• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Billy Johnson and Moto IQ's: Project NSX

Follow the build of FX Motorsports Development and Moto IQ's "Project NSX" at www.MotoIQ.com

MotoIQ-FXMDlogo.png

Our project car is starting life as a humble used 1992 Grand Prix White NSX with 130,000 miles on the clock. Our plans are to upgrade the suspension to world class standards with modern state of the art dampers. We plan to give the anemic for modern times V6 a lift with a fortified bottom end and eventual turbocharging to meet our goal of about 500 whp with excellent driveabilty. Modern brakes and sticky rubber are also in the long term plans for Project NSX. Stay tuned and make sure to catch all of the articles!

Project NSX Part 1: Building the Bulletproof Transaxle:
(2-page)

585298729_CQXCN-M.jpg

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...t-One-Building-the-Bulletproof-Transaxle.aspx

In the article

• The benefits of WPC Treatment to synchros, balk rings, hub sliders, and needle bearings.
  • The benefits of WPC Treatment to transmission gears and ring & Pinion gears.
  • The benefits of deburring gears
  • US gear set vs. JDM "Short" gear set
  • Holding capacity of 6spd vs. 5spd
  • And much more...

Re: Project NSX: FX Motorsports Development and Moto IQ

We feel that some of the Acura NSX’s weak areas lie in the engine, brakes and suspension and we will be modernizing and upgrading these systems as our project progresses.

So I think what you are saying here, is that it doesn't seem to accelerate, brake, or turn. So anotherwards, everything. :biggrin:

But wait... it has a great chassis... and as long as you have a solid foundation... you can build anything...

Ok, now is it just me or does anyone else here see a parallel between the Acura NSX and the movie the money pit with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long? :confused:

So I think what you are saying here, is that it doesn't seem to accelerate, brake, or turn. So anotherwards, everything. :biggrin:

But wait... it has a great chassis... and as long as you have a solid foundation... you can build anything...

Ok, now is it just me or does anyone else here see a parallel between the Acura NSX and the movie the money pit with Tom Hanks and Shelley Long? :confused:
Haha, it's a "Project Car", you have to replace things. Yes, simply viewed that way it would appear as though the article says the NSX dosn't do anything well, but it dosn't need to be explained on this forum ;)

We all know the NSX is a great platform and foundation to make a world-class performer with the right modifications. :smile:

billy,

great stuff as normal. Hope all is well and look forward to seeing your car again. tom

Hey Billy. Let me know if I can help you with anything. I think I'm the one who is the most familiar with YOUR car, :tongue:as far as working on it goes.

Last edited:

MotoIQ-FXMDlogo.png

Project NSX Part 2: Tuning a Limited Slip Differential:
(4-page)

ProjectNSXPart2pic.jpg

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...art-2-Tuning-a-Limited-Slip-Differential.aspx

In the article

• How a differential works
  • How a limited slip differential (LSD) works
  • How a Salisbury/Clutch-type LSD work mechanically
  • The components of the LSD and how changing them affects the handling of a car
  • How to choose what LSD is right for you (1, 1.5, or 2-way LSD)
  • How to tune the different aspects of the LSD for the handling characteristics you are looking for
  • And much more...

Check out the next installment of FXMD's "Project NSX" only at MotoIQ.com -Enjoy!

MotoIQ-FXMDlogo.png

Project NSX Part 3: Building a Race-Proven C32 Engine:
(5-page)

ProjectNSXPart3-BuildingaRaceProven.jpg

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...Part-3-Building-a-Race-Proven-C32-Engine.aspx

In the article

• What it takes to build a track reliable turbocharged engine
  • Darton MID Sleeves tech details and benefits
  • WPC treating the Cylinder walls -and its benefits
  • Billet Main Caps and its benefits
  • FXMD's Billet Crank with Chevy Rod Journals (shot-peened and WPC treated)
  • FXMD's race motor internals (Billet Crank, Forged CP Pistons and Forged BC Rods)
  • C32 Head Work (Titanium Valve Springs and Retainers)
  • And much more...

Billy

I just these forums specifically for this thread. The article on the WPC process has me geeking out, I'm surprised more people don't do this. It has very few disadvantages. My questions are: how does wpc change plastic vs elastic deformation of a material?

Will this increase the strength while decreasing the elasticity of the material?

What are some of the disadvantages other than the ones listed in that article?

Also reading the engine build section, why shot peen over wpc on the crank?

