• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Marketplace Etiquette?

Hello NSX Primates,

So quick question, as I found myself kind of torn regarding a for sale post that I placed.

If for example, you place a sales ad, and the 1st person to contact you asks for shipping. The 2nd person that messaged you that they would like to purchase them. No questions asked, straight to the point.

Should I package the parts and give the 1st person the opportunity, or since the 2nd person committed to purchasing, do I continue the sale to 2nd person?

I honestly don't know....and I don't want to be unfair to either... thoughts?

If it were me personally, I would get a shipping quote and let the first interested party know that you have a standing offer at full asking price plus shipping. This way if the 1st interested party is ok with the total price including shipping they can have it, but if they planned to haggle then you can move on to your full price offer. The item has to be boxed up anyways regardless who you sell it to so it doesn't add much effort to pull a shipping quote and give the first person an opportunity to buy it.

agree

If it were me personally, I would get a shipping quote and let the first interested party know that you have a standing offer at full asking price plus shipping. This way if the 1st interested party is ok with the total price including shipping they can have it, but if they planned to haggle then you can move on to your full price offer. The item has to be boxed up anyways regardless who you sell it to so it doesn't add much effort to pull a shipping quote and give the first person an opportunity to buy it.

Agree.

It seems fair to me that the first person to "ink a deal" should get it. So in your scenario, I'd sell it to the second person, and tell the first one that it's been sold.

Did you agree to the first persons deal? If yes it’s his you eat shipping. If not then the guy who is willing to pay full price gets it.

It seems fair to me that the first person to "ink a deal" should get it. So in your scenario, I'd sell it to the second person, and tell the first one that it's been sold.

Did you agree to the first persons deal? If yes it’s his you eat shipping. If not then the guy who is willing to pay full price gets it.

But his ad says "$XXX plus shipping" therefore it is not unreasonable for a potential buyer to ask what the potential shipping charge would be to know the full price. That is why I think a shipping quote should be provided to the person who asked so they can understand what the "full price" is and then decide if they want to pay that or not, and if they don't then move on to buyer #2 who seems to not care what the shipping cost would be. Roll of the dice too because nothing will stop buyer number 2 from reneging on the deal if the shipping cost ends up being too high for them.

Again just my .02

No, I did not answer either of them, for some reason I'm not getting email notifications from NSX Prime that I have responses to my thread, nor when I receive PM's. But that's a separate issue.

When I logged in, I have a few messages, again 1st asking about shipping, 2nd told me he will take them.

I then responded to the 2nd asking for his details to calculate shipping, because it was a "sale". The 1st was more of an inquiry. Still no agreement has been made, and no money has changed hands.

Again, I'm asking because I would genuinely like to do the right thing.

Thanks again,
- Zishan

But his ad says "$XXX plus shipping" therefore it is not unreasonable for a potential buyer to ask what the potential shipping charge would be to know the full price. That is why I think a shipping quote should be provided to the person who asked so they can understand what the "full price" is and then decide if they want to pay that or not, and if they don't then move on to buyer #2 who seems to not care what the shipping cost would be. Roll of the dice too because nothing will stop buyer number 2 from reneging on the deal if the shipping cost ends up being too high for them.

Again just my .02

Yes, correct, I listed parts with price, plus shipping.

Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

As long as you didn’t agree to a deal with the first. Then sell it to someone else for more. I wouldn’t do that is bad etiquette. Deal is a Deal.

But if you got multiple offers and one is your full asking price. Don’t feel guilty taking it. That’s how haggling works. Some times you get beat out by people willing to shell out full price. At this point selling to the second person is not bad etiquette he’s paying your full asking, and no agreement was made with the first offer.

No, I did not answer either of them, for some reason I'm not getting email notifications from NSX Prime that I have responses to my thread, nor when I receive PM's. But that's a separate issue.

I just received word that there is hope this was fixed just a few minutes ago

As long as you didn’t agree to a deal with the first. Then sell it to someone else for more. I wouldn’t do that is bad etiquette. Deal is a Deal.

But if you got multiple offers and one is your full asking price. Don’t feel guilty taking it. That’s how haggling works. Some times you get beat out by people willing to shell out full price. At this point selling to the second person is not bad etiquette he’s paying your full asking, and no agreement was made with the first offer.

No deal was agreed to, just requested addresses to get shipping.

And no, I am not trying to make more money. I'm honestly hoping to get what I'm asking, but just want to be fair. If I was trying to be devious, I would not have asked publicly.. :biggrin:

I just received word that there is hope this was fixed just a few minutes ago

Hmm, I didn't think anything was broken? I was just curious how to proceed. I've request addresses from those interested. But I will provide shipping rates to all and give the 1st person rights, and so on.

Thanks for your trusted opinions...

There had been email problems for about a month now, the email provider the site uses changed a few things and it broke the forum's ability to send emails (not PM's) to users.

My apologies, I thought you meant an issue regarding the transaction.

And correct, all the sudden, I'm getting emails and messages to my gmail from NSX Prime!!

Thanks again,
- Zishan

Deal is a deal, but you have the right to sell to whomever you choose.

My wife sold our massage chair recently and the first few messages she was trying to be polite and courteous to people on fb marketplace.

By the 35th message she was just willing to take whoever had funds + approval from their wife. Apparently the winning combo was a guy buying it for his brother in law (many wives disapproved).

That being said, to answer your question I would give the 1st guy an opportunity to match. Keep a short leash though- if they start asking lots of tire-kicking questions just sell it to the 2nd guy. Sometimes you can get a feel of who is a good buyer just by the responses. If the 1st guy seems like a 'good guy' then of course you want to give him a fair chance.

Back