• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My first Nsx a Barn find!!

How's it going everyone... I wanted to take some time out to introduce myself to you guys. I've been on this forum for yrs, searching for an Nsx & also searching information. I recently decided to finally make an account here.

The Nsx has been my dream car since I was atleast 15. I actually remember the 1st one I've ever seen in person, and told myself one day I will own atleast one of these cars! One of my favorite ones I've ever seen in person belonged to a really nice guy, I went to his house to purchase a blue crv he was selling, so I can have a winter beater. Not sure if he's a member here, but I know he lived in upstate New York. His kids actually were the ones who told me their dad had a Nsx. I thought they were kidding. Sure enough, he opened the garage & there was his yellow Nsx! Again more motivation for me... I searched & searched. Came close to pulling the trigger more than a handful of times, but could never seem to make it to the seller in time before it sold. One even sold as I was on my way to purchase. I took a break on my search for a few yrs.

About a month back, I was very excited about purchasing a boosted one that I found. After leaving the seller a deposit, and finalizing our deal, the car was sadly involved in a hit & run. The seller decided to keep the car till he can resolve the issue. That one really crushed me. But I'm hoping to still be able to purchase that one, once he gets everything settled on his end.

So, I kept searching & searching & found what I feel was thee perfect candidate for me! A 91 black/ivory 5spd Nsx. This car was basically forgotten in a storage facility for 9yrs!! I just knew I was the perfect person to bring this thing back to life! It was 18hrs away from me. The seller sent me pictures of the car, it hurt me soo much to see an Nsx in this condition. But at the same time, it excited me to be able to rescue it. This car was ironically also involved in a hit & run. The front bumper, hood, driver fender & back bumper were all damaged. All cosmetic tho, no air bags deployed, no frame damage at all. I instructed the seller not to try to start it at all.
I got the car back home & waisted zero time. Had the car fully detailed the very next day. Just to see where I stood with the condition of the paint.

Now to the more important part, the motor lol. I didn't want to try to attempt to start it until I drained ALL the fluids in the car. Also ordered oem spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, oil, filter, coolant, etc etc etc. me & my tuner took the plugs out & with a borescope we looked at the cylinder walls. Luckily they were in great shape. We then tried turning the motor by hand, and again she Turned over just fine! The oem parts should be here next week and hopefully I can get her started. Once started I'll then do the major service to her. Timing belt, water pump, all other belts, coolant hoses, etc etc.

As far as the body, I was wondering what you guys thoughts were? I was leaning towards an oem 02 front end conversion. Reason being, is I'd have to replace the parts I mentioned earlier with oem parts anyway. A good friend of mine actually has both oem fenders, hood, side skirts & the middle part of the bumper. All off of his 02 Nsx.

I'm in no rush to get this thing on the road. As I have other toys to entertain me lol. One being an 06 evo rs which is my drag car. The other being a 2012 gtr black edition.

Any suggestions, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long post, just wanted to give you guys as much info as possible. I'll be updating this thread within the next few weeks with pics & info on progress.

Looking forward to getting to know you Guys. For now here's a few pics of when I got it. Hopefully the pics work. Not sure how to upload on this forum.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s474/JunkBoxEvo/AEAA23E0-0545-4E18-AD61-69F6848BEA4B_zpsxoutznro.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums...1-7AD2-4F47-A355-4A1C3978E937_zps86cjpqd9.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums...7-B531-4E87-9174-4E4756992772_zps15xd6aje.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums...7-79D9-4A60-815B-E5FAB6183E23_zpsnwsof2ox.jpg

Last edited:
So I was reading the story and thought "boy this sounds familiar". I try and tell my kids not to brag about the NSX....in this case it was a good thing. That was me you bought the CRV from. Congrats on your new NSX. What a find!!!! As you become familiar with the NSX culture you'll read a lot about a mechanic names "Larry B". He lives in Wallkill which should not be too far from you. He is the premier NSX tech in the area. You won't find one better and I think he has the twin of your car. I would bring it to him straight away. Looking forward to seeing you again. Pete

But then again it looks like you do a bit of wrenching yourself. If you get stuck I'm sure Larry would be able to guide you. There are plenty of tricks that are NSX specific.

Last edited:
Congrats! No idea why someone would leave that in a storage unit for a decade, but oh well.

As far as the front conversion, my opinion is don't do it. The NSXs are becoming more and more collectible, and why that matters is that the value of your car in the long run will be much greater with the proper front end on it. Even outside of that, the NSX is special and nostalgic for many people, and part of that nostalgia is in the proper pop-up headlight front end. She has kept her proper nose for almost 16 years now, so let her continue to keep the one she was born with. :)

Love stories like that. I always say nobody really owns cars like NSX - we're just caretakers.
I agree & look forward to bringing this one back to life.

Congrats! If you do get a 02+ conversion, make sure to go with as much OEM as possible.
thanks man!

