• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Love the NSX...but why? (non-owner)

Hello all, after joining NSXPrime this is my first post :smile:

I've been a member of CB7Tuner (4th gen Accords) for a long time and for as long as I can remember, I've been obsessed with the NSX. It has been my dream car since I was introduced to the automotive culture at a young age. There are a lot of people I've met, (friends, other enthusiasts) that are passionate about cars but don't see my reasoning for loving the NSX :frown:. Through the years I've met more NSX owners that are respectful and willing to chat versus other car companies like Porsche, Ferrari, Dodge, where arrogance runs supreme. Those encounters have made me respect the NSX even more and I'm always trying to learn about the culture behind the car.

So I ask you this, why the NSX? I love this car but there are so many people that say it's under powered and over rated. So to the NSX owners, what is your position on this? I'd like to hear some real stories or insight into the NSX world. Hopefully after reading some of your posts you'll make me want to buy one even more :biggrin:.

-Cole

I love the styling. There's simply nothing out there that looks as amazing as this car. In real life, it looks a lot better than in photos.

other reasons;

affordable exotic
extremely rare , not many on the road
handling
maintenance
power is quite sufficient when ctsc equipped
an excellent daily driver

those people who say its under powered or over rated are ENVIOUS because they cannot afford to have one. simple.

The car is pretty classic. Timeless even.

When I was looking for a car, I paged through the 350Z's, Supra TT's, G35s... everything had a fatal flaw ( I wasn't even considering anything made stateside ).

When I happened upon the NSX, I noted a few things:

It's a Honda. Now, you could stop here and say well that means "reliability" but there's a few more good things that come with that.

Before I drove an NSX, I drove ( still do ) a 2000 Accord SE. When I stepped into the NSX for the first time, I instantly knew where everything was and what everything did because Honda keeps it simple.

Great build quality, ergonomic. Some may flame me for this, but if you were blindfolded and put into the seat and couldn't see the exterior, you couldn't tell it wasn't an Accord because of how nice it rides and how easy it is to drive.

The car was handbuilt and only a single pair of hands touched the engine.
The wheels are all forged and extremely light. The suspension resembles that of F1 state-of-the-art. Basically, it was an F1 car for the road.

I do agree with the statement above about envy. I've seen it firsthand.
They'll trash the car, but if you ever offered it as a trade to their car, they would take it in a heartbeat.

Why? Well there's more to a car than brute force. There has to be a connection between the road, your hands, and your brain.
The car has a "presence" if you will which can't hopelessly be matched by anything today short of Italian styling ( of which the NSX is derived ).

Some here would rather their car sound like a Ferrari. I ask why? I'd rather my car sound like an NSX. The exhaust note is subdued, but unique. Sound inside the cabin is very quiet surprisingly.

I still call it the "entire package". Reliability, economy, good looks, good sounds, purebred heritage.

I'll go with the stuff jared said (except and F1 car for the street, that was a little extreme. :tongue:)

I like it because it's unique. I was down to a Viper, a Vette and an NSX and I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with my decision. The Viper was incredibly small inside and the early ones had PLASTIC windows. I see corvettes like I see cavaliers and mini vans. The market has become SO saturated, that I feel the Corvette has lost it's "presence". There really is a presence about this car. It's kinda weird really. I mean you can't even pull into a gas station without people staring, asking questions, wondering what it is... I love that. So I would say the presence of this car is unlike anything else except maybe something in the stratosphere of price. Lambo, Ferrari, etc......

Presence is my answer for what is special. But what Jared said about the feeling between your brain, hands, ass and road is something special too. I really feel more "tuned into" this car than anything else I've driven.

Good explanation! I have only had mine the past 2 weeks but from what I can tell I am HOOKED. This is my 1st honda product and dont think I will ever go back. Your driving a car that probably has only 6000 examples left in the U.S. You wil l not regret getting one I promise. Its a feeling only driving one can provide.

