• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My "Not a build, but a repair" thread - 1991 NSX

My "Not a build, but a repair" thread - 1991 NSX @ Daisy Auto

Hi all,

I'm sending my car to Ben at Daisy Auto for some repairs and maintenance. Since he is in Maryland and I am in Michigan, I thought I'd start a thread to let people see the repairs and upgrades.

The first part of the story is hilarious (or sad) and 100% real. It involves getting the car transported to Ben (because of the state of the car I didn't want to drive it to Maryland).

Here is the story on the NSX transport (fun stuff!):

I got a call at about 6:30pm on Wednesday saying they would pick up the car on Thursday morning before noon. So I had to cancel a doctor’s appointment and get to the bank early (because payment is due in cash or money order at time of pick up).

Well, as some of you may know, he didn’t make the noon pick up time. In fact, I was able to attend my niece's confirmation mass (at 7:00PM!). We then went to dinner and then went home. Still no call. I get a call about 10:20 PM! He said he is “on his way” and is “only” about 67 miles away! He showed up at 12:30AM! (“only” 12.5 hours later than his latest estimate!). The first thing he did was erase my mailbox – snapped it right off the post. Then he couldn’t get his ramps set up for 40 minutes! (Did I mention that this is in my residential neighborhood at 1:10AM?).

Finally he got the ramps set up. I said “there is no way my car is going to make it up those ramps”. He said “sure it will – its that car, right?” (pointing to my Civic in the driveway - duh.). I said “No, it is most definitely NOT that car” (I had sent pictures of the car and texted him the make and model). He said he had some wood that would help ease the transition onto the metal ramps. Then I pulled the NSX out of the garage and into the street. He got into it and tried to drive it onto the ramps (slowly, with me supervising). The wood folded the front spoiler under before the wheels ever touched the wood/ramps. He said “I think we can make it”. I said “there’s no way we are even going to try! You are causing damage before the wheels even touch the ramp!”. (Fortunately, the spoiler is rubberized plastic and reset itself to the normal shape as soon as he backed the car up).

He said that that was the best he could do. He said I may have to go to an enclosed trailer like they do with those "fancy cars" ~ Corvettes and Camaros! (Camaros???). I told him the car he was sitting in was worth more than any Vette or Camaro. He said “It is?” I told him a new one cost around $100,000.00. He looked at me like I was nuts. We cancelled our transaction and he gave me $80.00 towards the repair of the mailbox.

So……after all that, I have a broken mailbox and an NSX still in my garage!

I called the shipping company the next morning, told them I was upset and angry, explained all of the trouble, and asked what could be done. They said an enclosed trailer could be used and the cost would be $XXX. They said they could do it for $XXX-$20.00 because of the trouble I went through. I told them that probably wasn’t good enough and told the guy on the phone to talk to his manager and see if he could do a better price, as I was leaning towards going with Reliable Transportation, even though they are more expensive.

Sorry also about all of the exclamation marks (!). But the whole situation was rather ridiculous. Something about standing outside in single digit temperature at 1:30 in the morning watching my car and yard being abused made me a little cranky.

Update as of 02/01/12:

Reliable transportation came today and was everything that the other driver was not. Brought a liftgate truck. They were on time, friendly, professional, and competant. The truck/diver they sent usually does show cars and manufacturer's concept cars. They were on their way to the Washington DC car show. They promised my car would be on the top level of the enclosed transport so that no fluids would leak on it - but they cover all cars in plastic in any case. Below is a picture of them loading the car:

Attachments

• NSX Transport.jpg
    NSX Transport.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
so the name of the dumb a_s company that we all should never use is called????

you forgot to mention the company name.

Hi Shawn,

I went through Montway - but they subcontracted it out to an independant called "Steel Gate". I don't blame Montway (although they could have "sweetened the pot" on a follow-up deal more than they did.

Here is the list of repairs that Ben will be looking at:

Most Important

1. There are several oil leaks. These need to be located and repaired

2. There is a coolant leak. This needs to be located and repaired

3. It is probably time to change the water pump. I have not had that done since I’ve owned the car. I got my NSX in 2000.

4. It is probably time to change the timing belt. I have not had that done since I’ve owned the car. I got my NSX in 2000.

5. The brakes need to be inspected. They don’t feel right. I feel an oscillation under braking.

6. Please check all of the lights / turn indicators. I believe the right front running light may be out.

7. Please inspect the wheel hubs. One broke on me last year (necessitating the need for me to buy new wheels from you, which I am very happy with, by the way).

