• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mods for 2017+

What are the good mods to get right away?

I was thinking SoS DB4 and charge pipes...but what else?

I'd drive it as is for 6 months before modding. The car is exceptionally fast. The JB4 box and downpipes are the popular mods. I believe there is also a really nice titanium exhaust option- I'm hoping Honda makes one as part of a Type-S trim like Nissan did for the GT-R.

I would add the downpipes before adding the piggyback unit. As stated the car most likely exceeds most of us in necessary driving skills. The spacers look good on the car. If you want straight line fast buy a Tesla Plaid. Nothing faster.

I would add the downpipes before adding the piggyback unit. As stated the car most likely exceeds most of us in necessary driving skills. The spacers look good on the car. If you want straight line fast buy a Tesla Plaid. Nothing faster.

Thank you, what size spacers?

On the performance side I did the SOS install of the JB4, downpipes, and intercoolers. Also, added an iLift. On the aesthetics I did a Euroboutique steering wheel, paddle shifters, carbon nose beak, SOS rear spoiler, debadged the front, carbon emblem on the rear, wheel spacers. Nothing too radical anywhere.

I have to laugh at all you guys (in a good way) with your "nothing too radical"! I have kept mine stock, and proudly so.

I have to laugh at all you guys (in a good way) with your "nothing too radical"! I have kept mine stock, and proudly so.

I'd be interested in seeing a psychograph of the guys who fall into both camps: the purists and the tinkerers.

I actually have to keep consciously will myself not to become a purist. I have enough OCD where I would probably be content treating a car as a static work of art that into my dotage should be polished with cotton diapers and nano-paste. All the screwhead slots would need to be oriented identically toward true North and anyone approaching the car would need to wear white gloves and flashes on their cameras would need to be disabled to avoid fading the paint. I owned a couple of cars in this mode, and while I guess it was nice staring at them and driving them 50 miles a month, I don't remember any moments of raw excitement or adrenaline-fueled joy. I ultimately sold them, and the next guy benefitted from my lack of active fun.

So, I tried the tinkerer route and that proved a lot more fun. There's a conceit that the factory guys always put the best parts in a car, and the final product is a "balanced" package that can never be improved. But, that's not always the case. Take the modern NSX for example. The OEM intercoolers are nice units, but at high ambient temperatures and high-speed runs they don't shed enough heat to maintain high horsepower run after run. Not a problem, you say? Maybe where you live it's not, but in Florida where I live I'd like to actually use all that horsepower I paid good money for. So, I got SOS intercoolers; the ones that are expensive ($4,000) and operate at Formula 1 performance levels. Is that an expensive fix for a problem most people don't care about? Yes, it is. Does it bring me joy to know that I've expanded the performance envelope of the car while staying true to its original design spirit? Yes, it does.

Looking back on the pleasurable moments with a supercar, it's almost always about how it feels at full throttle or sticking like magic to a graceful curve in the road. It's less so about how it looked under optimum lighting sitting in my garage, no faster than at that point than my riding lawnmower.

I’m guessing you write for a living, as your comments make for a great read. When I was young (20s) I drove like one could never die. I am not sure how I made it into adulthood. Now I am at a point in my life where visual joys are almost up there with visceral. I do still love the excitement of instant acceleration and the negative Gs of hitting the brakes really hard. Having said that my car is an absolute joy to look at. I figuratively get off just detailing it.

Attachments

• NSX23.jpg
    NSX23.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I’m guessing you write for a living, as your comments make for a great read. When I was young (20s) I drove like one could never die. I am not sure how I made it into adulthood. Now I am at a point in my life where visual joys are almost up there with visceral. I do still love the excitement of instant acceleration and the negative Gs of hitting the brakes really hard. Having said that my car is an absolute joy to look at. I figuratively get off just detailing it.

Manny, I have to say I really like the yellow accents! Kind of a NC1 homage to the [MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] Bumblebee!

i’m guessing you write for a living, as your comments make for a great read. When i was young (20s) i drove like one could never die. I am not sure how i made it into adulthood. Now i am at a point in my life where visual joys are almost up there with visceral. I do still love the excitement of instant acceleration and the negative gs of hitting the brakes really hard. Having said that my car is an absolute joy to look at. I figuratively get off just detailing it.

beautiful

I’ve had my 2019 for 3 months and I say drive it for a bit before you do anything. I want down pipes and a tune but the car is already so fast I’m changing my mind every day I drive it more to just leaving it stock.

As for mods, I hear what you are saying. There is an owner here who regularly takes his car to the drag strip. He has the JB4 with everything else stock. His car is really fast. And the JB4 unit is so much easier to remove then the downpipes. There is some discussion that adding downpipes would worsen his times. The reason given is that the OEM cats result in more back pressure that increases torque. He mentions that SOS verified this. The downpipes increase the throughput resulting in more horsepower at high rpm’s. So that is interesting. Also note, that the downpipes increase the sound of the exhaust. I like that part. Also keep in mind soon the NSX will need to be smogged. If it does not pass with the downpipes then there will be a lot of used downpipes for sale. I also note from reading through some of the Facebook Second Gen Group posts that many people sold their OEM downpipes for around $1500. If they have to buy new ones they will be paying three times that much to get them. So make sure you keep all your stock parts should you mod your car.

Last edited:
Back