Cheers
Blaine

Here's a simple answer. I'm not one who listens to other people's opinions on cars. I like to decide and think for myself. So I drove everything at or below NSX's price range. This includes cars from Porsches to Corvettes. The NSX was the only car that I actually felt satisfied with.

I'll go with the stuff jared said (except and F1 car for the street, that was a little extreme. :tongue:)

I like it because it's unique. I was down to a Viper, a Vette and an NSX and I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with my decision. The Viper was incredibly small inside and the early ones had PLASTIC windows. I see corvettes like I see cavaliers and mini vans. The market has become SO saturated, that I feel the Corvette has lost it's "presence". There really is a presence about this car. It's kinda weird really. I mean you can't even pull into a gas station without people staring, asking questions, wondering what it is... I love that. So I would say the presence of this car is unlike anything else except maybe something in the stratosphere of price. Lambo, Ferrari, etc......

Presence is my answer for what is special. But what Jared said about the feeling between your brain, hands, ass and road is something special too. I really feel more "tuned into" this car than anything else I've driven.

OK so maybe it was a little extreme :tongue: .

You said that you've met many NSX owners. Have you driven the car yet? IMO, all you have to do is drive one. The car'll let you know everything you need to know to answer your question.

I was a dyed-in-the-wool Porsche-phile ,and was about to write a check for one, when the salesman told me that before I bought a P-car I really should drive the '91 NSX he had in the back. I respectfully declined as I had my mind, and heart, set on the Porsche. Fortunately his arm-twisting resulted in me driving it and, ten minutes later, buying it. That was over ten years ago and I have never looked back.

Yeah, I plan on purchasing an NSX sometime in the near future. I have met people that have owned them, none of whom I've been close enough to to get a rid or test drive. I think once I get a ride along or drive one I'll just make myself crazy, lol.

I do feel as though the car market is getting very saturated with more new cars, more power, more speed that everyone is really losing sight of what makes a car special. I feel like the NSX re-captures that image when it's lost. But of course that's just my opinion based on research and talks, not having driven one yet, lol.

It has been my dream car since I was introduced to the automotive culture at a young age. There are a lot of people I've met, (friends, other enthusiasts) that are passionate about cars but don't see my reasoning for loving the NSX :frown:

I'm sure you'll meet a lot of people here who will share similar stories. The NSX became my dream car when I first saw illustrations of it (then labeled NS-X) in a car magazine when I was still in high school. Ten years later, the dream became reality when I drove home in my new 2000 NSX-T. My Ferrari- and Porsche-owning former boss never understood my passion for the car.

I often say "reality is better than the dream"...the culture of the owners and NSX Prime is a huge chunk of the reason why.

Last edited:
IMO, people who are dedicated to Porsche, Ferrari or other premium names are as dedicated to the name as much as they are to the car. The NSX, being an Acura, doesn't have the name appeal of brands with "history" behind them. Then there are fans of American muscle who tend to dismiss anything that doesn't provide the low-end torque they are used to. And many sport car buyers place a higher value on relative performance numbers than seat-of-the-pants feel.

That leaves those relative few who value the NSX on its own merits for how it feels to drive. After all, ultimate performance numbers may be relevant on a racetrack, but they are largely irrelevant in the real world on the street.

I bought my 91 NSX two years ago and seriously considered it as a daily driver...I had owned a corvette and had driven it in the snow. Upon getting the car, I realized the true presence of the machine and the fact that it was truely rare - in teh same guise as a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. So I kept my Cadillac (must get an RSX when I pay off my NSX) as my daily driver and put the hand-assembled beauty in the garage. Driving the Cadillac became a new experience as was driving around the streets of Calgary...my caddie was a piece of flawed machinery and most anyone's car did not impress me at the least...especially the Vettes - which were everywhere! I caught myself examining other cars - so as to compare them to the NSX - and I found that there are not many that I appreciate as much! The Caymans are very neat and look awesome from the back...but after seeing 5 of them parked in my community, I realized how rare the NSX was. I can go weeks a not see one NSX in a city of a million people! The same goes for Ferraris and Lamborghinis...and it is for this reason that I see why people rush over to view the NSX...to own one is to understand the definition of presence:smile:

dam - An X-men for life :cool:

The NSX is such a rare vehicle. Moving from Cleveland to Detroit to Chicago, I've seen more Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Porsche's than any NSX. On the street I've only seen the NSX maybe 3-4 times. I'm sure if I was further south I'd see a bit more.

