• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NAV system help need info

Hey guys I've been wanting to install a nav system with a back up camera for awhile now. Been spoiled by my TLS and want the same features in the NSX. Main thing is a want a good navigation system with a back up camera. I want everything to look good and OEM quality. I already have a nav pod on the way so just doing a lot of research. I fellow prime member used a garmin system with a camera but after checking prime for awhile I would want a screen that fills the pod well and looks more OEM. Also the camera I don't like too much. SOS sells a really nice screen that fills the pod well. Kinda pricy but looks good. Is this SOS screen touch screen. Also I like this camera
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pyle-PL...ffType=OrderSubTotalOffer&_trksid=p5731.m3795
I think it will look good with my downforce bezel. It will hide it a little bit and its easy to mount.
Here is the SOS screen http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/LCD_display/

Main Question is with this screen and this camera I think they will look good but what about Navigation? There is the NAV TV system with garmin tech. I like it and would get it but $800 bucks I think its crazy. You can buy the whole thing with screen for less then $300 dollers but just the computer $800 nuts. I been looking at prime all night for info but still unsure. I found this system
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-2...786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541c088eea
and this one
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/plnvb26.html

I still need to get the bracket. Would these nav system work with the SOS screen and be touch screen. What do you guys suggest please help

Stallion777,

I'm the one who posted the NavPod with Garmin GPS along with the wireless camera. Prior to me doing this, I did a lot of research just like what you're doing now. After a few months, I came to the a conclusion that I'm not going to have exactly what I want either it's not possible or it's going to be way too expensive. As you mentioned, the setup will probably cost you over $2000 and that's DIY. My car came with a NavPod and an old DVD driven GPS disk system that was install in the trunk. I couldn't stand that slow GPS and very outdated map. So I didn't have to pay for a NavPod, all I had to do is pay for the Garmin with the wireless camera and few other components that you saw from my post. All together I think I spend $$450 and I did the job myself in less than 2 hours. The slight gap on my setup actually helps and could have been avoid it if I want it to by adding some plastic plating on each side. But I opt to not do that because when I did, I could hear the system and the mic/sound of my Bluetooth connection with the phone wasn't clear at all. This gap actually made it so much better. Make sure you can hear the system with your setup, it was very important for me.

To summarize it for me, I want to make sure it was something I can afford and not break the bank. It must be an easy FYI since I'm not spending hundreds to have someone do the job. And it must be a Garmin with map update, traffic and easy to setup backup camera, you can't beat the wireless setup. I have to admit, I'm very happy with the setup, cheap, easy and it works great!

Whatever you do, good luck!

Frankie

Thank you for the response. I like your system. Simple and clean. I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I have the pod which is the hard part to get. Just wanna get some ideas before I do this. May do the same style you did but wanna see if something comes up.

I have a Nav Pod and these components installed:
Nav Pod
Nav pod bracket
Alpine TME-M770 screen
Alpine DVA-9860 (head unit)
Alpine Blackbird (nav unit)
Alpine iPod adapter
Parrot Bluetooth (for phone)

BUT....all of that will be going away, except for the DVA-9860
to be replace by the ILX-007 with Apple Car Play. Way cleaner install, less parts & better integration.

The only problem is that I need to split the ILX-007 (screen & rest of the unit). Got the part number, just waiting for the part.

Finding the perfect balance of what you want for your car is hard. Then you need a shoe horn to install it in the NSX
Good luck with your project.

This would be awesome. Has everything I would want in one peice and the price is good $500 on ebay. If it was smaller to fit in the nav pod I would get it. I know you can change the dash and install it but thats not what I want to do.
Kenwood DNX-9990HD

- - - Updated - - -

I have been looking at a lot of nav systems. I have seen many alpine systems but found that they do the job but it still on older system or are very expensive. I want something more with todays tech with a good price. I think I found something.
http://www.12voltsavings.com/pioneer-avic-u260-add-on-gps-system-for-select-stereos-avicu260/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdaOhJmbTS4

Looks good and not bad on price. On ebay for $250 Just gotta find a good screen. I'm assuming you must go with a pioneer screen.

Last edited:
It look like you need an actual pioneer dvd headunit, the avh series. THEN, you can use this gps add on unit.. that way the dvd can control the add on gps unit...it will still going to run you upper $500+.. dvd unit + the gps add on unit.

A screen alone would not be able to control the gps unit you posted, thats what i think.

Last edited:
Yeah it looks like the pioneer unit is a no go. I searched for pioneer screens and it looks like all the avh series are dd units which would not fit in the nav pod. Looking at 03 raw system above and doing more research I believe I found a good modern system with no disc and fits in the nav pod. It would use a Alpine TME-770 screen and Alpine NVE-M300
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/nve-m300/
It says it will work with the screen. Around $300 on ebay for the m300. A screen for around $150. A camera for around $50. Not including the nav pod. I wanted to stay under $500. This system looks like I will get everything I want and more if I choose to add a DVD player or whatever else in the future and would give a clean OEM look and being a Alpine system I don't think I can go wrong. What do you guys think?

I have the alpine tme m740bt screen plus the automation bracket for sale if you are interested.

03 raw system above and doing more research I believe I found a good modern system with no disc and fits in the nav pod. It would use a Alpine TME-770 screen and Alpine NVE-M300

I had the TME-M770 paired with a Alpine Blackbird Nav. When I first installed it, it was perfect. That was 8 years ago. But compared to newer cars it is SLOWWWW. Entering new destinations...Press a letter (now count one thousand, two thousand, ok ready for next letter). If you want to buy my TME-M770 with Autovation plate its available. And the other problem with the Alpine Blackbird portable nav (mounted in a pod for use in the screen) it is now so outmoded that the nav map cannot be updated. That may be the same issue with the NVE-M300 in a couple of years.

My new setup will use either Google Maps or Apple Maps for nav function. It will also work with my current sound system, phone & rear camera.

Good Luck
Rich Wong

I have the alpine tme m740bt screen plus the automation bracket for sale if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer but it doesn't look like the M300 will work with that screen. Good luck with the sale.

Yeah no matter what everything eventually will be outdated. I love the nav system in my 2008 TLS but by today it is already an old system but I'm happy with it. I think this M300 should be decent for awhile. You can always change systems in the future. Thanks for the info on your system and let me know about that screen and plate

Last edited:
Yeah no matter what everything eventually will be outdated. I love the nav system in my 2008 TLS but by today it is already an old system but I'm happy with it. I think this M300 should be decent for awhile. You can always change systems in the future.

That is why I'm going to a app based navigation that's on my phone. It might last a bit longer before getting outdated.

Yeah it seems apps are the best way because you can update easily and should last you a very long time. The Alpine M300 system came out in 2010 so it should be comparable to the factory system in my TLS. I think I will be happy with it.

Had my system installed yesterday. Big thanks to Jay (syndicate) for the install. If anyone needs any electrical work look him up. He did an amazing job on my car.
before003.jpg
After004.jpg
006.jpg
009.jpg
011.jpg
010.jpg
Over all I am really happy with it. Nav system is fast and works just as good as my 08 TL factory system. The look of the pod from the front outside of the car is strange but is perfect from the driver seat and that is all that matters

Looks good.
Sux i live too far. I would like to have him rework/replace my aftermarket alarm. Last stereo shop just didn't have a clean install.

Back