8. The car needs a tune-up. I have not had that done since I’ve owned the car. I got my NSX in 2000

9. I imagine you would also do an oil change. I have only ever used Mobil 1 10W30 full synthetic in the car.

10. This just happened on the day before transport! I started the car and noticed that the climate control unit locked up. No display was visible and I could not turn it off. None of the mode buttons lit up or did anything at all. The fan was still blowing, but I could not adjust the speed. I have never had anything like that happen before!

11. Lately, even if I unlock the drivers door (from the outside - with the key), the alarm will still go off. This only happens intermittently, and so far I have been able to silence the alarm by reinserting the key and unlocking it again. Maybe it’s just a stuck contact?

Less Important

1. The ABS pump would constantly run. The dealer quoted me over $4,300.00 just to replace the pump. Under their advice (since I could not afford that kind of money for the replacement) I removed the fuses for the ABS Pump / Traction Control unit. These fuses are in the center console. I have been told by some members on NSX Prime that there is a less expensive solution. I did the “stomp on the brakes hard to reset the unit” trick. That worked for a few years, but not any longer. Do you have any suggestions? I don’t use the ABS/Traction Control much in my regular driving (I don’t drive it in the winter or on a racetrack) but I would like to have everything functioning again.

2. The Climate Control Unit operates a little weird. If I turn it on and set the temperature to “60” (the lowest setting) it blows cold air just fine. But if I go up just one degree to “61” it stops blowing cold and merely blows at whatever the ambient air temperature is. The heater seems to work just fine. (but see note number 10 above)

3. The fan works fine most of the time, but occasionally it won’t blow at all (I know intermittent things are hard to track down).

4. The car has an odd thing going on with the electrical system. As long as the car is started every 5 or 6 days it starts and runs just fine. But if I leave it for a week or so, it will be totally dead (no dome lights or anything). The odd thing is, if I go to start it on day 7 (for example) it starts right up. But if I wait till day 8, it will be totally dead again. I’m thinking there must be some sort of constant draw going on. I have a Schumacher battery tender attached in the front of the car (where the spare tire would be). I plug the car into this when storing it for the winter and it works wonderfully – the car starts right up in the spring. I believe the car has a relatively new battery.

5. I had to “rig” the way the front spoiler is attached. I believe the mounting holes in the front fascia have been destroyed. Is there a way to attach it better without replacing the front fascia?

6. I have begun to have problems with the stereo head unit display. Although the unit works fine, often the display will be very dim (dimmer than it would normally be if I had the headlights on, for example), or the display will not illuminate at all. Sometimes this can be fixed by pushing various buttons on the head unit, but sometimes that won’t fix it. Any suggestions?

*Wish List*

1. The center console and door sill vent areas are slightly “bubbling”. Can anything be done?

2. The finish on the exterior door handles look to be in rough shape. Can they be refinished? Or should they just be replaced?

3. The small shocks holding up the trunk do not do a very good job anymore. Perhaps they are worn out?

4. It would be nice to get a hold of a Zanardi TRUNK mat (the kind with the red border) to match the main cabin floor mats. Do you have access to any such mat?

5. One day I think I would like to do white gauge faces. Have you had any experience installing those? What are your thoughts?

6. The keyless entry hasn't worked on the car for years. The keyfob is in the center console. Let me know if anything can be done

This should be fun!

when you need your car transported you ask them if they are a broker
or do they own their own trucks.

a broker just puts your car on a list that needs to be picked up.
if some joe-smoe is going that way he takes the order.
so you may get someone that has never even seen an NSX before LOL

Yep - I learned. :)

The company I eventually went with was Reliable Transportation. My brother recommended them. He works at Pratt & Miller and Reliable transports all of the GM factory Corvette and Cadillac Race cars when they aren’t using their own transporters.

Thanks for following our thread!

Last edited:
Here is the list of repairs that Ben will be looking at:

Most Important

1. There are several oil leaks. These need to be located and repaired

2. There is a coolant leak. This needs to be located and repaired

3. It is probably time to change the water pump. I have not had that done since I’ve owned the car. I got my NSX in 2000.

4. It is probably time to change the timing belt. I have not had that done since I’ve owned the car. I got my NSX in 2000.

5. The brakes need to be inspected. They don’t feel right. I feel an oscillation under braking.

6. Please check all of the lights / turn indicators. I believe the right front running light may be out.

7. Please inspect the wheel hubs. One broke on me last year (necessitating the need for me to buy new wheels from you, which I am very happy with, by the way).

