• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MotorTrend compares the 2022 Type S NSX to the 2022 Porsche Carrera GTS

To say the least, MotorTrend is not a fan of the Acura NSX whether the Type S or any of the NC1s. They pretty much shit all over the Type S. I did note that they were careless in suggesting that the base price of the Type S was the as tested price when comparing it to other Porsches. It was also apparent that the driver of the NSX did not know how to drive the car vs the Porsche. For what that is worth. I don't hate Porsche, I just don't like them that much.

2022 Acura NSX Type S vs. 2022 Porsche 911 GTS Comparison Test: Who Knew? (motortrend.com)

Thanks for sharing Manny

I think the guy was right at the start noting this is an odd pair to do a comparison for.

He does have some axe to grind, oh well.

He makes good points on why does the Type S exist and how did they come up with the 350 number. My current distillation is Honda had sunk costs for the bumpers, like over a $million and there was probably some internal calculation on how many to sell to recoup the costs for the full set of upgrades to the car.

I honestly feel Honda put more value per dollar into the Type S. My 2017 stickered in the low $170s with CF brakes and no CF packages or parts. $185K with the CF brakes and all the interior and exterior CF stuff and the performance upgrades on the Type S is a nice deal.

The 911 and Porsche overall has totally hit it's stride, they have great numbers of customers and amazing loyalty. You live in CA and the number of tuners and maintenance shops out there is crazy and they wouldn't exist if the market wasn't sufficient.

Yes I agree that Porsche is doing the right things to keep their cars in the limelight. The 911s in general have great acceleration and represent some of the fastest cars out there. I lusted over the 911 Turbo S and imagined getting one before getting the NC1. I choose the NC1 not because of its performance over the 911 so much as it was a hybrid. We made a commitment to support the electrification of cars going back to the early 2000s. When we moved back to Santa Barbara, I sold my 2001 NSX and thought that was it. I got caught up with the hybridization of the NSX and am happy i did.

As for the Germans, they have done a great job slowly moving the engine forward while maintaining excellent traction in the rear. They went from a Widow maker to a very drivable car utilizing software to help control the car. They have been very successful.

After reading and being familiar with performance driving and weight....500lbs is a significant difference and stepping in one then the other brings that to the fore...As for brakes who knows how many miles the NC1 had I'm assuming its a much driven press car...

After reading and being familiar with performance driving and weight....500lbs is a significant difference and stepping in one then the other brings that to the fore...As for brakes who knows how many miles the NC1 had I'm assuming its a much driven press car...

Sadly, the NSX is a tad portly. You can feel it at times.

MT is weird. they partner with Acura on things (probably paid), but shread them in reviews and Acura still comes back for more.

The comments about the brakes were surprising, but heavy car + physics + (presumably) beat up press car.

If the NSX had a true 600hp or even 573, I think the results would be different.

Porsche has been perfecting their car for a billion years, so I would expect it to be dang near flawless.

BUT short of the GT wing, they all look the same.

Ok, I will grant that the NC1 and/or the Type S NSX is heavy at 3900 pounds and it is not inexpensive at around $200k. If you are that concerned buy a Porsche 918 at $1,500k and save 200 pounds and still get 22 mpg.

Acura/Honda deliberately built a Hybrid Supercar that stands tall among its peers. Given its limited number, how long it has been available (late 2016) there is nothing that comes close that is comparable in performance that represents a transitional ICE to Hybrid supercar at this price point.

Yet people ignore what the car is and try to compare it to totally different technology. I find that stupid for lack of a better term. If you don’t like the fact it is a complex Hybrid then you should not buy it or own one. People seem to want the NC1 to be something it was never meant to be.

I always hear how poorly the NC1 sold. There are only 3000 plus cars. Well, how many Porsche 918s are out there? What about Ferrari hybrids? There is a reason for so few. Why do you think that is the case?

Last edited:
The truth be known, I bet there are a lot of NC1 owners and soon to be Type S NSX owners who given the choice would prefer the car not be a hybrid. I bet if we took a poll, that a large number would say that they bought the car in spite of it being a hybrid rather then because it was a hybrid. I can’t tell you how many from the Facebook group think hybrid technology is a waste. They would have preferred the car came without that capability and resulting complexity. That is one of the major reasons why the car did not sell in larger numbers. Most car enthusiasts want ICE as their motive force and really don’t care about saving the planet. I am willing to bet that I am one of the few here that purchased because it was a hybrid. Tell me I am full of it.

