• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Missfire

I have a 95 that seems to develop a slight misfire once it gets good and warm....while cold/and getting to normal temp it runs like a clock. I've had the following done within 1000 miles ....tune-up / spark plugs/ cam belt /fuel filter/battery/water pump/ all fluids/ valve adjust/K&N air filter cleaned. Directed to Acura to get checked out as car was still "under warranty" since under 30K miles and coils were suspect. They had car for 5 days and checked out everything they could think of (of course got no list of what that included!). They changed plugs...but problem not solved. Took it to another Acura dealership (where car originally purchased). They found "spacer wedged under coil pack restricting contact" as the misfire cause. Car seemed to run fine for awhile (150 miles) but its back to acting up once warmed up. Wonder if anyone has an idea....I think it goes into lean mode maybe caused by an oxygen sensor or something in the computer. It just has this hesitation /misfire from a dead start. Once the car is cruising along it runs fine. Any ideas of what else to check ?

Move coilpack on misfiring cilinder to other cilinder (exchange coilpacks).
When misfire then occurs on other cylinder: coilpack defective.
Been there and done it just last week, exactly same problem: after some warming up, when putting load on the engine as in accellerating, misfire+ check engine code+ TCS lights:frown:

Last edited:
If the problem is worse as the engine gets warm then it could very well be the igniter.

If the problem is worse as the engine gets warm then it could very well be the igniter.

Been there too :mad:
However, when my igniter went, it gave several misfire codes at the same time, not just on 1 cil

Thanks for all the feedback. Oddly, I never get any codes. The first dealer that had car for a week did tell me he checked each coil ....think via resistance check but not sure. Not familiar with an igniter.....where is it located? Is there just one or six?

Igniter (1) is located on top of the intake man next to all the vacuumlines, square flat box mounted with 2 bolts and one 6 pin grey connector at one side, 8 pin grey connector at the other side.
There is no known manner of checking (measuring) it, nothing in the factory manual.
Only way to check if it is defective is to exchange with known good one (afaik)

I have a 95 that seems to develop a slight misfire once it gets good and warm....while cold/and getting to normal temp it runs like a clock. I've had the following done within 1000 miles ....tune-up / spark plugs/ cam belt /fuel filter/battery/water pump/ all fluids/ valve adjust/K&N air filter cleaned. Directed to Acura to get checked out as car was still "under warranty" since under 30K miles and coils were suspect. They had car for 5 days and checked out everything they could think of (of course got no list of what that included!). They changed plugs...but problem not solved. Took it to another Acura dealership (where car originally purchased). They found "spacer wedged under coil pack restricting contact" as the misfire cause. Car seemed to run fine for awhile (150 miles) but its back to acting up once warmed up. Wonder if anyone has an idea....I think it goes into lean mode maybe caused by an oxygen sensor or something in the computer. It just has this hesitation /misfire from a dead start. Once the car is cruising along it runs fine. Any ideas of what else to check ?

If you have a 1995 US model, if it was misfiring, you WOULD get a code. With that said, I recommend you disconnect both primary 02 sensors, you will get 2 code(s).

Use the car with the check light on for a while. If it all clears up, replace the 02 sensors;).

HTH,
LarryB

Ok know where the igniter is and will keep that on my replacement list. My car is a 95 USA made.....when I bought car I had AutoWave do a check out. One of their comments: "Misfire noticed. No code". Same comments from dealers....they acknowledge misfire but no evidenced code. Does that mean my computer or whatever registers the code is faulty?

I will remove the O2 sensors and see how it runs. I assume without these sensor inputs the car will use other inputs to adjust the fuel mixture ?

I will remove the O2 sensors and see how it runs. I assume without these sensor inputs the car will use other inputs to adjust the fuel mixture ?

Yes the system will run on a predetermined fuel map without fine adjustment. Typically I find if all is well in "open loop" mode, the 02 sensors are the issue.

HTH,
LarryB

I have the same issues which was only fully resolved late last year.

Things to look at:

1. Ignition coil. (replaced new and put on new coil cover gaskets)
2. Ignitor. (replaced)
3. Oxygen sensors. (replaced)
4. Blocked fuel injector. (cleaned and inspected for performance)

Those had been address and I'm no longer having missfire. And get a qualified mechanics to work on the car. I have had numbers of mechanics who had monkey around the car and spent few thousands to solved these issue and the main problem was the clogged injectors.

