• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My let's see where this one goes "build" thread

I picked up my first NSX almost 2 months ago from another Prime member. She’s a ’91 Berlina Black on Black with 49k miles and very little wrong with her (depending on who you are).

I thought I wanted a bone stock example that I could drive the daylight out of but after test driving her (she still doesn’t have a name) I realized that there were a few modifications I would need to make to a bone stock example and the added expense of doing it myself versus buying one that was already done didn’t make sense. Plus the previous owner had EVERY OEM part that came off the car so if I ever wanted to go back to stock I could (although to have the USDM gears, R&P, and OEM clutch put back in would cost some money to have reinstalled).

I love the car, but I have been building this vision in my head to make the car my own. Nothing super drastic, just small touches here and there.

I plan to use this thread as a record keeping journal but also to see how my tastes/ideas change as time goes on.

Here she is:

NSX_26.jpg

Items in progress:
A few engine dress up pieces
Type-S steering wheel

Items next on the list (hopefully by the end of the season):
Radiator Cooling Panel
JDM Tails (already have the Type-S center piece)
OEM 02+ rear valance
OEM seats done in Type-S style
Type-S style door card inserts
Type-S exterior door emblems
Full Vinyl Wrap

Down the road items:
New Floor Mats
LMA replacement
Coolant tank replacement or at least covered
GT Spec 4pt Brace (if I can find one)
Possibly different exhaust
possibly CF front lip
possibly CF side intakes
possibly CF rear valance
possibly ‘97+ brakes or BBK (might require new wheels though)

and more…
I’m always open to suggestions, thoughts, gotchas, and assistance from the community. :smile:

Congratulations on your purchase. What color were you thinking for the wrap? The black looks fantastic in your photo. :)

The black is in amazing condition from even as close at 5 feet away. I was strongly considering just a touch up of a few areas and then a full clear bra on the whole car and I still might do that but from an expense stand point the wrap is cheaper. But I am considering either a black gloss with blue metal flake in it (I know, why wrap if staying black but I think it would add a great subtle pop to the car), or I might just throw caution to the wind and do satin blue chrome. Some days I think I'm crazy :cool:

Well it’s a small modification but everyone starts somewhere right? I’ll throw these on this weekend as well as the JDM Tails with the Type-S center piece

01307241be0cb813a69bc57b50df726b.jpg

68e2c3e3359bfc1af82a8c2bc0e541a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and a great looking NSX ...

Ive also swapped to the NSX type S door badges ... a nice subtle mod and you’ll be amazed how few notice ... keep the mods subtle and you thank yourself

All the best with your NSX journey ..

Those fit nicely. Are those the Pride ones?

Yeah, they look really nice. I’m thinking about buying some but stayed on the fence due to fitment. But heard the pride ones were spot on.

Yeah, they look really nice. I’m thinking about buying some but stayed on the fence due to fitment. But heard the pride ones were spot on.

They are pretty darn close to spot on. They are incredibly light. I highly recommend them.

My only suggestion is you may want to get some M6x18 washers and I picked up some M5-.80 wing nuts. I found that the washers they sent if not seated perfectly can actually slip through the hole in the fender for the bolt. And the nuts they sent were so small my hand couldn’t get it positioned on the bolt right.

Any issues with the weave?

Great job so far and love the little touches, funny as I am doing a lot of the same mods as you. cant wait to see the finished product!

p.s.....clean that motor :p

Great job so far and love the little touches, funny as I am doing a lot of the same mods as you. cant wait to see the finished product!

p.s.....clean that motor :p

Thanks! She's coming along nicely. I have a CF Radiator Plate on it's way. I figured I'd start with the small easy mods and work my way up as I learn more about the car.

ya...about the motor...lol. The whole engine bay and under the hood needed a good cleaning. The previous owner hadn't cleaned it up in a little while, but it's getting detailed this week. I was going to try and do it myself but it was so much work I figured I'd leave it to the professionals to get me a good "base" to keep it clean from, should make it easier for me moving forward.