Last edited:
Is it possible to make a poll by asking current and prospective NC1 and Type S NSX owners the following questions?

I purchased the NC1 and/or the Type S NSX because it is a Hybrid Supercar
I purchased the NC1 and/or the Type S NSX in spite of the fact that it is a Hybrid

and for anyone reading this post

I would have purchased the NC1 and/or the Type S NSX if it was sans the Hybrid Technology weighing in at 3300 lbs and cost $50,000 less

Me thinks you need to remove your hybrid as nidus for understanding the NC1...I certainly did not order it because of that. Its cool and all but not my reason. It might be yours, but we are all made a little differently...The weight is a performance issue, putting more stress on cooling and brakes/tires...Driving my car on track alone and putting a 200 lb passenger in for hot laps is a completely different experience slowing me down and heating up everything...

Me thinks you need to remove your hybrid as nidus for understanding the NC1...I certainly did not order it because of that. Its cool and all but not my reason. It might be yours, but we are all made a little differently...The weight is a performance issue, putting more stress on cooling and brakes/tires...Driving my car on track alone and putting a 200 lb passenger in for hot laps is a completely different experience slowing me down and heating up everything...

Yes of course, I get it. You did not order the car because it was a hybrid. That is the point I am trying to make. Acura/Honda could have designed the car as a focused ICE Supercar, but they did not. They purposely went the Hybrid path. That changed everything in a dynamic way. I am sure you have a multitude of reasons on why you are buying the Type S NSX.

I just think it is ironic that Acura/Honda set out to change the paradigm of what a Supercar is by exploiting hybrid technology when what most people wanted was a car that more closely followed the footsteps of the previous generation NSX. When you look at our cars you realize that hybrid technology is much more then a battery powered electric motor. The entire car is impacted by the hybridization of the propulsion system, from the cooling ducts to the braking system. In a way you can not ignore the fact that this car is a hybrid.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree they did what they felt was a gateway to all E at some point....but I'm happy to have both options of a Cosworth longblock with some e-motor action...I'm looking forward to backing the car in the garage without stinking it up...

The weight is a performance issue, putting more stress on cooling and brakes/tires...Driving my car on track alone and putting a 200 lb passenger in for hot laps is a completely different experience slowing me down and heating up everything...

Doc J please stop remembering me and you in "the Bee" at NSXPO Road America 2017. I've lost weight...... ....... ....

HaHa ....Actually I was thinking of a very sturdy fellow ( corporate acura VIP) at TMS....had to be 250....felt like I was stuck in the mud..

The truth be known, I bet there are a lot of NC1 owners and soon to be Type S NSX owners who given the choice would prefer the car not be a hybrid. I bet if we took a poll, that a large number would say that they bought the car in spite of it being a hybrid rather then because it was a hybrid. I can’t tell you how many from the Facebook group think hybrid technology is a waste. They would have preferred the car came without that capability and resulting complexity. That is one of the major reasons why the car did not sell in larger numbers. Most car enthusiasts want ICE as their motive force and really don’t care about saving the planet. I am willing to bet that I am one of the few here that purchased because it was a hybrid. Tell me I am full of it.

I am with you. I purchased 3 primarily because it is hybrid. I like old school, ICE, Hybrid, and EV. However, if I have to pick one I will always go hybrid over others (best of both worlds). Only exception is 296GTB as there will be quite a few more variations before hybrid become extinct and the outgoing F8 looks a lot better and offer something last of its kind.

It is impossible to please everyone. If Gen 2 were ICE, I would still bought one for nostalgic reasons. Many will still complain it was too expensive, they will find something negative to say about it. Even Gen 1 I went back again knowing reliability aside anything F355 or above in manual are much more fun and emotional to drive. Take a F430 manual or 06~08 manual gallardo or 09~14 manual gallardo (59 in US and last of Italian manual super car), any of GT3 generations even 996 GT3. They are so much more fun to drive. There are a lot of great cars. New Emira for example in manual it will be exponentially more fun to drive than Gen 1 NSX.

Regarding facebook hate. One of member's said it best: "The hate was strong with them. I think a lot of Gen 1 owners are second owners who bought when the car were $30k~$40k and so the Gen 2 was never a realistic option, so hate is better that envy. Another group of them are purists who were hoping for a conventional, light, RWD platform. Obviously some people can appreciate both generations. The typical prior owners were not really a target market for Gen 2 and they are bitter about it".

