• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Most reliable info on the next NSX to date (still pretty sparse though!)

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
This e-mail is from Hirofumi Tomiyoshi from the NSX Club of Japan. I have met him and he is a great guy. He is the last person in the world to make something up about the NSX. He has done lots to make it possible for US owners to attend the NSX Fiesta in Japan, and he has also used his contacts at Honda to find the answers to some esoteric technical questions I have asked him about the NSX more than once in the past. The Mr. Uehara referred to in this e-mail is the head of the NSX project at Honda Japan.

Hello friends,

I talked with Mr. Uehara last night.
He said "We plan to exhibit next model at Tokyo Motor Show." The size of wheels are 17 inches in front and rear, but rear is wider than front. Headlight is fixed.

Tokyo Motor Show will be held on Oct.27-Nov.7 at Makuhari-Messe. English site is here, http://www.motorshow.or.jp/show2001/ENGLISH/index.html

No real surprises here. I think everyone knew the flip-up headlights were going away and that for aesthetic reasons the wheels would probably be bigger. So the only question is - will this be a refresh of the current NSX slated for production next year, or is this a preview of the 2nd generation car? I've e-mailed him about that, but I guess either way we will know for certain in about 3 months.

So the only question is - will this be a refresh of the current NSX slated for production next year, or is this a preview of the 2nd generation car?

It might be a refresh - at least, that's what is indicated by the new Road & Track, as reported by Jimbo here.

Hey Lud,
I will my friend in Japan this Dec. He has some friends over in Japan who are into cars too(NSX). Hopefully I will get a change to visit some dealers or some upcomming auto shows to inquire more about the new NSX. I will take a dig. camera with me so I will be able to post those pics. on the forum.
JACK

Hirofumi's reply: It is only a refresh (minor updates to the existing NSX).

I think that's what most of us expected, but there is so much speculation out there I make a concerted effort not to report anything I do not know to be correct.

weeks ago, I did state the refreshed NSX to be shown in Tokyo this fall. I guess this is now confirmed !! As to the styling, anyone familiar with Honda would say the new Type R Integra would be the closest. As to V8, I would say that is still years away due to domestic power limitations. The 2001 NSX would be avaliable in 2002 as 02 model.
Will try to be at the NSX fiesta and the show this fall.

I think there's a number of example cars coming out of Japan that show the domestic power limitation is no longer an issue.

I think Honda decides to use a V8 in their large cars (RL) then it's a good bet it will likely find its way into the next NSX.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I guess I should have provided an example...

The new Infinity Q45 has a 4.5-liter V8 engine that delivers 340 hp and 333 ft-lbs of torque. Considering that this engine is tuned and optimized for a luxury sedan, I think it's reasonable to assume that a Honda 4.5L i-VTEC engine tuned for a sports car could easily see horsepower close to 400 HP.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

This is in line with what I have been hearing through the grapevine. From what I've heard, the updated NSX should go on sale in Japan in December, with a completely new NSX being released two years later. It's hard to describe the headlight design in English. The Japanese descriptions that I have heard imply the fixed headlights will be arranged as two bubbles/circles of slightly different size linked together, in line with some of the spy shots. In addition to the tail/spoiler redesign, I have heard that the muffler will be changed, and that air will be somehow routed through/under the trunk lid, as is done in some of the racing NSXes. I'm not sure how much of this to believe, but the source of this information is Honda internal, and he also leaked the S2000 model changes as well, which Honda has since confirmed.

Back