• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

my first NSX... from France

Hi guys,
very please to join your community.
I am leaving close toParis in France and I am the new owner of an Honda NSX from 1991 (which is previously a 1st hand and.... a real barn find :smile:).
only 52 000 kms on the clocks and absoluteky mint conditions after washing and detailling. she was leaving in garage from 2008....
I have some questions and issue:
  • there is no heater and AC in the car; the CCU seems to work at 100% (it work sometimes)....but no heat in the car :mad:
  • the Bose system doesn't work at all,
  • the centralisation of the door doesn't seem (maybe it is normal).
  • the button of the unlock trunk doesn't seem to work.
  • I need to buy a new blank key and floor mats
I read many things on the forum but I hope you can help me.

Hello and congrats! Nice to see an owner in Europe bringing a NSX back to life again.

How long has it been sitting? More than 10 years? If it has been sitting a long time be prepared to address some issues, not because it has not been driven, but mainly because the issues can't be detected (by the former owner) if it's not driven. The symptoms you describe normally show up after 10-15 years.

CCU: revision needed
BOSE: dito

Really in Chantilly ?
Sounds too bad for me I guess, as I was looking for a NA1 ad located in Chantilly ^^

is it possible to send private message on the NSXprime forum?

I believe it is... but, I don't find how :biggrin:
I've read we should have more than 10 posts, but I have 11 and still don't work :confused:

Last edited:
Hello and congrats! Nice to see an owner in Europe bringing a NSX back to life again.

How long has it been sitting? More than 10 years? If it has been sitting a long time be prepared to address some issues, not because it has not been driven, but mainly because the issues can't be detected (by the former owner) if it's not driven. The symptoms you describe normally show up after 10-15 years.

CCU: revision needed
BOSE: dito

many thanks goldnsx.
I think the car was stopping in early 2008 (and the previous owner started it once or twice during this period) but she was storage in a dry place (but not warm).
I noticed the Bose problem (but he told me it was a fuse problem) and the CCU was partially working..but I did not detect the problem of "locking door" centralization and trunk button.
What does it mean "dito" in your previous message?

Really in Chantilly ?
Sounds too bad for me I guess, as I was looking for a NA1 ad located in Chantilly ^^

I believe it is... but, I don't find how :biggrin:
I've read we should have more than 10 posts, but I have 11 and still don't work :confused:

Mine is another one..not the one selling by professionnal in Chantlly. Abd I saw in september in Gouvieux (close to me) another NSX (maybe a Honda lover because there was a Civic Type R FN2 at the same place and same time).

many thanks goldnsx.
I think the car was stopping in early 2008 (and the previous owner started it once or twice during this period) but she was storage in a dry place (but not warm).
I noticed the Bose problem (but he told me it was a fuse problem) and the CCU was partially working..but I did not detect the problem of "locking door" centralization and trunk button.
What does it mean "dito" in your previous message?
Do you intend the BOSE stereo? If it's the head unit it could be difficult to repair. Some refresh it early enough or before it fails. It was quite easy back then, have a look at prime what failures people reported, refresh them before they fail. The speakers can have a separate problem as they're active speakers. The first batch of speakers failed after about 10 years, the head unit after about 20-25 years.
The CCU might have a good chance to work again if you refresh it with new caps soon.
Can't comment on the door locking problem.
dito = same as above

Don't freak out but there are some more issues you're going to detect soon, all of them repairable.

Welcome Onechou!
I'm also located in France but in the South West in Dordogne.
I mainly attend track days with my turbocharged NSX and will be glad to help you if I can.

Hey

What do you mean exactly with [*]the button of the unlock trunk doesn't seem to work?

You know there is a switch in your glove box which has to be „on“ to enable your trunk Switch in your driver side door to open your trunk?

Greetings from Germany

Hi guys,
very please to join your community.
I am leaving close toParis in France and I am the new owner of an Honda NSX from 1991 (which is previously a 1st hand and.... a real barn find :smile:).
only 52 000 kms on the clocks and absoluteky mint conditions after washing and detailling. she was leaving in garage from 2008....
I have some questions and issue:
  • there is no heater and AC in the car; the CCU seems to work at 100% (it work sometimes)....but no heat in the car :mad:
  • the Bose system doesn't work at all,
  • the centralisation of the door doesn't seem (maybe it is normal).
  • the button of the unlock trunk doesn't seem to work.
  • I need to buy a new blank key and floor mats
I read many things on the forum but I hope you can help me.