8. The car needs a tune-up. I have not had that done since I’ve owned the car. I got my NSX in 2000

9. I imagine you would also do an oil change. I have only ever used Mobil 1 10W30 full synthetic in the car.

10. This just happened on the day before transport! I started the car and noticed that the climate control unit locked up. No display was visible and I could not turn it off. None of the mode buttons lit up or did anything at all. The fan was still blowing, but I could not adjust the speed. I have never had anything like that happen before!

11. Lately, even if I unlock the drivers door (from the outside - with the key), the alarm will still go off. This only happens intermittently, and so far I have been able to silence the alarm by reinserting the key and unlocking it again. Maybe it’s just a stuck contact?

Less Important

1. The ABS pump would constantly run. The dealer quoted me over $4,300.00 just to replace the pump. Under their advice (since I could not afford that kind of money for the replacement) I removed the fuses for the ABS Pump / Traction Control unit. These fuses are in the center console. I have been told by some members on NSX Prime that there is a less expensive solution. I did the “stomp on the brakes hard to reset the unit” trick. That worked for a few years, but not any longer. Do you have any suggestions? I don’t use the ABS/Traction Control much in my regular driving (I don’t drive it in the winter or on a racetrack) but I would like to have everything functioning again.

2. The Climate Control Unit operates a little weird. If I turn it on and set the temperature to “60” (the lowest setting) it blows cold air just fine. But if I go up just one degree to “61” it stops blowing cold and merely blows at whatever the ambient air temperature is. The heater seems to work just fine. (but see note number 10 above)

3. The fan works fine most of the time, but occasionally it won’t blow at all (I know intermittent things are hard to track down).

4. The car has an odd thing going on with the electrical system. As long as the car is started every 5 or 6 days it starts and runs just fine. But if I leave it for a week or so, it will be totally dead (no dome lights or anything). The odd thing is, if I go to start it on day 7 (for example) it starts right up. But if I wait till day 8, it will be totally dead again. I’m thinking there must be some sort of constant draw going on. I have a Schumacher battery tender attached in the front of the car (where the spare tire would be). I plug the car into this when storing it for the winter and it works wonderfully – the car starts right up in the spring. I believe the car has a relatively new battery.

5. I had to “rig” the way the front spoiler is attached. I believe the mounting holes in the front fascia have been destroyed. Is there a way to attach it better without replacing the front fascia?

6. I have begun to have problems with the stereo head unit display. Although the unit works fine, often the display will be very dim (dimmer than it would normally be if I had the headlights on, for example), or the display will not illuminate at all. Sometimes this can be fixed by pushing various buttons on the head unit, but sometimes that won’t fix it. Any suggestions?

*Wish List*

1. The center console and door sill vent areas are slightly “bubbling”. Can anything be done?

2. The finish on the exterior door handles look to be in rough shape. Can they be refinished? Or should they just be replaced?

3. The small shocks holding up the trunk do not do a very good job anymore. Perhaps they are worn out?

4. It would be nice to get a hold of a Zanardi TRUNK mat (the kind with the red border) to match the main cabin floor mats. Do you have access to any such mat?

5. One day I think I would like to do white gauge faces. Have you had any experience installing those? What are your thoughts?

6. The keyless entry hasn't worked on the car for years. The keyfob is in the center console. Let me know if anything can be done

This should be fun!

I will stay up on your latest with your build. As for the white face gauges, to answer your question, I have installed these. If you have any questions in regards let me know. You could see pictures in my DIY thread where I listed my steering wheel swap.

Subscribed for some fun :biggrin:

First, you can send your CCU and Radio to BrianK (in Wisconsin) to repair them.
He replaced the capacitors in the CCU out of our purple car, whose display still worked but only blew hot air and only on the high fan speed!

I sent the center console (again from the purple car) off to fellow Primer Chris Wood, who filled the radio area and wrapped it in carbon fiber.
You could probably do a 'stock' refinish yourself, in fact there are several threads about it here......so search away.

I think somebody sells an early ABS system bypass setup, which takes the pump out of the loop....or for more bux you could do the SoS NA2 ABS system upgrade;
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/NA2_ABS_System_Upgrade/

Hope that helps!
Brian

Thanks, I'll check out your thread. But I'm imagining with all the mechanical stuff to do, cosmetic stuff may take a back seat for a while (if the NSX HAD a back seat, that is ;))

Nice write up and GL with the build. Regarding the car not starting. Even if its on a tender, if the battery has been fully discharged more than once there is a chance its got a bad cell and not behave properly. I experienced this with my 350z until I upgraded to an optima. Keep us posted :smile:

:smile: Subscribed.

Have used Reliable twice - they are IT! And worth the price.

