• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My fastest lap at Putnam today

I am so excited that I almost pissed in my pants. :biggrin:

After several DEs at Putnam I was consistently running 1:26s and was strugeling to go faster until spending a session with a really good Instructor (Mike Kelly) and former NSX owner who got my confidence and speed up in Turn 1, 2-3 & 7. BTW: Running Putnam in the rain also helped build the confidence sliding the car around at lower speeds. Then once it dried up in the afternoon I was more apt to really push the car and get a nice slip angle going with the added confidence that I had a little practice catching it.

Today I ran three clean laps out front.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

1:22.5
1:22.9
1:22.3

Red is the Fast Lap compared to Blue (1:26.0 lap) - BTW: Peak Lateral Accerlation recorded on the Racelogic VBox was 1.194 g on Falken 615s! :eek:

attachment.php

The rest of the laps were in traffic, but I had no problems reeling in and passing a couple of 911s, Cayman S & M3 all running Hoosier R6 slicks.

Mods are Comptech Pro Suspension (set at 6 Rebound / 6 Comp F & R) , Dave's Non-Comp F & R, Type R chassis braces, Dali Street/Track sway & Stock rear sway. Falcon Azensis 615s on stock 16/17 wheels.

Attachments

• fastlap.jpg
    fastlap.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:
Holy crap! You shaved off four seconds!!! :eek:

Yep... sliding the car in the rain really gave me the confidence to start pushing it harder in the dry and I did push it hard. I think I still have a little more left to pickup in turn 1 and 7. My instructor told me that his fastest time in his 92 NSX (stock) was 125.0 and that if I could get mine into the 24s I would be doing really well. I think he was a little shocked when he clocked me from the pit in the 22s. :biggrin:

I know what you mean about a rain day at the track. My very first track event was "rained out" on the second day. I was the only one who showed up to lap that morning, I and the track steward that is. I learned so much about the NSX that day, perhaps more than any other track event actually. :biggrin:

4 Secs:eek: :eek: :eek:

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!! That is awesome!! Congrats and you definetly need R-compounds.

Those days are the best arnt they?

Good show. TIME FOR A BIG ASS WING!

Whats going on at 1000ft? Slow lap your braking and fast lap youre accelerating for a bit.

I see in a few corners that in your faster lap your on the gas a lot earlier, feathering the throttle before exit. The slower lap you stayed off it until you were done, or so it seems.

Looks like you're throttle steering. Fun stuff.

Those days are the best arnt they?

Good show. TIME FOR A BIG ASS WING!

Whats going on at 1000ft? Slow lap your braking and fast lap youre accelerating for a bit.

I see in a few corners that in your faster lap your on the gas a lot earlier, feathering the throttle before exit. The slower lap you stayed off it until you were done, or so it seems.

Looks like you're throttle steering. Fun stuff.

The 1000' mark is turn 1 at Putnam. Previously, I would brake hard, turn in and coast through the turn and then brake for turn 2.

Faster lap, I am braking, turning in and accelerating through the turn. My instructor finally convinced me that the car could do it and he was right.

It looks like you've improved in the 2 most common places-- Turn 1 and Turn 9. They take some nerve to drive at speed. Your entry to 4 seems like there's too much braking (based on the graph and my opinion only). You might start looking there for some tenths.

Nice work.

Is that Traqmate? I hope so, I just bought one... :biggrin:

It looks like you've improved in the 2 most common places-- Turn 1 and Turn 9. They take some nerve to drive at speed. Your entry to 4 seems like there's too much braking (based on the graph and my opinion only). You might start looking there for some tenths.

Nice work.

Is that Traqmate? I hope so, I just bought one... :biggrin:

No it's called PerformanceBox. Uses GPS & accelerometers. I looked at the Traqmate, but this was $499 and self contained.

performancebox.jpg

http://www.vboxusa.com/performancedrift/performancebox.php

Nice job Jim, I have run there twice and I improved from a 1:28 to a 1:25 this time.

NSX2Tall, I have traqmate data for Putnam if you want to share.

T.J.

Using the NSX like it was designed to do. Awesome!

You have to get this on video so I can see a hot lap. That is absolutely amazing to shave four seconds.

Have you been running with any groups other than Porsche club?

You have to get this on video so I can see a hot lap. That is absolutely amazing to shave four seconds.

Have you been running with any groups other than Porsche club?

I'll run with whoever is at Putnam or Mid Ohio. Porsche, BMW, NASA, 10/10th, etc.

I just started instructing with NASA this year.

Back