• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mismatch slick tires hardness

Does one of you run slick tires ? It seems that I am always lacking a bit of temperature at the front tires compared to the rear ones that are really at the right temperature. It is a bit better when outside and track temp is very high in a good summer day, but otherwise it is a bit annoying. I am in a vicious circle : low temperature --> hard to get grip --> hard to have benefit of the negative camber --> hard to get grip --> hard to heat the tire --> ... My idea is to put softer tires front than rear to be able to get this grip and heat the tires. Did one of you already did so ?

Does one of you run slick tires ? It seems that I am always lacking a bit of temperature at the front tires compared to the rear ones that are really at the right temperature. It is a bit better when outside and track temp is very high in a good summer day, but otherwise it is a bit annoying. I am in a vicious circle : low temperature --> hard to get grip --> hard to have benefit of the negative camber --> hard to get grip --> hard to heat the tire --> ... My idea is to put softer tires front than rear to be able to get this grip and heat the tires. Did one of you already did so ?
A couple of years ago, I ran slicks for track day meetings with the Swiss NSX sports club.
The tires were Yokohama A 005 in 17x610x210 and 18X650X240.
I never got to measure the temperatures but the car was well planted with no understeer.
The camber upfront was 2°30' and 2°10' for the rear.
Pressures around 2 kg/cm2.
Hope this helps?

You've got a few options: shock rates, spring rates, suspension geometry, weight distribution, and tire pressures to name a few. The easiest and least expensive way would be to experiment with tire pressures and monitor and adjust religiously. You can also vary the weight distribution of the car by adding weight to the front half or reducing weight at the rear.

Hope that helps.

Back