That's quite a "laundry list" you have there. Good luck, and hope to meet you sometime at a Michigan NSX get-together.

Thanks - the parts list necessary was more than I anticipated, but I am very confident Ben will take care of me and my car to the best of his ability.

Thanks for subscribing!

I have had great luck with Reliable and JP Logistics. Glad that your car didn't go with the shady hauler.

Nick

The story about that horrible car hauler dragging your spoiler reminded me of last year when I had to have my car towed and I told the jagoffs that the car was about one inch off of the ground, needed boards or ramps to go with the flatbed, and yet they still showed up without boards or ramps and the guys kept pulling the car up as the chin spoiler folded under. I wanted to beat the guy with a tire iron.

Hello All,

Sorry for the long layoff between posts…

I got my car back (from Daisy Auto in Maryland) about four months ago - and it was in "better than promised" condition! Ben is a straightforward guy, professional, knowledgeable, and friendly and he went “above and beyond” in his updates & repairs.

I have listed below the repairs / additions / changes that were done.

• Replaced engine with Ben’s existing mint long block - which included 10K miles clutch assembly, 20k miles alternator, new TW sensor, radiator fan switch, and Mugen thermostat

• Replaced ball joint in left rear upper arm

• Replaced two front brake calipers with mint used ones with near zero rust

• Replaced all four lower ball joints

• Replaced steering rack with low mileage used one

• Replaced front outer tie rods

• Replaced rear outer tie rods

• Replaced brake lines with steel braided ones from SOS

• Replaced brake pads and rotors at all 4 corners

• Replaced front center, rear center, & right motor mounts

• Replaced every coolant hose in the engine compartment

• Replaced coolant reservoir bottle

• Replaced front radiator hoses

• Filled system with Honda coolant

• Changed oil, oil filter, & transmission fluid

• Replaced clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, & rubber hose

• Replaced positive and negative battery cables

• Replaced right door outer handle

• Replaced exhaust system and muffler

• Hass CCU repaired by Brian K.

• Replaced radio with Ben’s near mint unit

• Replaced OEM brake master cylinder with new one

• Replaced front spoiler – Ben custom fabricated new brackets

• Removed and repaired fuel injectors

• Removed and repaired transmission. Resealed and replaced 4 bearings.

• Painted rear bumper cover, left door handle, both front door outer triangles.

• Replaced all 4 CV boot kits

• Replaced O2 sensors

• Performed 4 wheel alignment

• Replaced wiper blades

• Replaced OEM coolant sensor for gauge

• Replaced center console armrest

• Replaced shift knob with Zanardi edition one

• Replaced center console trim

• Replaced third brake light

• Lubed power window assemblies

• Cleaned, polished, & waxed body

Again, all of this work was done to my total satisfaction. Ben was forthcoming on all costs (his pricing was VERY reasonable) and he was in constant communication with me, to the point where if I didn’t hear from him with emails and pictures every few days, I assumed something was wrong (it wasn’t). This was a rather large project, but I never got the feeling in the slightest that it was a challenge for Ben & his staff at Daisy Auto.

When I flew out to Maryland (with my wife) to pick up my car, Ben picked us up at the airport and drove us personally to his shop. This guy knows his stuff – and the word must be spreading because there were at least 5 other NSXs there (along with a Porsche).

The car looked great – my wife even commented that it looked like a new car. It drove wonderfully as well – and everything worked and nothing leaked!

In the months that followed, Ben has repeatedly followed up with me asking how things are going and just making me feel comfortable with the repairs. In one instance I developed a small leak in the left front brake area. He was able to troubleshoot it over the phone and trace the problem to a manufacturing defect in one of the replacement parts. He shipped me a new part (at no cost to me) and paid for a local service shop to install it. You just don’t see customer service like that too often these days!

I couldn’t be happier with the service the car received and the way I (and my wife) were treated by Ben. I would not hesitate to recommend him for ANY NSX service required.

Dan

Wow, thanks for the update Dan..........sounds like you very nearly have a new car!

Brian

yeah but words mean nothing we like pictures with our stories we are like little kids with a picture book regarding the NSX. LOL

pics pics pics LOL

gives us something to read and look at while at work

yeah but words mean nothing we like pictures with our stories we are like little kids with a picture book regarding the NSX. LOL

pics pics pics LOL

gives us something to read and look at while at work

looking for before and after pics, and closeups if any!

Before and After pics will have to be posted by Ben. Almost no cosmetic stuff was done. Its mostly under the bodywork, and I don't have "before" pictures of that stuff.

Back