• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Maintenance suggestions for 15K mile 2005?

So I bought a minty 15K mile 2005 a few months ago, getting ready for the snow to melt and salt to get washed away so I can drive it. I’ve done a few things, wondering if I’m missing something.

A year ago, previous owner did:

Timing belt / water pump / fluid change (including brake fluid)

I have done:

New tires (Michelin PS AS4 all-seasons- std equip on C8 Vette so should be ok)
New shocks (Bilstein) and alignment
PPF and ceramic coat https://www.instagram.com/p/CLpNiHAhRy5/

I have ordered from sos:

All new coolant hoses
New coolant tank and cap
(I may install, or may be lazy and have Source One do it.)

Any suggestions on other items I should check or replace?

Drive it like you stole it. I see nothing special to do. Check drive shaft boots or other possible leaks. You have time to wait for the next TB job to do the coolant hoses and tank.

I don't there's much to do mechanically due to the low miles.
Just have a look at the coolant bottle. If it shows cracks I'd replace it. Not many heat cycles on the hoses, so they should be good for the next 5 years.
You might also consider the electronics like the CCU.

get a spare main relay...be on the lookout for hvac issues as the capacitors on the boards may leak...do an alignment if not done in last few years...

Maybe check the battery condition and clean the terminals to make sure you have good voltage and connection. I've had to do that a couple of times. I have a 2003 with 23k miles.

I'd get some Shin-Etsu grease and gently/lightly apply to all targa, trunk and hood seals.
I do it every 2 years - here it is Shin-Etsu

Every Winter I also attach a small 12+ volt DC transformer to the jumper cable locations in the rear
fuse box and completely remove battery and clean everything.

And the best thing I ever did was get a float charger for 20 bucks at harbor freight.

I also made a new foam homemade filter for the electric air pump in the truck because the foam
was turning to dust.

But the main point, as mentioned, drive it like you stole it. I got mine in '05 with 6k miles and now it has 70k.

I don't there's much to do mechanically due to the low miles.
Just have a look at the coolant bottle. If it shows cracks I'd replace it. Not many heat cycles on the hoses, so they should be good for the next 5 years.
You might also consider the electronics like the CCU.

Sorry, but I'd rather keep things as original as possible. Honda builders do a better job than I can ever do. Follow the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :biggrin:

Anyway, most main relay problems are due to cracked solder joints. If you're handy with a soldering iron, re-flowing them fixes them, and you're good as new. It's easy, and only takes about an hour to repair and replace.

For the CCU, the finish is very easy to scratch.

It's good that you're buying parts though. Some have been discontinued.

Don't baby the car. They're designed to be driven like an exotic. Otherwise, the cats soot up, etc. I saw a Diablo with clogged cats in the shop, and don't want to think how much they cost to fix! :wink:

Sorry, but I'd rather keep things as original as possible. Honda builders do a better job than I can ever do. Follow the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :biggrin:
Nothing wrong with that. I'm following the saying: "if it's going to break soon, it's better to replace/repair it soon." :) Honda engineers did a good job on the car but they can't delay detoriation over the years. It's only a car, not a space shuttle. :D

Anyway, most main relay problems are due to cracked solder joints. If you're handy with a soldering iron, re-flowing them fixes them, and you're good as new. It's easy, and only takes about an hour to repair and replace.
Yes, as long you have a soldering iron with you if the cars lefts you out in the desert, no problem with that. :) With 15k miles I wouldn't expect a problem with it anyway but they are prone to fail after some xx k miles.

For the CCU, the finish is very easy to scratch.
Generally any part is easy to scratch easily with the right tools. :wink: But that's no excuse not to work on it if needed as long as you are careful. Or would you avoid touching the steering wheel while driving because it can get scratched? :D

Generally any part is easy to scratch easily with the right tools. :wink: But that's no excuse not to work on it if needed as long as you are careful. Or would you avoid touching the steering wheel while driving because it can get scratched? :D

Agreed. When master relays fail, they usually work when you let them settle a minute, or you can bang on them. (I've had two failures...)

Anyway, reflowing the joints is easy and not intrusive.

Back