I just these forums specifically for this thread. The article on the WPC process has me geeking out, I'm surprised more people don't do this. It has very few disadvantages. My questions are: how does wpc change plastic vs elastic deformation of a material?

Will this increase the strength while decreasing the elasticity of the material?

What are some of the disadvantages other than the ones listed in that article?
Those are great questions to post in the MotoIQ article itself! Sign up and ask away! :)

Also reading the engine build section, why shot peen over wpc on the crank?
Shot peening affects the metal deeper than WPC and is often used BEFORE WPC treatment. Our race cranks were WPC treated.

Billy

Do you do that on all parts or just the crank?

Carlos
We WPC treat the:

Crank
Rods
Pistons & Wristpins
Sleeves
Rod & Main Bearings
Ring & Pinion Gear
Transmission Gears
Synchros
Hub-sliders
Needle bearings
Ball bearings
and more...

We WPC treat the:

Crank
Rods
Pistons & Wristpins
Sleeves
Rod & Main Bearings
Ring & Pinion Gear
Transmission Gears
Synchros
Hub-sliders
Needle bearings
Ball bearings
and more...

Jeeze, what can't you treat is the question I should be asking lol.

ProjectNSXPart3-BuildingaRaceProven.jpg

Is there any holes in the crankshaft that needs to be plugged? I bought a 3.2L motor package from FXMD and I am having a big headache with very low oil pressure. Your reply will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Old thread bump bc I was doing some engine build research, is there an article like this out there for the 3.0L? It must be similar but IIRC the cylinder walls were thicker and better for turbo than the 3.2, there may be critical differences I don't know about yet.

Is there any holes in the crankshaft that needs to be plugged? I bought a 3.2L motor package from FXMD and I am having a big headache with very low oil pressure. Your reply will be much appreciated.
Have you emailed FXMDKen@gmail for support?

Old thread bump bc I was doing some engine build research, is there an article like this out there for the 3.0L? It must be similar but IIRC the cylinder walls were thicker and better for turbo than the 3.2, there may be critical differences I don't know about yet.
This was a 3L installed with Carton sleeves that are 93mm -to make it a 3.2L. Stock for stock the the 3.0&3.2 are about the same but some say you can make more power with the 3.0L.

Project NSX is back! Check out

PART 4: We track test KW Suspension, Volk Wheels and Nitto Tires in Pursuit of a Track Record (4-page)

Project%20NSX%20Cover%20Side%20Title-L.jpg

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...Nitto-Tires-in-Pursuit-of-a-Track-Record.aspx

In the article

-KW V3 Suspension Install
-A view of the OEM Suspension
-STMPO Front Chasssis Brace and Aluminum Rear Bumper
-Volk CE28 Wheels (17/18)
-Nitto NT05 (235/275)
-In-car video from Buttonwillow setting a Street-Tire Record
And much more...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Car looks awesome Billy and nice article!

Is the plan for this car to be a dual purpose street/track car or is eventually going to be track-only?
COMFORTABLE street car that I can track reliably and quickly. Basically my version of a cross between a Porsche GT3 and a GT2.

I don't want 1,000lb+ springs and a rough riding "racecar for the street". I want to make this perfectly daily driveable and wicked fast on track -which is even harder.

COMFORTABLE street car that I can track reliably and quickly. Basically my version of a cross between a Porsche GT3 and a GT2.

I don't want 1,000lb+ springs and a rough riding "racecar for the street". I want to make this perfectly daily driveable and wicked fast on track -which is even harder.

Sounds like I have the exact same goals for my NSX. The RX-7 is the track car that can be driven (barely) on the street...the NSX is the street car that can be driven (hard) at the track. :)

Check out the newest installment of Project NSX!

PART 5: Where we dyno test a set of headers and a ported intake manifold (and explain how VVIS works) (4-page)

0%20Cover%20Part%205%20noeas-L.jpg

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...est-A-Ported-Intake-Manifold-and-Headers.aspx

In the article

-C30A vs. C32B differences
-Explanation of VVIS with diagrams
-How to modify and gut the VVIS and a dyno chart with the differences
-NA1 vs. NA2 exhaust differences
-Dyno of the above modifications
-Dyno comparison of the above to a stock E46 M3 and E9X M3
-Dyno comparison of the above to other project cars on MotoIQ
And much more...

Enjoy!

^
Wow great read. Not sure how I missed this but glad to have clicked on the link.

So all of this is with the stock injectors and no special tuning? Curious what could've have been done with the Prospeed mod.

Still very cool to see the development and makes me want to get a set of V3s!

Back