• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to Honolulu

It's official! We're moving to Honolulu and should arrive in the middle of June this year. My company is building out time-zone coverage and needed someone to bridge the gap between our new Sydney office and the US offices; years of joking that I'm willing to move to Hawai'i anytime have finally paid off!

I thought housing costs in DC were absurd, but Honolulu is truly something else. We will be living with my wife's folks in McCully initially but will probably take over one of their condos or find living accommodations elsewhere within a month or so. My hunch is we will stay in town although my extended family is trying to convince me to move further out towards Kapolei/Ewa. One nice thing about working remote permanently is that I will not have to commute anywhere, but we'll see how this will work out for my wife.

Our plan is to drive the NSX from Washington DC to San Diego to get it on a Pasha Hawaii carrier as recommended by Steven Lee. We're gonna be talking a really long scenic route though since I want to drive to the Pacific Northwest, the last part of the US I have never visited. I'll be cataloging the drive both here on Prime as well as on Instagram (ID: nsxlife).

Anyways, some NSX lifestyle questions!

1) What NSXCA region covers Hawai'i? I'm guessing it is Southwest...?

2) Where do you guys take your cars for basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, tires, etc.)?

3) How about big items (anything that requires dropping the engine, bodywork, etc.)?

4) Anything NSX-related I should try to bring with me so I don't have to ship it over later? I am already planning on doing a major service on the mainland before I ship the car (TB/WP/assorted repair items).

5) Mods: can I have dark tinted windows? My windows are currently California-legal, which I think was 40 percent all the way around. Also is there a height limit for lowered cars? Decibel limit for exhausts?

6) Registration: I currently have no front plate. How strongly is this enforced on Oahu? Also will I have to pass emissions? My registration is also current in Virginia and good to December 2016; will I have to change it immediately upon arriving in Honolulu?

Thanks all in advance.

I live out in Ewa, I think 2 or 3 other members here live in Ewa as well. It's probably the most bang for the buck in Oahu. I do all my own maintenance so I would not be able to assist you in that. Big items, Paul Coffman here owns a really nice NSX, and operates a small shop called Static Performance. His mechanic Will is doing my Turbo Install. Tint here is 35% limit. If your car is too low you have to get something called recon, I dont have recon and my car is very low. All depends how annoying the cop is. The front plates are enforced in Hawaii, it's not a huge ticket, but you will get one if they pull you over. For the most part if you aren't doing anything stupid, they often leave you alone; once again all depends on the cop. You have 30 days to change your registration over to Hawaii, just keep your shipping papers as they will ask that when you register.

If you have any questions feel free to call me, 808 392 2268, We have a decent size NSX community, however we are extremely inactive, hopefully a few more faces might jumpstart it back up. - Noah

Good deal, thanks for the info Noah. Yeah last time I was there I met Paul and ChrisK and I met Steven Lee before out at NSXPO as well but I hope to eventually meet everyone haha

CTSC to turbo? That is definitely a big job.

Yeah, well to be honest, I have the kit just sitting in my garage, I'm not ready to switch over to turbo just yet. Especially now that it's tuned and running well lol.

Hawaii is part of the Southwest region on Prime.

There's no smog testing in Hawaii but there is an annual safety check requirement. They will check for overly dark tint and some non-OEM items/modifications. As ChrisK mentioned, Hawaii has a "Reconstructed Vehicle" permit for cars that have certain modifications. I haven't found the need to get the permit.

Hawaii has a strict anti-street racing law. Theoretically you can loose your car if it is being driven over 80 MPH or more than 30 MPH over the posted speed limit.

I've received 2 tickets for driving without a front license plate. In Waikiki, the license plate enforcement is very strict.

For servicing an NSX you can go to the Honolulu Acura dealership or a small private shop called Static Performance. I just dropped my BMW with Wil of Static yesterday. They specialize in BMW's and NSX. Wil swapped out engine in Bonhamsurf's NSX. He installed Cody's Lovefab Pikes peak motor in the car and did a custom turbo install. That car was featured in the Super Street magazine a few months ago.

Let me know if you'd like help with real estate in Hawaii. I have some experience (and connections) in that area.

Hey Fred, this is good news. I live in Kapolei right now. Traffic is a pain if you have to commute back to downtown Honolulu, but if you work remotely from home the area is actually a very nice area to live. It is on the drier side of the Island so it is a bit hotter at times, but it also means less rain and other general bad weather. There are 3 NSX owners that I know of within a few blocks of where I live in Kapolei. My brother lives about 2 miles or so away from in in Ewa Beach and he has my old GPW 92. There is another owner that has a Black NSX a couple blocks from him.

