• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mario Cano at Laguna Seca, Saturday 8-25-20 Session 4

Hello Mario, nice meeting you yesterday. You car looks amazing in person. Great to see the NC on the track. :)

Hey Mario,
Been following some of your posts. Any rec's for a reasonable tire for track days. I went thru the Conti 6's in 4 events, and they weren't great! I know Trofeo's grip well, but they may last 2-3 days and are $$$$.
Seems the rear tire size 305/30/20 is limiting our options. There are some other brands that fit, but with an aspect ratio of 35, but I don't know if that will affect car dynamics with the higher sidewall. What do you think??
Thanks!
Tom

Great to see you get bitten hard by the track bug...:cool: btw please update prime from time to time on how many track events you do and how the NC1 holds up to the "exercise"..how does your car do with consumables ect....also do you use the paddles on track or let the computers decide...

Track Tires

Hi Tom,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your tire question. For some reason I have not been receiving emails notifying me that someone has made a post on my thread.

I sold my NC1 a couple of months ago to a Gen 1 NSX owner in Arizona. However, to answer your tire question, I bought a second set of wheels dedicated to track use only. The tire manufacturer and specs I was using is as follows:

TOYO R888R TIRES
Front: 245/35 ZR19
Rear: 315/30 ZR20
$1 800

These tires are better than the Michelin S4S that I was using when I did not have a dedicated track wheels, and way better than Conti 5’s that came with my NC1.

Peter Cunninham’s prefers the Perrelli’s, but as you indicated, they are expensive, and beyond my budget. However, when I mentioned this to Peter at the 2021 NSXPO HPDE, he told me that that best safety improvement I have control over, is the tires I purchase for my NC1 or and car one uses on the track. So, I would suggest trying the Perrelli’s.

Hi Doc,

It’s been a while. As I indicated above, I sold my NC1. However, I can report my experience concerning wearables, ie, tires, breaks!

Break Pads. The most important thing I have to say is “Don’t let your pads wear down to the metal”. I did not check my pads regularly, and I ended up ruining my rotors, a $6,000 mistake. The NC1 is a heavy car and goes through pads really fast when you track your NC1.

As for tires, I bought a second set of wheels dedicated to track use only. The tire manufacturer and specs I was using is as follows:

TOYO R888R TIRES
Front: 245/35 ZR19
Rear: 315/30 ZR20
$1 800

These tires are better than the Michelin S4S that I was using when I did not have a dedicated track wheels, and way better than Conti 5’s that came with my NC1.

Peter Cunninham’s prefers the Perrelli’s, but they are extremely expensive ($2,700), and beyond my budget. However, when I mentioned this to Peter at the 2021 NSXPO HPDE, he told me that that best safety improvement I have control over, is the tires I purchase for my NC1! So, I would suggest trying the Perrelli’s.

In-car video of my 2017 NC1 NSX. Personal best 1:43.55.

attachment.php

CLICK AT THE " EXPAND" SYMBOL AT LOWER RIGHT HAND CORNER TO SEE FULL SIZE VERSION OF THE VIDEO!

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/442362078" width="500" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe>​

Last edited by mcano; 07-28-2020 at 06:42.​

Great video! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

Last edited:
Hi Doc,

It’s been a while. As I indicated above, I sold my NC1. However, I can report my experience concerning wearables, ie, tires, breaks!

Say it aint so....did you replace it with something else or downsizing?

Hi Doc John, my financial situation over the past year became dire, so I had reduce my expenditures. And my largest expenditure that I could live with out, was my NC1.

I hated to sell my NC1 since it was the best sports car I have ever owned. Hopefully, I can get myself into a better financial position to afford another NC1 some day.

But, to answer questions on downsizing or moving onto something else, I finally got my highly modified Spa Yellow Pearl 97 NSX back after 3 years of getting a custom built engine, that according to my mechanic was plagued with gremlins. The apparent gremlin was poor grounding. So, I lost two years of use of my 97 due to a simple thing as poor grounding. So, I’m not NSX-Less!

My NC1 out performs my 97 in just about every performance category. However, I’m happy when I launch my 400 HP 97, and you can’t beat driving a Gen 1 NSX with the top off LOL!!!

awesome to hear about the 97!..grounding issues esp with the supercharger are a real thing...btw best of luck with the $ flow.I'm sure you will figure that out.

you too....sad I could not make it to Portland..

yes will be my second time for that one!

Back