I have the same issues which was only fully resolved late last year.

Things to look at:

1. Ignition coil. (replaced new and put on new coil cover gaskets)
2. Ignitor. (replaced)
3. Oxygen sensors. (replaced)
4. Blocked fuel injector. (cleaned and inspected for performance)

Those had been address and I'm no longer having missfire. And get a qualified mechanics to work on the car. I have had numbers of mechanics who had monkey around the car and spent few thousands to solved these issue and the main problem was the clogged injectors.

Thanks for the suggestions...... finding qualified mechanics is tough.

The 1995 model year has weak igniter coil springs which result in poor contact with the spark plug. It also has the OBDII problem where sometimes coil misfires are not recorded. There is a TSB on this issue and Honda has an agreement with the EPA to fix the coils.

IOW, get your plugs and coil packs changed.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/tsb/98-031.htm

I took the car to Acura armed with this TSB....upon advice of my regular mechanic who also thought the coil packs were suspect and expected I would get free replacement. As mentioned in my first post had no luck with first dealer and second one found the fault as noted. The TSB stipulates repeatedly the check / replacement requires the car to be max 14 years from
purchase and in the mileage range of 75k mi to 150k miles. Don't understand the requirement to have at least 75k mi ......my car still under 30 K mi so my elgibility no-go. In any case, they claimed all coil packs were checked....and found OK. Appears I'm on my own to replace .....and thats fine if they are the culprit. Just wondering how they are affected by heat.....since I've mentioned the misfire /hesitation only begins after full warmup. Do the new coil packs have different springs?

Appreciate the comments .....

MY '95 had weak springs in the coil packs , there is a warranty part# for them , cheap , like $200ish for the whole set IIRC.

MY '95 had weak springs in the coil packs , there is a warranty part# for them , cheap , like $200ish for the whole set IIRC.

Are you saying that replacement springs can be purchased and replaced in the coil packs? Do you have the warranty part number? What does IIRC stand for?

Thanks Larry.....hope to give a try this weekend.

Finally got the primary sensors disconnected and car runs same or maybe the hesitation/misfire is even more worse. So sensors OK. What about the two secondary ones? Should I do the same with those?

You can buy the whole set of coil packs and spark plugs for $205 from Lynnwood acura. I think your problem is the igniter.

I am currently fighting this problem as well. I have replaced the ignitor but the miss fire is still there. All of my coils messured out at 0.0 ohms which is out of spec. I thought it was weird for all six coils to go bad at the same time... I'll check them out with a different multi meter before ordering new ones.

After checking the O2 sensors and finding them OK I reset the clock and proceeded to do some driving. Appears the missfire is gone.....car runs great ! Maybe the ECU just needed some self-adjustment. Appreciate all the feedback!

After checking the O2 sensors and finding them OK I reset the clock and proceeded to do some driving. Appears the missfire is gone.....car runs great ! Maybe the ECU just needed some self-adjustment. Appreciate all the feedback!

Drive the car for a week or so until the ECU learn cycle is complete. Then see if the problem comes back. Usually when you reset the ECU, it uses pre-programmed fuel/air sensor mappings until the cycle is complete. Let us know how if its still running good a couple of weeks from now.

Drive the car for a week or so until the ECU learn cycle is complete. Then see if the problem comes back. Usually when you reset the ECU, it uses pre-programmed fuel/air sensor mappings until the cycle is complete. Let us know how if its still running good a couple of weeks from now.

Larry B. mentions elsewhere in thread that when the primary O2 sensors were removed the ECU would use pre-programmed fuel/air sensors.....and during the removal as mentioned the car still had the missfire at times. When I reset the ECU I followed instructions found elsewhere that directed a 15 minute warmup, fuse removal, wait period, fuse install, and run at idle for at least 15 minutes. I followed with a 30 minute drive and all was well. I'm just mentioning this because there is a lot of discussion/info on the ECU and its behavior. I will report back good or bad once I have more running time.....have fingers crossed.

Back