Anyway, like Steven said, Wil is a good NSX mechanic for any type of service you may need.

Not sure whether you are looking to rent or buy yet or what your budget is but my dad's house in Nuuanu will likely be popping up for sale around that time (he is actually moving to the PNW!). I can put you in touch. Nice neighborhood, drive time down into Honolulu is about 15m and it's about 20m over to Kailua for slightly more tourist-free beaches and kayaking.

Thanks guys, this is all very good and encouraging info. I am finalizing my booking with Pasha Hawaii and hope to have my NSX arriving in Honolulu by July 1. I am having TB/WP service done on the mainland but will probably wait until I'm on Oahu to change out my clutch.

Still planning on renting to start but would like to buy eventually. We'll see how that plays out over the next year.

Recently moved to the big island and brought the car with me. Found out if your registration is current and not set to expire for a while, you can get a permit for the current plates/tags until they expire.

- Chris

Too bad the timing wasn't ideal, I had a 1 bedroom condo that was available to rent in Waikiki. But currently I do have a room available in a house I grew up in. I can always make room in the garage for another NSX owner. There will be 2 NSX's side by side which would be a first for me.

just seeing this. Fred, Congrats! The road trip and the move in general sounds too fun. If you pass thru Montana: I suggest the hotel I stayed at once, it was in a natural hot springs area and had a waterslide into the hot springs-water pool year-round, with views of the mountains in sight if I rememer right.

http://www.fairmontmontana.com/Fairmont_Hot_Springs

Looking forward to the trip photos, I'll be checking Instagram daily!

Thanks all for the info.

Andy I will look into your Montana stop suggestion. Right now our route is taking us right through that area so that might work out.

And yes, as for VA ~ the local police are actually very happy with their notoriety. I know of at least one NSX driver who has spent time in jail for enjoying their car. It is pretty unfortunate because there are some really great driving roads in the state and the Shenandoah area described in the article IMHO is the best within easy range of DC.

It doesn't stop us, but it is something we keep in consideration. We are very careful about which pictures we post from the drives, for example. Nothing illegal here, just a bunch of guys hanging out!

YWzYCMd.jpg

Local police in VA will be one thing I definitely will not be sad about leaving behind.

Last edited:
Hey all; update! I got the NSX a few days ago, a little earlier than expected. Pasha Hawai'i had lost my key so they called me in the morning and asked me to bring my key since they doubted they could tow the NSX out of the ship without damaging it. Very cool experience; their ship is like giant floating parking garage and actually the ramps inside are pretty gentle, even for very low cars. It's only that last ramp onto the dock that is a little steep.

I re-lowered my car as close as possible to its previous height and that seems to have fixed most of the alignment problems I had although I am still planning to go to Scotty's in Pearl City for an alignment soon-ish (I need new tires too so I will probably do those together). I did some research into the recon permitting system and it seems like I might actually need that... but it sounds like some of you guys have far more modified cars than I do and have no issue with it, so maybe I will get away with it too. I'll see how that goes when I get the car registered.

We are staying in town with my wife's family for now but will be moving into a small condo nearby next month. It'll be good for my wife being able to get into work and since I don't have to worry about a commute, I will have the luxury of taking the NSX out only when I want to (ie no traffic) instead of sitting stuck on H1 or Nimitz all morning and all afternoon.

Unfortunately I missed the last Cars and Coffee in Aina Haina by just a day and it seems that 'regular' event only happens once a month. Any other leads on car-oriented events? I am always looking for excuses to drive around! haha

The only thing I can think of that you need recon for on an NSX is for the lowered suspension. Fortunately my current car has recon, but my others didn't. It is actually getting harder to pass without recon now days due to the inspection station needing to take pictures of your car with State Provided iPads and all the pictures and information gets uploaded virtually instantly now. Most places aren't willing to let you slide anymore. Believe it or now, on my previous NSX's without recon, I used to swap back in the stock suspension and get my safety inspection done. It is a PITA and takes me about an hour, but I have always passed on the first try. You also need to swap back in your halogen 9006 bulbs if you have HIDs. No need recon for exhaust, rims, or body kits. You do need recon for BBK though. Also you need to have 35% or lighter tint. In Hawaii you can tint your entire front windshield 70% or lighter.

