• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

metall noise after bilstein install

After keeping an eye on this thread from the beginning, I'm happy to report that our recently installed Bilsteins (stock springs on lower perch) work perfectly with no noises, cold or warm :cool:

Brian

After keeping an eye on this thread from the beginning, I'm happy to report that our recently installed Bilsteins (stock springs on lower perch) work perfectly with no noises, cold or warm :cool:

Brian

well mine is not anything to do with the rack..my car has 19k miles and it is a squeek that I cannot find where it is coming from..certain bumps and when cold

I met someone from Bilstein Germany and asked him what could be causing the squishy squeaking noise coming from my front shock absorbers when the car is cold. He mentioned various potential causes, all of which have been brought up in this thread before:
  • After installing the shocks, tighten the nuts and bolts again only when the suspension is loaded – preferably by having the car resting on its four wheels
  • Make sure the springs are properly centered in their hats
  • Make sure the rubber spring seat is properly rotated to match up with the last coil of the spring
  • Make sure all the bushings are lubricated
But then he mentioned one last thing that was new:
  • Sometimes, when the dampers are cold, the damper rod may squeak as it moves past the rubber seal at the top of the damper body
To test whether that’s the cause of the squeak in my case, he suggested I spray a shot of silicone at the seal. I did that and also lightly sprayed some silicone on the damper rod itself. While I was at it, I sprayed up inside the bellows to make sure the bump stop is coated and I also doused the rubber seat above the spring.

Success! The squishing squeaking noise my car made before it warmed up seems to be gone now. The suspension is quiet as soon as I set off on a drive.

If the noise comes back (since silicone spray is not particularly long-lasting), I’ll use a grease next time. Öhlins makes a grease they recommend be applied to the damper rods and o-rings of their shock absorbers to reduce friction and that sounds like the perfect product for the job. I won’t put it on my rear shock absorbers as preventative maintenance, though. My rear shock absorbers have always been quiet and since grease will attract dirt, I won’t apply it unless I have to.

Iam going to try thiss!

Solved my noise in the front finally.:biggrin:
With the car on the ground I loosened the three top mount nuts. The with a block of wood and a hammer I tapped all around the top of the shock (laterally). Then simply re-torqued the nuts. :cool:
I suspect that when I installed the shock with the car in the air/unloaded it never really seated correctly. I had check/re-torque the top nuts on a couple of other occasions but that alone did not fix the problem.

A while back I alos solved a squeek from the rear related to eibachs
That turned out to be the spring was not seated in the top mount. The eibachs are shorter than the shock. And when they went in with the swap bar removed the suspension travel drops all the way down and the spring is not longer in contact with the top. When I dropped the car down one side happened to settle on the edge of the top mount/cup. Re-installing the sway limits the travel enough so subsequent lifting of the car did not result in a change. After observing this lift the rear up, removed the sway bar and then carefully let the car back down making sure the spring stayed centered.

Thanks greenberet.

But anyway, I had several sets of Bilsteins on my car and NONE of them ever did the slightest noise. :)

Back