• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More new Google tools

One is a weather tool... Type in "weather" then your zip code(or whatever zipcode you want to look into...). Like this: weather 55432.

The other is a stock tool... Type in the desired ticker symbol, then search... Like this: goog
The first result will be the going price, and the following will be news, etc...

I recall hearing something about text messaging some Google-affiliated number from you phone with a zip code and business name (i.e. "92131 Costco"), and you can get a reply back with the nearest address. Has anyone else heard this? If so, any details?

-Randy

FuryNSX said:
I recall hearing something about text messaging some Google-affiliated number from you phone with a zip code and business name (i.e. "92131 Costco"), and you can get a reply back with the nearest address. Has anyone else heard this? If so, any details?

-Randy
Nevermind. I used Google to find the page. :rolleyes:

I use the google SMS feature.. A LOT.. I like to use it when I'm on the road like a white page directory to do a lot of business while I'm on the road thinking about all those errands I forgot to do.. :rolleyes:

the weather feature is my favorite by far though... better than watching the weather channel if you ask me..

x

Elite said:
One is a weather tool... Type in "weather" then your zip code(or whatever zipcode you want to look into...). Like this: weather 55432.

The other is a stock tool... Type in the desired ticker symbol, then search... Like this: goog
The first result will be the going price, and the following will be news, etc...

You must know someone there. :tongue:

Dave Hardy said:
maps.google.com - best internet mapping service yet.
Google maps has a nice Java-based interface.

But their database for my neighborhood is a joke.
Google thinks all kinds of faint trails visible on aerial photos
are roads (and somehow they have been assigned names).
Various suggested routes from my address take you on dirt
paths that you would have trouble driving an NSX on.

And...! Entering an address on Main St. in my town will
bring up a map of Main St. in Darwin, about 40 miles away.

Not-so-simple unit conversions

I knew Google has a calculator feature that could also handle some basic unit conversions. However, after looking at this thread, I wanted to see if it could convert MPG to L/100km (this is a reciprocal conversion - you can’t get the answer by simply multiplying by some conversion factor).

I typed "29 mpg in L/100km" and it worked!

Also, in case you have not seen it yet, the satellite view on Google Maps is very nice (example).

Nice satellite view feature. Not as detailed as the local universitie's, but very easy to use. :cool:

VBNSX said:
if you try to zoom too close.. it deletes the map.. that's crazy..
This is simply a limitation of the image resolution they have on file - not necessarily because someone is trying to hide something sensitive. For a variety of reasons, not all areas are capatured at the same resolution.

I linked to a local track above. It turns out the other local track, MSR falls right on the boundary. Zoom in too much and you will see the same "We don’t have imagery at this zoom level" message.

Try zooming in on rural areas around you and you will see the same.

Ojas said:
This is simply a limitation of the image resolution they have on file - not necessarily because someone is trying to hide something sensitive. For a variety of reasons, not all areas are capatured at the same resolution.

I linked to a local track above. It turn out the other local track, MSR falls right on the boundary. Zoom in too much and you will see the same "We don’t have imagery at this zoom level" message.

Try zooming in on rural areas around you and you will see the same.

Dang.. my idealism of conspiracy theory thwarted!
:tongue:

On a lighter note.. I just found VIR... :biggrin:
x

Tom239 (i.e. said:
But their database for my neighborhood is a joke.
Google thinks all kinds of faint trails visible on aerial photos
are roads (and somehow they have been assigned names).
And-- Honda's private track in the California desert is shown by Google maps as if it were any other roadway. See http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=35.2714,-117.9624&spn=0.046143,0.050228&hl=en

Note that where the track now is, Google's roadmap also includes obsolete roads/paths (in place before the track was built).

Back