• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lowering Options

I've read many of the posts that talk about lowering options and can't seem to figure out what to do.

I just put a new set of wheels an my car and yea, they don't look as good as I expected becuase of the nasty gap. I have 18x9 on rear and 17x7.5 on the front.

What's the easiest / most inexpensive way to lower the car for cosmetic reasons (I don't track the car at all)?

Can I get the desired result by adding Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set?

Ed

Distance Runner said:
Tein S-Tech springs. Inexpensive and they came recommended by SOS.

Improved look with good ride quality.

Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions:

1) What's SOS
2) Do I need to change the shocks?
3) From my reading in the forum, it seems some have lowered 0.8" just by going to Bilstein shocks. I know nothing about suspension but can't understand why the shock would do this w/o changing the springs?

Thanks - Ed

emdoller said:
Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions:

1) What's SOS
2) Do I need to change the shocks?
3) From my reading in the forum, it seems some have lowered 0.8" just by going to Bilstein shocks. I know nothing about suspension but can't understand why the shock would do this w/o changing the springs?

Thanks - Ed

1)SOS - Science Of Speed (they got their own website)
2)Optional, I know some use their stock shocks with aftermarket springs -but usually people go for shocks and springs together
3)I don't believe that's true, still need to change the spring to change the ride height

Other option is going for coil-over, good luck

IS

I guess you learn something every day!! :smile:

I just checked out their website. I will call them in the AM and talk to them about tow options:

1) Type RA suspension
2) STECH springs

Again, I'm not familiar with suspension and I'm looking for something that will lower my car 1 to 1.5" and hopefully is something I can install.

Ed

Ed,
I have used Bilsteins to lower all three of my NSXs. They look good. On one car, I used Comptech springs along with the Bilstein and I found the ride too harsh for the street. If you use Bilstein on the lower perch with stock springs, your car can lower 3/4 with very good look and very comfortable ride. You do not need to use aftermarket springs to lower the car.
I am selling this set of very strong and light Volk LE37K with Nitto 555s
Steve
7212NSX00001-med.jpg

7212NSX_with_VolkTE37K_009-med.jpg

the Tein S-tech's only lower .7 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear. I had them and decided it wasn't low enough. Hardly noticable IMO.

I went with Eibach's which are 1.2 inches all around. I got about a 2 finger gap all around on my 18/19's. Perfect for my needs, since I daily drive my NSX. Still have to angle the car on some driveways though.

Some coilovers would be nice because you can adjust the height to your needs. Remember though, the lower you go, the more tire wear issues you'll have to worry about.

Thanks. I'm slowly learning. I was looking at the Tein RA coilovers, which I assume mean you replace the shocks and the springs with a one piece unit, right?

What attracted me to them is the fact that you can adjust the height. I'd hate to go through all this and find out it doesn't look good or it rubs.

What do you know / think about the tein RA option?

I assume changing to the Bilsteins is pretty easy, right?

Thanks Steve.

Ed

You should try to show up to the local meet and see them in person.

I went w/ the Bilstein shock only...and it lowered the gap from a 4 fingers to a 2 fingers. Even with 2 fingers gap, I do run into scraping a little bit of my front in pulling out/in driveway.

I would love to have it with no finger gap, but it's not worth it to me. I have heard the ride will be harsher and uneven tires problem and more scratches on the bottom of the car.

If you have the money, then I suggest the coilover where you can adjust it to your liking.

vtec888 said:

I went w/ the Bilstein shock only...and it lowered the gap from a 4 fingers to a 2 fingers. Even with 2 fingers gap, I do run into scraping a little bit of my front in pulling out/in driveway.

I would love to have it with no finger gap, but it's not worth it to me. I have heard the ride will be harsher and uneven tires problem and more scratches on the bottom of the car.

If you have the money, then I suggest the coilover where you can adjust it to your liking.

Thanks. That's my thinking... I like to have options. I need to think hard about doing anything at all as I'm concnerned I screw things up for looks.

Ed

vtec888 said:

Did you change them yourself and was it easy?

Nope...I had it installed by professional.

$500 for Bilstein shock, $300 for installation, $100 for alignment.

Check the technical forum and you should find instruction to install them. With proper tools, you can probably do it yourself. If I had someone who did it before next to me, then I would do it...but I didn't have the luxury. I think it took them about 4-5 hours to do the installation and alignment...can't remember....took it in at around 10am...and waited until 3-4pm.... 1 hour lunch break...etc.

A nother question: If I go with just the Bilsteins is there anyway to tell if I will have rubbing issues?

I have aftermarket wheels:

Front 17x7.5 +37
Rear: 18x9 +47

putting in shocks or putting in coilovers is about the same amount of labor with the exception of putting the coilovers together.

I installed mines myself. Took me about 4-5 hours with some beer breaks in between. Unless your knowledgeable, something I'd leave to a professional.

Rubbing will depend on the size of your tires also, but I don't think you should have rubbing problems with those size wheels.

I'm with you vtec888, i wish it mines was lower too, but definitely not worth the trouble.

Tein RA's are the roughest ride out, great for the track, bad for the back :wink: Get the Tein Flex if you want coilovers. I had both and its a night and day difference. Here's my car with the Flex and 18's front and back. The tires dont rub, but the front lip catches everything at that height :eek:
4291monstertruck-med.jpg

Back