• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan Overnight Trip, September 8th-9th

Hi Everyone! We're planning on taking another roadtrip from the Chicagoland area up to the Traverse City area of Michigan over the weekend of September 8th-9th. A small group of us took this trip several years ago and really had a lot of fun! We'll plan on meeting at the Hinsdale Oasis on I-294 southbound around 7:30 a.m. and leave soon afterwards. The route isI-294 south to I-94 eastI-94 east to Benton Harbor/St. Joseph, MI where we join I-196 northI-196 to Holland,where we join U.S. 31 northU.S. 31 north to Manistee (3 miles north of Manistee) where we pick up MI 22MI 22 north to Frankfort, where we pick up MI 115 to Beulah/Benzonia, where we will be stayingThe entire area north and west of Traverse City (to include Beulah) is very scenic and the roads are a lot of fun! A rough itinerary would be that after we checked into our hotel, to rest up briefly and then make the short drive up to Traverse City to grab dinner and then a sunset drive up the Mission Peninsula. The next morning after breakfast we can explore the leelanau peninsula northwest of Traverse City. This includes Suttons Bay, Leland, and the picturesque Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, including the famous Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive. If you see the following post that Paul has assured me he will make you can see some of the photographs of the area! The pictures sell the trip better than I! After the drive we will have the option of taking a canoe/rafting trip down the Platte River nearly to Lake Michigan. Clear water, sandy bottom, a great time! Then it will be time to pack up the cars and head home. Expect to arrive in the Chicago area late Sunday evening. The hotels that I have found include the Crystal Lake Resort (primary) and Cold Creek Inn (backup). They are both small, independent no-frills hotels located outside of Traverse City. These were chosen in an attempt to help control the costs (hotels in Traverse City aren't cheap!) and because they have rooms available! Many of the Traverse City hotels have already filled up. I just made my reservation at the Crystal Lake Resort (Phone 231-882-7282) and suggest that anyone interested in this trip do the same. Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me either at [email protected] or via this thread or pm.

Last edited:
Sounds like fun, I"m checking to see if we can go. Do you mind if I post about this in the southeast michigan forum and see if anyone else is interested?

Sounds like fun, I"m checking to see if we can go. Do you mind if I post about this in the southeast michigan forum and see if anyone else is interested?

Please, feel free to post this to the forum and see if anyone else would like to go!

You guys realize that Crystal Lake Resort is in Beulah on Crystal Lake which is about 45 minutes from Traverse City. Is the plan to stay there?

You guys realize that Crystal Lake Resort is in Beulah on Crystal Lake which is about 45 minutes from Traverse City. Is the plan to stay there?

Yes. We'll be driving up to Traverse City but will spend a good portion of the trip on the Leelenau peninsula and in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore area. Traverse City would have been ideal but hotel rooms are difficult to find on short notice and tend to be expensive. Beulah is close to Sleeping Bear Dunes and the hotel has rooms that are a little less expensive than what you tend to find in Traverse City.

Laurie and I will be coming, I'll make reservations today. Beulah is a beautiful area and the drive around Crystal Lake is pretty nice. My grandparents had a cabin just off the lake and my dad lives about 15 minutes from there. The plan is to bring the NSX.

Laurie and I will be coming, I'll make reservations today. Beulah is a beautiful area and the drive around Crystal Lake is pretty nice. My grandparents had a cabin just off the lake and my dad lives about 15 minutes from there. The plan is to bring the NSX.
Great! I'll be in touch so you and I can decide where and when you'll be joining us.

Last edited:
Hotel is booked. I'll pm you next week about where to meet, probably somewhere around Holland.

Great trip and great time. thanks to Jeff for planning the trip, and thanks to Paul for the photos. Thanks to one of Michigan's finest for not giving me a ticket. He just wanted to see an NSX and get some pictures.

Laurie and I had a blast, thanks for setting this up, see you guys next trip.

Back