I been in community for 20 years, meet countless NSX owner and are friend with so many. Over the years I can definitely say it is one of best group of people for most part, very passionate about NSX, but definitely not most open minded group. Have a lot of friends that excel over the years and move up to many other great cars while most I know went on to have kids then minivans and never excel from prior decade or just disappears. Also some ex friends who has that want to see you do better but not better than them type of unsuccessful mentality.

Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Gen 2 NSX group are so different, hate is rare among them, much more open minded about other great cars and almost everyone I met continue to excel over the years vs stuck at same stage. Maybe because the threshold automatically filter out certain group of people.

Last edited:
socioeconomics is the cornerstone of car ownership...I don't get mired in that...

Lieberman is bias towards Porsche - he did Pikes Peak in a GT4 and has been writing about it for weeks. Nothing wrong with Porsche, but that article is stupid. I've had numerous Porsche GT cars and sold a 911R to purchase 2020 NSX (car had doubled in value and I just didn't really want to drive around a 400k+ car). You can't compare the two cars. Porsche GT cars do not have the hand built motor that the NSX has, much less the 911 GTS. The build quality on the latest Porsches is also had issue - cracked windows, issues with brakes. The NSX is a fantastically built car and the road car has basically most of the parts of the GT3 race car (the front of the NSX GT3 race car even looks like the road car).

The NSX does great on a track for a street car. If you are really serious about putting your car on a track you buy a spec miata or a race car because of consumable cost and safety.

Porsche pricing today is also ridiculous. The used turbos go for more than the new ones and unless you have bought a bunch of cars from a dealer they try to stick with with an ADM that can be 20k to 50k or higher depending on the car. I bought the NSX because I perceived it to be a relative value compared to everything else out there and is really a no issues car. I could have any Porsche car I want and I choose to drive the NSX. Last year, I was offered both the GT4 RS and GT3 and than taking the cars to flip them (which I don't want to do), I'd rather have the NSX in the driveway.

I haven't really met anyone who doesn't like it or think it's cool. You never see them driving around. 911s are everywhere. They are great cars and not saying I'll never drive another one, but at this point in my life the NSX works perfect for me. The cars maybe technologically advanced but they are pretty easy to work on and tinker with. I changed the brake rotors my self to ceramics from irons fairly easily. Lieberman could do better. His writing isn't bad. His judgement is clouded because he's spent weeks training for Pikes Peak and hanging out with the Porsche guys.

That's the key to NC1 ownership...no hang ups/no badge snobbery/open mind/understanding the product....

Come on

The whole fast car world is a pissing contest, faster is important

Who would buy a McLaren with all of their factory created problems and iffy dealership service if it wasn't faster than a Ferrari dollar for dollar (and that you have a better chance of just going into a dealership and getting what you want)

Just wait for the C8 Z06 to hit the streets and the yapping that will ensue about this being the greatest car and greatest deal, on and on

If folks were using cars like the SF90 at any where near their potential on the street, never mind, that is just not possible

What I am worried about next is high school kids being able to afford used/depreciated Tesla model 3 performance versions, and not being able to handle them when they go too fast

I would lose any micturition battle given my BPH....

All these years of cancer clinical studies and I have never used that term, currently working on a prostate study so I'll have to see if it comes up in an adverse report.

With my BPH I could compete in frequency, not distance.

haha yep gotta gotta go a lot....

No matter what you buy, there will always be a perspective from someone there is something out there better. For most of us buyers, I'm certain the performance is in the enjoyment stratosphere for both cars. Sure, it is fair to compare weight, performance and acceleration etc on paper and including with testing gear. However, no matter what you buy, there is always someone better, and a bit of envy is in our human nature.

I bought the car because it's a work of art, both stylistic and mechanical. That will always be subjective. What isn't subjective is the rarity of the Type-S. I wouldn't give that up for any theoretical 2 second gain in lap time at Road America. No way.

Having owned and sold or traded a C4S, 997tt, two subsequent turbo s, a gt3, and a gt2 rs, it was hope of “better next time” and some bullshit article like this that hooked me. 60 years later one still arrives in a 911 “half deaf and beaten up” or whatever the Clarkson quote is. In default settings the PDK 991 cars try to get into 7th gear at 30mph, requiring a long wake up call for ECU trans and turbos. And keep fresh rear tires on, too, for safety. PCNA policies are near criminal. Smarter and better informed folks than me have done some worry about VWs increasing influence on P. I do miss the steering feel of the base 997s, and If seeking a manual trans car, I’d have to grit my teeth look at the GTS. Makes me grin the NSX is so far ahead tech wise.

Back