• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in 215/40*17

I replaced my aging Pirelli P Zero Corsa's fron tires with a set of Michelin's PS4's.
The Pirellis came in 205/45*17 while the Michelin are the better 215/40*17 to match the rear 265/35*18 size.
I haven't done many miles so far but the difference in comfort is amazing?
My car has KW V3 Clubsport dampers and the bumps on poor roads come unfiltered to the driver's seat.
Now, it seems that an extra cushion has been inserted between the road and me.
The sidewalls must be more compliant?
I hope it doesn't degrade the car's behaviour?

IMG_2790.JPG

I replaced my aging Pirelli P Zero Corsa's fron tires with a set of Michelin's PS4's.
The Pirellis came in 205/45*17 while the Michelin are the better 215/40*17 to match the rear 265/35*18 size.
I haven't done many miles so far but the difference in comfort is amazing?
My car has KW V3 Clubsport dampers and the bumps on poor roads come unfiltered to the driver's seat.
Now, it seems that an extra cushion has been inserted between the road and me.
The sidewalls must be more compliant?
I hope it doesn't degrade the car's behaviour?

View attachment 170656

I have Pilot Sport 4 on my NSX and also experienced a significant improvement in comfort after fitting them.

Before I decided to fit PS4 to my NSX I tried to seek out comparative reviews of the PS4 with other tyres available in that size. The summary seems to be that they're a great street tyre for nearly all conditions, but they do lose out when your requirement is ultimate dry grip and handling precision.

The general statement that everything's a compromise seems to hold true for tyres - if you have a softer ride then you probably give up some handling precision by virtue of softer sidewalls. The PS4 is a considered pretty much a general purpose high performance tyre now, with the more handling-oriented products in the Michelin range offering more stiffness in the sidewall and thus greater precision. Unfortunately, Michelin don't offer their higher-performance tyres in a 17" wheel size.

For further reference, there's some discussion of PS4 on NSXCB here, with Kaz chiming in on his experience:

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?4234-Tyres&p=127771#post127771

Interesting reading.
A more scientific comparaison is done here between the Michelin PS4, 4S and Cup 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMv64liOqIE
Conclusion around 11'45.
My rear tires are currently Cup 2's until they wear out.
BTW I believe I read a report somewhere that stated that the AD08R is not as good as the original AD08???

I imagine the handling balance between Cup 2s and PS4s could be a bit odd given the difference in the intended usage of those tyres - but of course finding the same tyre for front and rear tyre sizes on an NSX is quite difficult!

The reports you've read about the AD08 probably relate to the next evolution, the AD08RS. That thread on NSXCB is quite old now.

The new AD08RS is getting a very poor reception. I also have an Elise, for which the AD08 and then the AD08R were the ideal tyre for most users - there is a huge amount of noise on the Lotus forums complaining about how Yokohama has ruined their favourite tyre.

The rolling resistance of the AD08R was quite high, and EU regulations have a rolling target which progressively outlaws rolling resistance. The AD08R fell foul of that and could no longer be sold in the EU.

Yokohama had to do something to keep a tyre in the road/track section of the market, and what they did was take the same tyre design and just make it with harder compound rubber. That harder compound means it's just not the same all-purpose fast road and track day tyre that it's predecessor was.

There are more things that contribute to rolling resistance than just compound, though, and those haven't been changed with the evolution. I'm hopeful that if Yokohama started from a clean sheet they'd be able to make a better tyre than the AD08RS.

If you have a track use requirement without a lot of wet weather time I'd look at the Yokohama AO52, which happens to be the track fitment option on the last production Elises. It's very well regarded as a track tyre, but doesn't have a lot of tread depth and is quite expensive. It is available in 17/18" NSX sizes. Naturally, it won't be as comfortable as the PS4.

I imagine the handling balance between Cup 2s and PS4s could be a bit odd given the difference in the intended usage of those tyres - but of course finding the same tyre for front and rear tyre sizes on an NSX is quite difficult!

The reports you've read about the AD08 probably relate to the next evolution, the AD08RS. That thread on NSXCB is quite old now.

The new AD08RS is getting a very poor reception. I also have an Elise, for which the AD08 and then the AD08R were the ideal tyre for most users - there is a huge amount of noise on the Lotus forums complaining about how Yokohama has ruined their favourite tyre.

The rolling resistance of the AD08R was quite high, and EU regulations have a rolling target which progressively outlaws rolling resistance. The AD08R fell foul of that and could no longer be sold in the EU.

Yokohama had to do something to keep a tyre in the road/track section of the market, and what they did was take the same tyre design and just make it with harder compound rubber. That harder compound means it's just not the same all-purpose fast road and track day tyre that it's predecessor was.

There are more things that contribute to rolling resistance than just compound, though, and those haven't been changed with the evolution. I'm hopeful that if Yokohama started from a clean sheet they'd be able to make a better tyre than the AD08RS.

If you have a track use requirement without a lot of wet weather time I'd look at the Yokohama AO52, which happens to be the track fitment option on the last production Elises. It's very well regarded as a track tyre, but doesn't have a lot of tread depth and is quite expensive. It is available in 17/18" NSX sizes. Naturally, it won't be as comfortable as the PS4.

Thanks for getting things right on the AD08 evolution over time.
As you are a Lotus fan, I can tell you that I "borrowed" the Exige S Avon ZZR tire configuration with a 215/40*17 and 265/35*18 respectively for the front and rear.
These are are mounted on separate Volk Racing wheels for track days.
There are not in the Cup2 league in the dry and just plain dangerous in the wet when one can't get heat in the tires...

Hi,

Sorry to be an idiot, but I don't see where the Michelins are even offered in 215/40/17. I'd love a set to replace my aging Yokohama S-Drives (no longer available). The only tires that seem to be available in that size now are the track day specials (which have less tread than my current set and a 200 treadwear rating) and some off-brand stuff (Kumho anyone?), assuming wanting to match the rear 265/35/18 size. There are plenty of options in the 205/40/17 size, but I'd prefer the 215's if I could get them.

Rick

Hi,

Sorry to be an idiot, but I don't see where the Michelins are even offered in 215/40/17. I'd love a set to replace my aging Yokohama S-Drives (no longer available). The only tires that seem to be available in that size now are the track day specials (which have less tread than my current set and a 200 treadwear rating) and some off-brand stuff (Kumho anyone?), assuming wanting to match the rear 265/35/18 size. There are plenty of options in the 205/40/17 size, but I'd prefer the 215's if I could get them.

Rick

I believe this specific Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is only available in Europe.

https://www.national.co.uk/tyres-se...17&rating=Y~&loadindex=&pattern=pilot-sport-4

Hmm, not exactly the same tire but I got the Michelin PS4S on my Lexus GSF and it is phenomenal compared to the old PSS. Much less road noise and softer vibration, while being just as grippy.

Back