• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Love the nsx but??

With the costs and availability of parts being harder to find I was thinking of buying a FR-S or 240z for the track. So the question is FR-S or build at 240z track car? I really want to know your opinions from a track prospective.

Thanx

I have a BRZ. Albeit its softly sprung and is primarily built as a commuter and backup track car. It's a 6AT (which is actually brilliant for what it is). It's an extremely fun car BUT it's tough to take it seriously in near stock form. I have not been on the track in a race prepped 86 but they are pulling some fast times out there. I'm friends with the guys from CSG so i'm familiar with their cars (to give you some background).

The 86 is no NSX. It's not a serious car like the NSX is. When I drive the NSX on the track I truly feel it's a car that needs to be treated with a lot of respect. If so, it'll reward (which you know). The BRZ is a toy. A shitload of fun but I still think of it like a toy.

I'm not sure i'd build a either as track car. BRZ is too expensive. 240Z seems like the rear end is so light. I'd probably do something cheaper and better if I had the option to build just a track car. Civic, Miata, Mustang, C5 corvette, 350Z.. hell I saw a 1st gen track ready RX7 for sale at the track forum the other day for $900. It sold with a quickness.

With all that said... my NSX will be an aggressive GT car. I enjoy it more that way. When I go to future track days i'm considering just swapping on sticky tires on the BRZ, firming up the RS*R Sports-I coilovers and enjoy the BBQ grill in between sessions.

I watched a BRZ get passed by Miatas all day long at the track on Monday. It may have been the driver, but it really didn't seem to have any low end torque.

I watched a BRZ get passed by Miatas all day long at the track on Monday. It may have been the driver, but it really didn't seem to have any low end torque.

My track prepared street legal nsx can get around almost anything on the track.

Parts are still readily available and there are some tuners that can help make very quick.

If I want to race I would get a spec miata. Parts are dirt cheep and the car will get dinged up racing. I could not afford to race the nsx but for hpde it is a dream.

Ive been over this same quandary a few times. Even had a thread here about it. Tracking the NSX is NOT cheap but gets cheaper after the initial investments. There is the unforeseen circumstances who's financial impacts can be a bit hard to swallow if you're comparing them with other platforms. fr example I just helped a friend build a reliable 380hp motor for $2000 TOTAL. If you just want to go have fun, don't drive the car 10-/10ths, dont get crazy with the mods- you'll be fine AND learn in one of the best cars to learn in. (After meeting you at the track a few times I think your car currently falls perfectly into this category as is).

If you dont want to put your investment on the line weekend after weekend I would consider getting something more fun. the BRZ or FRS are 'fun' cars but not too much more than a NA1 NSX once you add the oil coolers and stuff you'll need to do to drive them on the track. I have friends that have them, Regan included, and they drive exactly as described. As far as a 240z, thats NOT really a cheap track car. I have friends that have them from stock show room all the way to full Le Mans spec Rebello built monsters. They take a lot of TLC to get them to safe and as much more as you'd expect to do to drive a 40+ year old car 10/10th's Maybe as much if not more than a FRS.

Personally im looking into 240sx, rx7's and ae86's with s2k or sr20det motor swaps. The chassis are CHEAP, plentyful and well supported and the motors are rock solid. It wont be the fastest out there but it will be fun, and thats all im looking for.

Last edited:
Great input guys. Not sure what to do but the 240 and FRS are out.

MODS please move back to track as I put it there because I want a track perspective not a general perspective.

No Unfortantly I would love to see you guys. Plan on racing again when the temp is below 90 haha! Want to go to chuckwalla in nov with NASA AZ!

My brother has a AP1 and yes you are right a few mods and its fast! I don't like the feel of that car. Very light steering and feels like a the steering wheel is attached with bungies. Haha!

Just get AP1 with few quick mods later and call it a day.

My brother has a AP1 and yes you are right a few mods and its fast! I don't like the feel of that car. Very light steering and feels like a the steering wheel is attached with bungies. Haha!

I spoke with Mike, aka "psychoazn" on the forums who owns a S2000CR and runs a shop with a BR-Z. The dude is fast, like sub 1:24 at SOW and 2:01 at Buttonwillow 13. Anyway, last time I was at Chuckwalla I had him instruct me & show me some of the secrets to help me get in the sub-2:10s at Chuckwalla.

Anyway, after the lessons I asked him specifically which car he thinks is a better one between the S2000 and BR-Z. He basically said if you keep it stock, the S2000 since it's faster out of the box with better tires. With light mods to moderate-high mods, the BR-Z/FR-S takes the cake because in his words "it's simply a more balanced chassis." For full race (as in with aero) it's a toss up as both cars have their strength's and weaknesses and the possibilities are pretty much endless. The S2000 has aerodynamic lift issues and needs a wing to keep the rear down. The BR-Z/FR-S is a zero-lift car from the beginning but benefits from more frontal downforce (this is hard with the weakish front bumper).

Anyway, I wouldn't rule out the BR-Z/FR-S, because it's definitely getting quite a following in aftermarket tuners. In fact almost all the track events I've been to as of late, all the S2000s have left and been replaced with BR-Z/FR-Ss.

But if you want a surefire track car, a bargin price, huge race following, & a HUGE parts bin, I don't think you can come close to the Miata. It's also a great car to hone in your driving skills because the limited power requires you to take the best lines to get the best lap times.

All that being said, I want my next track car to be a C6 Z06 Vette. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Mike knows his stuff. He'll be testing the same radiators we're testing now on their soon-to-be blown BRZ.

In my experience, the BRZ is so good out of the box, that it's actually difficult to improve on it. I've gone thru 3 different suspension setups and stock has been better. I don't buy cheap coilovers either. I think I have no choice now but to buy the really expensive stuff to improve over stock and keep my lowered "hellaflush" ride height (i'm kidding).

A lot of vendors are putting out parts out there that are making these cars worse with the attitude that it works on other cars. My friends in the industry tell me the 86 aftermarket is pretty much dead. Business is quite slow. I think it's because owners have wised up. It's great out of the box. It just needs better tires and better brake pads (for the track). Some say needs more power.. I don't think so but more power in this car makes it more potent.. not necessarily more fun.

- - - Updated - - -

btw.. I love my 6speed Automatic!

Let's face it, most of us aren't willing to drive a NSX 10/10ths on track and risk wadding it up. There are a few on here and I commend them but I personally can't.

The BRZ is a fantastic car and would be a great track and DD car, couple that with the DGAF factor and you'll probably be quicker around track than what you would be willing to push your NSX to.

Back