Welcome Onechou!
I'm also located in France but in the South West in Dordogne.
I mainly attend track days with my turbocharged NSX and will be glad to help you if I can.

Hi CB72, many thanks for your answer; happy to read there are several french Hondiste here :biggrin:.

Hey

What do you mean exactly with
[*]the button of the unlock trunk doesn't seem to work?

You know there is a switch in your glove box which has to be „on“ to enable your trunk Switch in your driver side door to open your trunk?

Greetings from Germany

hi Hondadash,
I tried with the switch in the glovebox but there is no effect; the button "trunk" on the panel door doesn't work anyway, i don't know if there is a specific fuse for this?
I have several issues with electronic on my nsx; doors centralisation (with key or with button) doesn't work too..the fuse grilled after 1 use each time.

Free .pdf versions of the 1991 service manual are available here (in English).

Service manuals - NSX-Wiki (nsxprime.com)

The Factory Service Manual is an essential requirement for owning a 30 year old car.

Given that your car is 30 years old, the CCU likely requires replacement of the internal electrolytic capacitors; but, before you do that check in your owners manual or the service manual for a description of the CCU self test. If the CCU fails to carry out the self test then the you likely need to remove the CCU for repair (if you can use a soldering iron you can do the repair yourself). If the CCU can complete the self test it may give you a message that the problem is not the CCU and that is worth checking out before removing the CCU for repair.

If you can't get any heat inside the car, is the engine coming up to normal operating temperature (temperature gauge at about the mid point). If the temperature gauge is not reading normal then the thermostat may be stuck open. If the thermostat is sticking open and you haven't changed the coolant already flush and replace the coolant when you replace the thermostat. It would also be good to replace all the coolant hoses at the same time as you flush the cooling system. The other thing to check for lack of heat is the heater control valve. The cable that controls the valve can come loose or out of adjustment resulting in an inability to control the heat.

With respect to the Bose car stereo, does the head unit power up and can you control the display (enter and store stations, operate the cassette mechanism - if you can find a cassette)? If the head unit seems to work the problem may just be the door and sub woofer amplifiers. You can send the amplifiers out for repair or you can repair them yourself if you can use a soldering iron. If the head unit does not operate then the lower cost repair option is to replace the head unit with an aftermarket stereo system.

Welcome to Prime and vintage car ownership!

oh yeah !!!
she's so beautiful !!

can't wait for more photos :)

Last edited:
Beautiful. Congratulations!

[MENTION=37562]onechou2304[/MENTION]

Looks great. [MENTION=26435]Old Guy[/MENTION] provided some great information.

For the key and floor mats, here are my suggestions:

1) Floor Mats - Mita Motorsports in Japan has pretty much all the OEM floor mats available. The website link is in my comments about thoughts on ownership (linked below)

2) The key. There are three types of keys for the NSX. A) The Monel (some will call it the titanium key) that is silver in appearance and is hard to cut. Depending on where you order it from, they may want your lock code. This is a four digit number that is on the keys that came from the factory. The code is also on the lock cylinders themselves. The trunk lock cylinder is the one most people access to get the code since the door lock cylinders are a pain to access. To reveal the code, undo the trunk liner along the back edge by the latch. You will see 4 nuts that hold the center trim on (the piece with the "H" on it between the tail lights) - remove the four bolts and carefully lift the trim piece away. The code should be visible on the lock cylinder with the trim removed. B) The key with the black plastic coating - this key is pretty cheap (under $20 for a blank compared to over $100 for the Monel key) and can be cut by the dealership or just about any locksmith to match your current key. C) The valet key. This is a smaller key that will only start the engine and unlock the doors. It will not unlock the glove box. The idea is - if your trunk release is working - you turn off the master power to the trunk in the glove box and then lock the glove box. The valet key can be used to lock/unlock the doors and start the car - but you can't open the trunk. I don't know too many people that even bother with the valet key...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...to-new-NSX-Owners-(and-maybe-some-not-so-new)

Back