Did you order the SCW Performance one? let me know how it fits once you get it as I am wanting to do one and add the matching radiator stay as well. BTW you'll see how fast you will be adding modes! I got my NSX mostly stock in April of this year and I don't think a week goes by without me adding a thing here and there....lol

I just did the SOS expansion tank and I highly recommend it - changes the engine bay completely.

So I actually went with the CF one from Stephen Deisinger (sduff@composites).

Ya it seems like this summer a new package or 2 is coming in each week. I think I have 3 more packages en route right now.

I’m going to do the SOS Coolant Tank for sure, I’m just trying to decide if I want to attempt another DIY or wait until next summer when I have the TB/WP done and have the mechanic do the coolant tank for me then.

Nice work! I am pleased to see the fitment on the side ducts. I'll be getting those for my Type S Zero project, along with B-pillars. Mine, however will be painted orange. Thinking about the RF Yamamoto versions (price at current exchange rates is about $350), but the fitment on those Pride ones has me reconsidering...

Here is a shot of the engine bay and under the hood now that she's all cleaned up and shiny for the weekend:

NSX_34.jpg

NSX_35.jpg

For those of you asking about the Pride Side Ducts one HUGE word of caution. DO NOT attempt to have a clear bra applied. The shop here that is hands down one of the best for vinyl wrap and clear bra shops in Colorado tried and when they went to pull the bra up so they could re-position it the bra it took up the clear coat on the side ducts. They stopped immediately but now I have a spot of bare carbon so I need to see if Pride can fix it or if a local shop can. The shop doing the clear bra was expecting it to be an epoxy that is common for most carbon fiber products I guess but it's not. Other than that I love them.

Figured since a lot of small stuff has happened recently that I'd update my Mods list:

Items in progress:
A few engine dress up pieces - Some done in July/Aug 2018 - more to come
Type-S steering wheel

Items next on the list (hopefully by the end of the season):
Radiator Cooling Panel - Shipped this week, will be installed next week
JDM Tails (already have the Type-S center piece) - Done July 2018
OEM 02+ rear valance
OEM seats done in Type-S style
Type-S style door card inserts
Type-S exterior door emblems - Done July 2018
Full Vinyl Wrap
Carbon Fiber Side Mirrors - Shipped Aug 2018

Down the road items:
New Floor Mats - purchase Zanardi ones but they won't work when I get my seats redone so I'll have to figure something else out
LMA replacement
Coolant tank replacement - i'm going to go with the SOS one but not sure when
GT Spec 4pt Brace (if I can find one) - purchase the newly designed engine chassis brace from Cedar Ridge Aug 2018 - will continue searching for a GT Spec though
Possibly different exhaust
possibly CF front lip
possibly CF side intakes - Purchased from Pride and done July 2018
possibly CF rear valance
possibly ‘97+ brakes or BBK (might require new wheels though)
Downforce 02+ Side Skirts - Shipped this week, will need to find a set of door inserts

The Honda logos look way better than the Acura ones. Unfortunately, it comes with a price. You have to school people about North American Honda/Acura and Honda Japan. I was even asked if I had a Honda with an Acura NSX body kit once.��

A little tip for a clean and tight engine bay and frunk, I peeled off the fuse labels and glued them onto the inside of the covers with 3M spray adhesive for a label less clean look.

My let's see where this one goes "build" thread

i like the real tail light replacement. i didn't think it'd look better than the 'ACURA' but it most certainly does. wonder if there's an 'A' version of that 'H' logo?

As far as I’m aware the pre 02 Acura tails just have the word “Acura” in black inside the center tail piece. After 02 it was the 3D Chrome “A” emblem on the outside.

I know there are a couple of threads where people took the center piece and carefully opened it and replaced “Acura” with “NSX” so my guess would be you could do the same thing with a black print out of the “A”?

There probably isn’t an ‘A’ version of this particular “H” since it’s the Type S version which was only ever badged as a Honda

Last edited:
Back