winter aside, Michigan has this "employment security" program where the line of orange construction cones has to be kept at a consistent length pretty much year-round.

Just ask Mayor Kwame of Detroit :rolleyes:

Chicago roads are no treat either, but there were a few spots in GR where I thought the car was going to shake apart.

How do your police know when someone is DUI? EVERYONE is weaving on the roadways- just to avoid the potholes! LoL :D

Jokes aside, we had a great time in Michigan. I continue to love midwestern hospitality.

Philip

Diesel's are the rage in Michigan. Maybe that's why the roads are beaten to a pulp, with 50% of the people up here driving around with 8,000lb trucks year round. Yep, I'm one of them...:biggrin:

i drive a tundra. 0-60 in 6 seconds. tows 10,000 lbs, handles pot holes like a dream. couldnt ask for a better vehicle for michigan.

This is the worst winter (across most of the Midwest) in the past thirty years. Roads in Chicago have horrible potholes, and I've encountered the same situation in racetrack trips the past couple of weekends to Ohio and Indiana. I've never seen the roads anywhere near this bad, since the late 1970s. As a frequent traveler to Grand Rapids over the years (there are two racetracks nearby, Grattan and GingerMan), I can assure you that there is nothing specific to Grand Rapids in this regard.

It's also not clear how soon the roads will be fixed. The amount of repair required is massive, at a time when government spending is tight and the cost of paving materials is at an all-time high (petroleum is a big component of paving and patching materials).

Incidentally, Grand Rapids has a lot of great restaurants. My favorites include Leo's, for seafood, and Bistro Bella Vita, an Italian bistro, both downtown. About forty miles down the road, Everyday People Cafe in Douglas serves spectacular contemporary American cuisine.

Back