An analogy, of what driving an NSX is like....

may not make sense to you, but for think about it...

driving the NSX is like ballroom dancing with a very skilled, nimble, balanced responsive partner... everything you do works better, and you can find yourself discovering things you wouldn't with another partner- plus, it just feels right- all the time.

That's how being on the road in my NSX feels.

~Jon

Why you ask. Its the feel of the car when you drive it. Its the looks you get when your in it. Its the rareity of it on the road. Underpowered, Overrated What? These people saying this have probally never driven it. All I have to say is drive one and you will know. Own one and you will understand. Good Luck on you future purchase on one. Probally the best purchase I ever made on a car.

Why? Because Its a blast to drive. Drive one and you to will understand. :wink:

I can go weeks a not see one NSX in a city of a million people! The same goes for Ferraris and Lamborghinis...and it is for this reason that I see why people rush over to view the NSX...to own one is to understand the definition of presence:smile:

You can't be serious... a MILLION? Canadians? In Canada??

Bush needs to hurry up on that fencebuilding project. :tongue:

Because when I bought it, as soon as I drove it down the street, thousands of hot girls just started jumping on the hood of my car. It got so bad that that I had to take the windshield wipers off so they couldn't hold on. Now they just throw their panties at the NSX, which isn't so bad until it clogs up the side air intake.

I never really considered an NSX until I saw a video of one on YouTube last year while I was in Iraq and heard the engine screaming! I loved the high-pitched wail and then fell in love with the sleek styling. Since returning to the US I have seen a handfull of them driving on the roads here in Colorado and even my wife says "WOW..." when one drives by, and she is not in to cars :biggrin: Now that I'm out of the Army and have a better paying job, I'm going to begin saving for one ASAP!

Lots of people here are telling you that you have to drive one to really understand what the NSX has to offer.

there are so many people that say it's under powered and over rated.
And I can bet you that 99 percent of them have never driven one. Those are mostly people who judge cars only based on specs (probably not much more than horsepower) and never from actually driving one.

I agree with most everything said... just a great balanced car.... it makes me feel good driving it. Sometimes, at night, I turn on the garage lights just to look at it.... sounds strange... but I bet a lot of us owners do that.

An eternal sportmind for you

BTW I don't track.... but I have never lacked for power from this car.

Last edited:
Hello all, after joining NSXPrime this is my first post :smile:
So I ask you this, why the NSX? I love this car but there are so many people that say it's under powered and over rated.
-Cole

Cole, first let me welcome you.......:)

2nd, "those people" that talk, how many have owned/driven one? :confused:

Never trust what other people say unless they have experience.

I used to think it was underpowered but after owning one, it feels VERY strong, not as fast as the GT3 but sure does feel planted and QUICK.

My first ride in an NSX as actually on a test drive at a Chicago dealer as the GM insisted I try the car....(at the time I had an s4) You really need to find a friend to give you a ride as there is no other way to describe it. We can all talk till our face is blue but you MUST EXPERIENCE IT. I was blessed to have a nice dealer let me drive the car but just look in your local area for a nice owner.

rk

Last edited:
Cole, first let me welcome you.......:)

2nd, "those people" that talk, how many have owned/driven one? :confused:

Never trust what other people say unless they have experience.

Yeah I don't listen to others when they rag on the NSX. I love the car regardless, who cares what people say, the NSX is awesome :smile:

Back