• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LW Flywheel - Worth it or not?

Is it worth getting a lightweight flywheel with a CTSC setup?
Has anyone done this, who has a CTSC, and did they benefit from it?

I know about some of the negatives, but those dont concern me. Shaving off over 10 lbs of actually rotating mass at the flywheel does concern me. And I would imagine it would help quite a bit.

My mechanic, Barney D, is highly recommending this to me. I currently have the stock clutch, and it still doesnt slip. Even, though I may replace it at the same time just in case (and to save a little weight too).

So, those with either Turbo or CTSC setups, please respond.

Thanks,
Nathan

I just had the Stage 1 clutch and flywheel from SOS installed. The car definatly revs faster. The clutch pedal is MUCH STIFFER! I'm getting used to it though, it's not that bad. About the flywheel. Hmm.... I definatly chatter when I take off, but friends have told me that's because I'm not driving it correctly yet, and once I figure it out, I won't chatter it at all. It's a little difficult for me to figure out. I've always been VERY easy on clutches. I've driven cars for well over 100k and never needed a replacement, however driving like that with this setup seems to F everything up. So I'm trying to change my style. I'd say do it.

10lbs is 10lbs, would get it installed with a good clutch kit, the clutch will make a big difference in your performance. Some chatter is normal from some aftermarket clutch's, like the Exedy it rattles alot. I have installed serveral RPS clutches, and thus far seems to be the best performing clutch for the money. Good luck!:biggrin:

Barnman installed my clutch as well and we did go with the light version. I think it really helps the 1997+ cars because the flywheel is so heavy. The revs do go up and down faster when out of gear and when you engage the clutch you can feel the fact that the rotating mass is not there as much to keep you from stalling the car. I like the throttle and engagement relationship more now than with the heavier flywheel, it feels more nimble or sportier. I have only stalled the car a couple times in 2+ years and it was when I was not paying attention.

I have a CTSC but I don't think it effects how a lighter clutch/flywheel feels because you can really only feel the difference at low RPM. Hope this helps.

Joe

I also have the RPS clutch. It is stiffer but very smooth. Very happy with it and easier to stall but no slip. Hifgly recommended.

Nathan I have inquired about this with and never walked away feeling I had a solid answer. If you do it let me know as I am also really curious about this.

I currently have the Jun LWFW w/ CTSC and I've had it on a NA car as well.

I don't hear any chatter at all....neither setup. Revs are definitely faster.

Jeff

I just drove a 91 stock 5 speed. My comment while I was driving was yeah this is what a normal feels like :tongue: . The owner asked me to drive his just to make sure it was okay. He is used to a NA2 6speed.

My set CTSC with short gears 4.23 RPS clutch with lite weight flywheel. Definitely the rpm revs more freely and drops faster. Yeah it is fun. As far as the RPS clutch, it is a lot stiffer. I can't drive the car in my dress shoes, I have to wear tennis shoes. Reminds of the Cadillas STS/CTS commercial women driving tennis shoes and gets out wear high heels.

By the way I have jun available if you are interested.

Danny

I had the RM clutch/fly with shorties and when it died, I put the stocker back in. God I miss the Light fly. It makes a big differance and increases the fun factor in my opinion. It will take some time to get use to it, but you'll get it. For referance sake mine is a daily driver, but no FI (yet:frown: )

Has anyone contacted Comtech with this question.

lw flywheel simply affects how the clutch engagement works. w/o a flywheel, the engine will die quick when you try to engage the clutch. add a/c to this and it's worse. example, just a clutch without a spring pack will make take off from a start very hard. the springs absord the kinetic energy (rotational) of the clutch system and let the clutch slip nicely for a smooth engagement to rolling from a stop. without them, it's very harsh or a race launch.

you can think of a lightened flywheel as the same.

let's say stock is 16 pounds. you get an 8 pound unit. the new unit has half the KE of th stock unit. great for how fast it can get spinning, very bad for how it launches, especially with the a/c on or in traffic.

on a honda B series engine, an 8 lb flywheel is cool, you can slip a sprung clutch enough to make it work. on an nsx, it can also work because we have more crank KE thanks to 6 cylinders.

a lighter flywheel is all about driveability, up to a point. that point is personal, but be aware a sprung or unsprung clutch will have a lot to do with it.

an 8-10 lb flywheel should be fine with a streetable (read sprung) clutch kit, should be fine.

btw, a lower weight flywheel will get you more power thanks to the lower KE to get it going. even the butt dyno will register this. if you have a motorcycle you can easily understand.

Back