• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mike @ Autowave, Jim @ Option Import, Riegel Tuning and Dyno Time

I had Jim at Option Import install a big brake kit, AEM EMS and all the things needed for the high boost kit (injectors, water/meth injection, FPR, pulley, etc.) As usual Jim was excellent to deal with.

I decided rather than mess around with the tune it would make sense to fly Mike from Autowave up to work his magic on the car. I don't know of any reputable NSX tuners in town who have as much experience with these cars and the AEM system as Mike does. There is a Dynojet 248c in my garage that my buddy uses on his cars however Mike preferred tuning with a Dynopak or similar dyno. So I booked us in at Riegel Tuning, a local Porsche shop. The car was dropped off at Riegel with a base map that wouldn't take any load but allowed the car to be idled over to the dyno. For those who are unfamiliar with the Dynopak they differ from other dyno's in that you have to remove the rear wheels, put on hub adapters and then bolt them to the dyno. The installation time and uninstall time is more than on a roller dyno for certain.

I booked the dyno for 1:00 PM and arrived an hour late. Mike got to work and it was immediately obvious that he knows these cars inside and out and he knows his way around the Dynopak. He checked over everything, made some adjustments and started the tune. By 5 o'clock he was pretty much done.

As a favor to me Riegel held some guys back to remove the car from the dyno as Mike wanted to do some cool weather tuning and Friday evening look like it would fit the bill. Riegel also only charged me for the time I used and not the time that I was scheduled to come in. Mike also said they were very accommodating. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate the effort made by the guys at Riegel.

Friday night I took Mike to Secret Street to watch some of our local racing. We shot the BS for a while and then went for a bite to eat. Mike said it was good to see how the car performed at our temperatures as he didn't see this kind of variation in southern California.

The next morning he came out to my place to check on the cold start and make any adjustments that may have been needed.

I highly recommend that anyone looking to get their car tuned to get in touch with Mike. It will save you money in the long run and your car will run like it should.

I'm sure the question you all have is "So what did it do?" The car made 347 RWHP/248 LB-FT TQ at 6 psi. Mike said that is reasonable for our altitude. In California the same pulley makes 8 psi and will make around 370 RWHP.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I am running an older whipple CTSC and have headers, intake and exhaust mods. The altitude at Calgary is approx. 3740 ft. The altitude in Huntington Beach, Ca is approx 40 ft *lol*

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Erick. It was a joy going up to help you out with the car and the secret spot drags were awesome. I was thinking of planing a tuning tour up your way maybe during the Calgary Stampede:biggrin::biggrin: It was a pleasure hanging out with you hopefully we can do it in the near future some time.

If any one needs any tuning work I will be happy to help.

Just thought I would provide an update on the car since this post was made. I have put approximately 70,000 kms on the car since this thread was started and it still runs as good today as it did back then. I have a few regular maintenance things to take care of but I really can't complain about the reliability, driveability and stability of the Comptech kit and the tuning of Mike at Autowave.

Back