• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need a BMW pro.

Well I'm considering a used BMW 3 series 335/328 coupe standard shift as a DD. Not really wanting a 330 since they're top of the line and I don't need all that. I know some of you have/had BMW's and would appreciate any pros/cons of the two. I'm not looking for a premium fuel only car. What should I expect economywise driven normal. What problems do I look for when shopping around. I am completely blind going into this so any help greatly appreciated. Bring it on.:wink:

I'm looking for a 02 through 05 model. I'm not dead set on a BMW just yet. Hoping for some info to to either steer me away from or towards one. Not wanting a performance DD. Cheap on gas on cheap gas.:rolleyes:

I'm looking for a 02 through 05 model. I'm not dead set on a BMW just yet. Hoping for some info to to either steer me away from or towards one. Not wanting a performance DD. Cheap on gas on cheap gas.:rolleyes:

cheap on gas and a bmw: 318is/318i 4 banger 1.8liters baby. rwd.

I bought an '02 325i in November as a daily driver. Just as any FYI it does require premium. I'm averaging around ~25-26 mpg with mostly highway driving. Thats with the cruise set at 80mph and with the 5speed auto. So you ?might? do a little better with a manual and certainly would with a 70mph or less cruising speed.

I bought an '02 on the advice of an independent dealer/mechanic who said I should absolutely stay away from the 98-01 cars due to a host of electrical and transmission problems. Still, my alternator took a dump 11 days after I bought the car and ran me around $500 to replace at an independent euro shop. Otherwise the car has been a great highway cruiser and everyday driver. I've now got 107k on it and its as tight and rattle free as just about anything I've owned.

My car has the premium/sport/cold weather packages and I would definitely recommend the first two as the sport seats are a big step up from the base chairs.

Nate

The 2002-2005 3 series US models were available in 325 and 330 variations. All require premium fuel. A 325 would be the more economical choice.

No 335 in those years. Only 325 and 330's. All require premium fuel. These are highly tuned with very tight tolerances, engines. I run plus in mine and feel pretty bad about it. BMW pushes every inch out of these engines.

I have a 2002 325ci Convertible, it gets 19mpg average and that is 90% city driving.

They are the ultimate driving machine, period. No other car maker can match the overall driving experience for the money.

No 335 in those years. Only 325 and 330's. All require premium fuel. These are highly tuned with very tight tolerances, engines. I run plus in mine and feel pretty bad about it. BMW pushes every inch out of these engines.

I have a 2002 325ci Convertible, it gets 19mpg average and that is 90% city driving.

They are the ultimate driving machine, period. No other car maker can match the overall driving experience for the money.

try revving the 318 to redline, now thats a honda. lol

Love my 5 speed '02 330Ci. No mechanical problems whatsoever at 75k miles. The stereo quit last month. Otherwise terrific daily car. Silky smooth motor.

not a "BMW pro", but have been known to occasionally play one on weekends :D

popular forums include roadfly, bimmerforums and e90post (for current 3-series)

The modern E9x motor can run on regular gas... sensors automatically adjust spark timing - a tad drop in peak hp (not really noticeable in most cases). No real savings on economy - burn rate (mpg) is the same, just a tad less at the pump.

Not counting M-cars, 335 is the top, then 330, then ... BMW has started cheating with the #s (the last 2 digits no longer reflect actual engine size in the current models, they reflect an "effective size" - n35 is a TT 3.0 that acts like a 3.5, etc).

With the size inflation, you might also want to consider the previous gen 5-series... more usable space than a 3-series IMO.

Bit OT, but tested a 135 coupe not too long ago - what a fun little car. This one is their new e-ticket ride.

Well damn. I really like them but since the NSX requires premium I thought I'd pick me up something slightly easier on 87 octane. Guess I kinda want my cake and eat it to, nice car/cheap gas.:rolleyes: Oh well, an extra $5 a tankful won't break me. Time to hit the Autotrader. I really appreciate the input guys.

I have a 98 528i auto that is my DD. It was my dads car originally, I bought it from him about 3 years ago. The car has never had anything higher than 89 octane in it. It has 141K on it and runs like its new and never had an engine problem. I get about 22.5 mpg average with mainly stop and go driving (the 4 speed auto doesn't help things.). I got 31.7 mpg average on a 650 mile freeway trip. I have heard that they get better milage on premium...but it works out to be about the same $/mile....but I might try it on my next tank to see.
As far as reliablility...my car has been really solid. The only thing that doesn't work anymore is the sunroof doesn't tilt up to vent anymore. It still slides back and closes tight though. I replaced one front ball joint and had a wheel speed sensor go out earlier this year...but thats it.....not bad for a 10 year old car with that many miles on it. I always read about bmw's getting a bad rap for needing a lot of maintainace...I simply have not experienced that. I also had a 89 535i 5 speed...it had 200K on it when I got rid of it...and it ran awesome.

I would recommend a Bmw 330CI Facelift 04-06 coupe. I have owned 5 Bmw's all 3 series M's included and the 330CI is the best compromise. Averages 26mph city and highway super unleaded ofcourse and it handels very sporty. If you do purchase one make sure you check the options list, there are alot or PM me for more info.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104279&highlight=Bmw+330Ci

Well I'm considering a used BMW 3 series 335/328 coupe standard shift as a DD. Not really wanting a 330 since they're top of the line and I don't need all that. I know some of you have/had BMW's and would appreciate any pros/cons of the two. I'm not looking for a premium fuel only car. What should I expect economywise driven normal. What problems do I look for when shopping around. I am completely blind going into this so any help greatly appreciated. Bring it on.:wink:

YOu said you dont want the "330 since theyre top of the line "
And you dont want a performance car.
But the thing is THe 335 is a twin turbo v6. You know that right? Thats the top of the line 3 series.:confused:

YOu said you dont want the "330 since theyre top of the line "
And you dont want a performance car.
But the thing is THe 335 is a twin turbo v6. You know that right? Thats the top of the line 3 series.:confused:

Inline 6, not V6. BMW does not make a V6 engine.

That was a typo on my part. It should've been 325/328. Glad you brought that to my attention.:redface:

I have 325ci coupe as my DD and love the ultimate driving machine but not as much as the NSX :biggrin:. Good 3 series, no problem so far.

Back