• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

mobile 1 oil

Hi again. are you guys sure i can use mobile 1 oil for my car. I mean is this the same mobile 1 that you can buy at any auto parts store or your talking about some mobile 1. Its so cheap at a local napa store here. thanks mustafa. 1w30 wieght rite?

Yes, you can use Mobil 1. Yes, it's the same stuff you can get at Wal-Mart for $3.79 or most auto parts stores for $4.50-5.00. Use 10W30.

I bet if you took a survey of NSX owners, you'd find more people using Mobil 1 in their NSX than all other kinds of oil combined.

I use Mobil 1. But only 'cause Ken told me to
smile.gif

-Bob

Consumer reports did a study a few years back to address not only the oil change issue but also to test if there were differences between oil brands.
They used new New Yok City cabs and took there engines apart at different intervals and observed their wear patterns under scanning electron microscopes. Based on this study, they found that most brands were even, synthetics did no better, and that 7500 miles was the maximum mileage before wear patterns appeared...

------------------
no-thanks-i'll-park-it-myself

Uh, did you just compare New York city cabs with our NSX High Pefromance engines? :p
As with tires, why buy a High Peformance car only to skimp on the the little things. $25,000 engine, vs $3-$5 oil. I'll take the extra insurance.

Originally posted by painlus:
Consumer reports did a study a few years back to address not only the oil change issue but also to test if there were differences between oil brands.
They used new New Yok City cabs and took there engines apart at different intervals and observed their wear patterns under scanning electron microscopes. Based on this study, they found that most brands were even, synthetics did no better, and that 7500 miles was the maximum mileage before wear patterns appeared...

They used new New Yok City cabs and took there engines apart at different intervals and observed their wear patterns under scanning electron microscopes. Based on this study, they found that most brands were even, synthetics did no better

That's not exactly what it says. Re-read the article. It says that their tests confirmed that synthetic oil has better flow properties when cold. In their recommendations, it says that this is a reason why some might prefer to choose synthetic over conventional oil.

Originally posted by 19inchNSX:
Uh, did you just compare New York city cabs with our NSX High Pefromance engines? :p
As with tires, why buy a High Peformance car only to skimp on the the little things. $25,000 engine, vs $3-$5 oil. I'll take the extra insurance.

Hey Relax. I'm just sharing some info on a study on oils an if any of you guys are interested, you can read the article. Mobile 1 may be a great oil. Are there any INDEPENDANT SCIENTIFIC STUDIES on it to prove it's value? I would research it before I'd put it in my $25,000 motor.

------------------
no-thanks-i'll-park-it-myself

[This message has been edited by painlus (edited 15 December 2001).]

Gee... Maybe I'd better stop putting Shell (or Amoco or Exxon) brand gasoline into my car until I see some independent research studies that say it's okay...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, you can read some of the reasons why INDEPENDENT
wink.gif
car manufacturers and racers use Mobil 1, and what some INDEPENDENT
wink.gif
magazines have to say, on Mobil 1's website at http://www.mobil1.com/experts/index.jsp

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 15 December 2001).]

Originally posted by painlus:
Are there any INDEPENDANT SCIENTIFIC STUDIES on it to prove it's value? I would research it before I'd put it in my $25,000 motor.

Well I really thought that, in this day and age, the benefits of synthetic motor oil were so well known as to make this sort of discussion pointless but maybe not. (vague feeling that I'm feeding trolls but here goes)
Do you really suppose that the same car companies who worry about spending an extra nickel per car to improve anything are going to spend the money on synthetic oils if there is no benefit to them? Porsche, Aston Martin, Corvette, Mercedes Benz, etc., all throwing money away on Mobil One when dino squeezings would do just as well? Even if you thought that Mobil were giving the stuff to them why would the car companies bother if it wasn't superior?
If you really want to dig into this there is all kinds of information out there on independent tests. Take a look on Google...

PS: It's Mobil 1 not Mobile!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

I recently switched from Castrol dyno oil to Mobil 1 in my '91. I may be imagining this, but I would swear when starting my car cold the oil pressure idiot light goes off much quicker with the synthetic oil.

With the Castrol the car would turn over and start, then a second later the light would go out. Now with the Mobil 1 it seems like the light goes out while the engine is still cranking over!

Hi all-first time here to the forum. Just had to chime in. Before using Mobil 1 you must visit spagthorpe.com and read the maintenance bulletins. Some very stong words about this stuff, at least how it works in motorcycles.

I've been using strictly Mobil 1 and Pennzoil synthetic motor oil in my NSX for the past eleven years and ~50 track events. I've had no engine problems. Simply the best protection I can get for my $25,000 engine.

Originally posted by T Bolen:
Hi all-first time here to the forum. Just had to chime in. Before using Mobil 1 you must visit spagthorpe.com and read the maintenance bulletins. Some very stong words about this stuff, at least how it works in motorcycles.

Ummm, errrr, you do know that's a joke, right? Although I wouldn't be surprised if it does leak out of British stuff - the seal has yet to be devised that can keep oil from leaking from British motors. Hold the angry letters, that's a joke too...

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

read the maintenance bulletins. Some very stong words

Obviously the entire article is intended to be humorous.

I think Mustafa's original question here was seeking serious advice, though.

I recently discovered that Mobil 1 comes in a 0W30 version that is considered "extreme service", supposedly even better for high performance applications. Has anyone used this in their NSX? Is that viscosity safe/compatible with what Acura recommends for the NSX-10w30? I use Mobil 1 10w30 now, but would be willing to use the 0w30 if it were safe and offered some benefits, even if it costs more. Every little bit helps. I also started another thread about Royal Purple Oil, but noone has yet commented/replied. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I would stick with Acura's viscosity recommendations. If you're going to drive your NSX in winter temperatures, you should use 5W30 instead of 10W30. (The operating temperature range of each of these viscosities is shown in the owners manual.) 0W30 is not recommended.

After 65,000 miles on 10W30 Quaker in my 1993, I switched to Mobil 1 10W30. I hit the rev limiter in first gear, and a friend behind me said there was a puff of "blue smoke". I don't know if it always did this or if better lubricating properties allows seepage past the rings. I haven't leaked or smoked any noticeable loss of oil and I am ready to change at 68,000 soon. Any ideas???

Well i think Mobile 1 is a great oil i use it and no complains. Works great, but i think Redline is always the best.

Back