• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

my NSX on dyno

Hi @ all!

I was on the dyno yesterday, completely stock. The 3.0 NSX is rated with 274hp in Europe. So my goal was to have more than 274hp.

1st run in 5th gear: 281hp
2nd run in 4th gear: 279hp
whp: 229

I wanted to compare 4th and 5th gear, cause some people are thinking there is a difference in the results....well, it is not! :)

The first 2 pics show the comparison between 4th and 5th gear. The drive train lost from 32,6kw measured in 4th gear seems a bit high to me, but I think the reason for it are the Yokohama A048 Semilsick.....they sound like an turbine on the dyno rolls. Unbeliveable loud!

Mmax: Newtonmeter to crank
Prad: wheel hp
Pmax: crank hp
Pverl: hp lost in drive train

Higher speed means also higher drive train lost.

dyno_4th_vs_5th_2.jpg__scaled_791.jpg

dyno_4th_vs_5th.jpg__scaled_791.jpg

dyno_280ps.jpg__scaled_889.jpg

Now I am waiting for Taitec headers + exhaust, procar special chip, air intake. My goal is to get abot 310hp out of it.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I plan to get out 310 hp to the engine. I have already a boosted beast, my Turbo ITR with 400whp..... I don't wanna go thru all that with my NSX. The NSX is my weekend driver and I don't wanna upgrade it too much, it has never an end if you begin with heavy mods like cams or SC/Turbo, I know that from my type-R.

It looks like your dyno report shows both crank and wheel horsepower. How does it figure crank horsepower?

when you hit the rev limiter, you get of the throttle and let the wheels spin out to 0 kmh. The lost in drivetrain is shown under the black line on the plot. The dyno adds this drive train lost + whp and you have the crank hp

HI Austrian type-R

Great to see your power info numbers on a “stock” 92. I, too, have a “stock” 92 (67352 miles). Do you feel that with the add on mods you have listed, you will reach your goal of 310 HP?

Seems there are many brands and many “claims” (of HP #’s), depending on the brand of headers /mufflers. Some manufacture needs to spend the R and D time and build a truly sealed air chamber type “box” that will attach to the inner well/airscoup and take all the incoming air into the throttle body ( maybe there is something there already). Those three areas seem to offer the cheapest and easiest H.P gains.

Keep posting as you make changes and developments. There are quite a few guys with the older 91-94’s that would like to find a few extra horsepower.

Dave

Hi,
Thanks for the dyno-post. My Taitec headers were installed on the car just last week but it will be a while before I can get the car on the dyno, the other work needs to be fixed first.
Would be very interested to see what the results are after you've done all the mods you have planned.
Am still thinking about the Cantreel en SOS BBTB to add next after the headers.

Hi Christian

FYI, i dynoed my 91NSX some years ago on a similar dyno and here are the numbers to compare with yours(my mods were at this moment : RM Cold intake, Comptech cat bypass pipes and Remus exhaust)

Attachments

• power.jpg
    power.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 426
  • torque.jpg
    torque.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 393
cool, another Bosch Dynamometer user :)

... I will dyno again with Taitec H/E and later again with airbox and after that with Procar speacial chip, lowered VTEC, raised redline with modified fuel and ignition table. So I can compare before and after hp results :)

austrian type-R said:
cool, another Bosch Dynamometer user :)

I have some questions...
1. You said you tested yours in 4th and then 5th to redline. However on the printout it says Vmax is 250km/h. Redline in 5th will be more than 250km/h so did you take it to redline in 5th?
2. What speed was that?
3. If you took it over it's Vmax, did that introduce any error?
4. From the printouts it looks as if rwkw is dependant on what gear you are in... however when you add the power lost to the rear wheel power it does not matter... So, if you were to test in 3rd gear, through extrapolation, you would expect higher rwkw and less power lost through the driveline, correct?
5. Was it really 34 deg C on the test day?

austrian type-R said:
... I will dyno again with Taitec H/E and later again with airbox and after that with Procar speacial chip, lowered VTEC, raised redline with modified fuel and ignition table. So I can compare before and after hp results :)

Please do! I am really interested in your results as our cars in Australia are European spec and you Europeans measure hp the same way as us here in Australia as well!

Great information!

Enzo said:
i dynoed my 91NSX some years ago on a similar dyno and here are the numbers to compare with yours(my mods were at this moment : RM Cold intake, Comptech cat bypass pipes and Remus exhaust)

Just wondering.... To compare your Dyno with austrian type-R's Dyno, I know there are a couple of years between these tests but this is the first time I am seeing a Bosch Dynamometer output and I must admit that it is the most comprehensive output I have yet seen! It is also the first time I have seen drivetrain losses calculated and not just estimated! Very impressed!

1. What gear were you in? It looks like you were in 5th if you reached 286km/h or am I reading that wrong?
2. Was it 34 deg C in Switzerland when you did the Dyno?

Thanks in advance!

Back