If you need a stock suspension, I have a set you can use for recon if you can't pass without it and need to borrow it for safety. Otherwise, getting recon is by appointment, so you may have to wait a month or so to get inspected. You also need proof of alignment to within factor specs no older than 30 days old from the date of your recon inspection.

your state mandates oem suspension settings???:eek:

your state mandates oem suspension settings???:eek:

Not the entire State, just the City and County of Honolulu. If you live on the other Islands (Not Oahu) than you don't have to have a Reconstruction Permit (RECON) for modified vehicles. As to OEM Spec Alignment, yes. In order for a modified vehicle to pass our annual safety inspection, the car needs RECON if you have certain modifications like a lowered suspension. In order to pass RECON inspection and obtain a RECON sticker, you have to show proof of alignment within OEM specs. Most of us either get willing alignment shops to smudge the numbers on the print out to within OEM spec if need be, or take the car in with suspension settings that can get to OEM specs, then later change the settings to what we like.

whatyaknow Hawaii is not the stance nation:biggrin:

Not the entire State, just the City and County of Honolulu. If you live on the other Islands (Not Oahu) than you don't have to have a Reconstruction Permit (RECON) for modified vehicles. As to OEM Spec Alignment, yes. In order for a modified vehicle to pass our annual safety inspection, the car needs RECON if you have certain modifications like a lowered suspension. In order to pass RECON inspection and obtain a RECON sticker, you have to show proof of alignment within OEM specs. Most of us either get willing alignment shops to smudge the numbers on the print out to within OEM spec if need be, or take the car in with suspension settings that can get to OEM specs, then later change the settings to what we like.

man that sounds like such a PITA on a yearly basis....why the f' would they give two shits about your alignment??? crazy:confused:

man that sounds like such a PITA on a yearly basis....why the f' would they give two shits about your alignment??? crazy:confused:

yea you'd think California would have thought of that first..:tongue:

yea you'd think California would have thought of that first..:tongue:

Besides a smog test every 2-3 years, cali is very relaxed compared to other states....you'll rarely even see a front plate on a cali NSX....:cool:

The only thing I can think of that you need recon for on an NSX is for the lowered suspension. Fortunately my current car has recon, but my others didn't. It is actually getting harder to pass without recon now days due to the inspection station needing to take pictures of your car with State Provided iPads and all the pictures and information gets uploaded virtually instantly now. Most places aren't willing to let you slide anymore. Believe it or now, on my previous NSX's without recon, I used to swap back in the stock suspension and get my safety inspection done. It is a PITA and takes me about an hour, but I have always passed on the first try. You also need to swap back in your halogen 9006 bulbs if you have HIDs. No need recon for exhaust, rims, or body kits. You do need recon for BBK though. Also you need to have 35% or lighter tint. In Hawaii you can tint your entire front windshield 70% or lighter.

If you need a stock suspension, I have a set you can use for recon if you can't pass without it and need to borrow it for safety. Otherwise, getting recon is by appointment, so you may have to wait a month or so to get inspected. You also need proof of alignment to within factor specs no older than 30 days old from the date of your recon inspection.

This sounds problematic because lights and suspension are pretty much the only things I have that are obviously modified on the car. I never even had the factory 9006 bulbs because the original owner had HIDs installed immediately. As for the suspension; I found I can adjust it to near factory height in about an hour so that might not be an issue... just a pain in the ass. This is annually? -_-

This sounds problematic because lights and suspension are pretty much the only things I have that are obviously modified on the car. I never even had the factory 9006 bulbs because the original owner had HIDs installed immediately. As for the suspension; I found I can adjust it to near factory height in about an hour so that might not be an issue... just a pain in the ass. This is annually? -_-

Yes it is annually. Keep in mind the inspection stations probably will do a visual inspection of the suspension, so once they see the adjustable coil overs, or lowering springs they will fall you and require you to get recon. I failed once when they saw the Eibach label on my springs, and another time with a different car when they saw the coil overs.

Yes it is annually. Keep in mind the inspection stations probably will do a visual inspection of the suspension, so once they see the adjustable coil overs, or lowering springs they will fall you and require you to get recon. I failed once when they saw the Eibach label on my springs, and another time with a different car when they saw the coil overs.

wow!!! what is the point to these anal probing inspections???:confused: good lord....:frown:

wow!!! what is the point to these anal probing inspections???:confused: good lord....:frown:

It's a long story, but from what I heard it started off as a good idea a long time ago. Maybe in the 60's or 70's. I heard was designed to catch stolen parts on reconstructed vehicles as well as make sure the vehicle was built safely. Over time it tuned into a financial cash cow since Police now have probable cause to pull you over if you have a modified vehicle and no recon. At the very least they can ticket you for no recon, and they also now can give you more tickets for any and every you may have like illegal HID's, illegal tint and so forth. Did I mention you have to pay to a fee to get a recon permit?

As you can see by the extremely modified vehicles on Oahu, we do manage. It's just a little more jumping through hoops though.

Back