So I was reading the story and thought "boy this sounds familiar". I try and tell my kids not to brag about the NSX....in this case it was a good thing. That was me you bought the CRV from. Congrats on your new NSX. What a find!!!! As you become familiar with the NSX culture you'll read a lot about a mechanic names "Larry B". He lives in Wallkill which should not be too far from you. He is the premier NSX tech in the area. You won't find one better and I think he has the twin of your car. I would bring it to him straight away. Looking forward to seeing you again. Pete

But then again it looks like you do a bit of wrenching yourself. If you get stuck I'm sure Larry would be able to guide you. There are plenty of tricks that are NSX specific.

wow you are here! That's awesome man! & you see those great kids of yours stuck in my head lol. I appreciate the advice on Larry as well. Between my tuner & & im confident we'll be able to handle the work. But it's surely good to know I have a go to guy in case we get stumped. Can't wait to get this thing on the road so we can possibly meet up at a car meet or something.

Congrats! No idea why someone would leave that in a storage unit for a decade, but oh well.

As far as the front conversion, my opinion is don't do it. The NSXs are becoming more and more collectible, and why that matters is that the value of your car in the long run will be much greater with the proper front end on it. Even outside of that, the NSX is special and nostalgic for many people, and part of that nostalgia is in the proper pop-up headlight front end. She has kept her proper nose for almost 16 years now, so let her continue to keep the one she was born with. :)

thanks for your input. I'm not 100% going 02 front. Was just considering it because my buddy has a lot of the oem parts. But I'm more than likely going to keep the pop ups. I actually really like the pop up look. Was just a little blown away by how much the oem body parts cost at the dealer. But I wanna fix her the right way.

Great find! That dust is ridiculous! I hope you wore a mask when you detailed it, LOL.... As far as for posting pics here it is easy. There is a photo icon pictured 3 from the right hand side of your message window to add photos.

Last edited:
02 front end - please don't do it. This is great story don't ruin it - keep the legacy of original nsx.

Last edited:
Great story. Where are you located in Northern NJ? I am as well.

Great find! That dust is ridiculous! I hope you wore a mask when you detailed it, LOL.... As far as for posting pics here it is easy. There is a photo icon pictured 3 from the right hand side of your message window to add photos.

lol it took alllll day to detail the car. I didn't get a chance To take "after" pics because it got dark. I should be going to the shop by Tuesday. So I'll try to take a few pics.

02 front end - please don't do it. This is great story and ruin it, keep the legacy of original nsx.

the more I think about it, the more I'm getting away from the 02+ conversion lol. There's so many other things I can use that money towards.

Great story. Where are you located in Northern NJ? I am as well.

im located in Bayonne nj.

02 front end - please don't do it. This is great story don't ruin it - keep the legacy of original nsx.

I agree with the gentlemen above. Please keep the pop-ups! :)

Suggest you restore the NSX to its original condition.
You'll only decrease its value with a conversion and it won't be any faster.

Thanks fellas, I'm going to keep the original lights. They still function 100% and these cars do look great with the pop ups.

Thanks fellas, I'm going to keep the original lights. They still function 100% and these cars do look great with the pop ups.

Smart move. Looking at your pictures it does not appear as there is any significant damage aside from the bumper covers. Easy to replace. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Smart move. Looking at your pictures it does not appear as there is any significant damage aside from the bumper covers. Easy to replace. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

thata correct, body wise I just need one fender, & both bumpers, front hood has a few scratches. But I'm pretty confident the body shop will be able to handle that. I was really surprised to see how well the paint shined after the detail. Almost looked liked glass lol. No swirl marks or anything. Car does has some rock chips along the side tho. I'll try to post a before & after pic of the trunk/wing. dont mind the ugly old tint, that's coming off shortly lol.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3725.jpg
    IMG_3725.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 788
You got a diamond in the rough. Very nice.

Welcome to car detailing hell.... I.E. Black nsx...

NSX stories like this give me goosebumps. Congrats on your find and I'll be sure to follow your story as you restore it to glory. The interior looks in great shape.

very nice find, similar to mine. Mine sat 8 years, had to replace the fuel pump along with all other seals, belts, fluids
FYI I work at acura if need parts

Last edited:
Welcome to car detailing hell.... I.E. Black nsx...

i can only imagine :dispirited: black was one of my last choices in preferred colors for that reason lol.

NSX stories like this give me goosebumps. Congrats on your find and I'll be sure to follow your story as you restore it to glory. The interior looks in great shape.

thank you! One of my favorite parts about this particular car is how stock it is, nothing was touched or altered. Interior was surprisingly in great shape. Just have to fix the driver side inside door handle.

very nice find, similar to mine. Mine sat 8 years, had to replace the fuel pump along with all other seals, belts, fluids
FYI I work at acura if need parts

thanks... that's really good to know. I'll shoot you a Dm if there's anything I need.

Congratz!! Yes welcome to the Black NSX club, aka detail/clean hell! Whats the mileage if you don't mind telling?

Not sure if someone has already told you about http://www.oemacuraparts.com/ but pricing is very good for OEM parts.

She's got 128k miles. You'd think it'll be lower since it sat so long, but the owner had it for years before he parked it. Yeah I knew about that site. I'm really good friends with the owner of a local speed shop who just told me he has an account with Acura :)

Back