• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need advice on selling my NSX

I posted this thread about 2 weeks ago and received any feedback yet. With the year and mileage auto trader estimates it is work about $33k. Even though it has a salvage title I thought $38k or best offer including a trunk full of extra goodies is a reasonable start. Can anyone suggest any tips or comments on how I could attract potential buyers?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51549

Do you have before and after photos of the damage that caused
the salvage title?
That might help.

Well, I see two problems. First, it's a damn lot of money for a 92 with a history. Second, your mods eliminate a lot of buyers. For instance, even if I loved everything else done to the car (I don't), the removed AC would be a deal breaker for me.

Figure the base on a 92 is $25K. Yours is up to date on maintanance, which is a bonus, so add a few grand. You didn't mention snap ring, but if it's a snap ring tranny, subtract a bit. So, if it had no mods it's maybe $28K. The mods are going to turn a lot of people off, and even the ones who like your choices know that mods don't ever pay off. If you can get a $3K bonus for the mods consider yourself lucky. So now we have a car hovering in the low 30's before we throw a salvage title in the mix. Salvage titles seem to effect these cars worse than most, since a) the buyers are pickier than your average sedan, and b) the cars are difficult to repair properly, so any repair is suspect.

Long story short - If you can get $25K for a salvage title 92 take it. You might get more out of it by selling the aftermarket parts and returning it to stock, then marketing it as a race car. My $.02. Sorry :(

If you really want to sell, price it to sell.
Lots of very proud owners advertising with auto trader
right now. Most very firm, and very much not selling their cars. :biggrin:

The mods kill the value.

I have a near stock 1991 with Volk aftermarket wheels, and only 21,000 miles, and the car is a gem. I can't get $38,000.

You might want to consider advertising or selling the car as a track only car.

Having things missing like the horn - makes getting state inspections for registration difficult.

Good luck!!

Since you asked, here is your answer: your asking price is insane.

I know how the NSX market works, and currently have a deposit on my 1995 T w/ 64K mi and in very good condition, all maintenance up to date. Bear in mind that the removable top supposedly adds $8K to the value from an early coupe. I figured $37-38K would be doable but am parting with it for $34,500.

The NSX market is plagued--and I mean PLAGUED--with flakes and dreamers. Don't forget the kids. These people all want something for nothing and are top-notch timewasters. I spent hours talking and e-mailing prospective buyers, working magic with dollars, only to repeatedly have many state that my lowest price was still too high for their finances. And I just got an e-mail via Autotrader 2 days ago (I will remove the ad when the deal is 100% done) stating "this is exactly the car I want but I only have $28,000 to spend." Please. I want an F430, but I only have $50K to spend... :rolleyes:

NA1NSX said:
With the year and mileage auto trader estimates it is work about $33k.
Did that estimate take into consideration the car is missing a several thousand dollar A/C system?!?

Without A/C, you'd have to price it dirt cheap IMO. I think that's the biggest deal killer there. I wouldn't even buy it having a salvage title and no A/C. Myself, I'd rather spend a bit more and get a clean title and air conditioning. Anyone who wants it for anything besides a track only car will do 15 minutes of research calling around and find out that replacing the A/C is going to cost them thousands of dollars. Thus, either your asking price has got to come WAY down, or you're not selling it.

Looking at your mods, I think you could sell them seperately in the FS forum for a pretty penny. I'd do that and return the car to as close to stock as possible and blow it out at a really good price. I think you'd get a lot more for the package by parting it out first and then selling the car. It's a tough sell to try it as a complete package.

This may come off as a little harsh, but here goes. I think you need to do some real soul searching on your price. I just bought a mint '93 with less than 60K miles with a boatload of extras (plus the originals came with it). I paid $34K+ for mine. The black paint is immaculate, the interior is outstanding, it has a several thousand dollar Alpine stereo system with all amped speakers. I did some research and knew that I had the major service upcoming, but still felt like it was a very fair deal. The A/C is cold as ice.

did u even spend $38k when you bought the car in 2003?!

Mods kill resale value

Summer heat, no A/C? Forget about it!

If I were you, I would sell most of your aftermarket parts on ebay or prime for REASONABLE prices (haha very much so different from asking price of car) and then try to sell the car as stock as possible.

Don't forget that the car is salvage title. I've looked into salvage title cars when I was broke but still wanted a fast car - People always make excuses when trying to sell a salvage title. "Oh not a big deal, hit a curb and put a few scratches....just a fender bender" Whatever your reason, someone smart like me wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Having said that, I still think NSXs have decent demand for salvage titles-selling at a DISCOUNT - not premium.

If you are handy with a wrench, you can make a bit off just selling the mods. Check out the Parts for sale on Prime- i check everyday, seeing if there is anything i can waste money on..haha

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I knew my price was high but I new that negotiating would bring it down. I probably will change my beginning price and start over stating that the missing AC and salvage title is the reason.

Thanks again to all

Erik

I wonder at times if I would even get $38k for my 1996-T with not even 23,000 miles on it, and its in flawless condition...

NA1NSX said:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I knew my price was high but I new that negotiating would bring it down. I probably will change my beginning price and start over stating that the missing AC and salvage title is the reason.

Thanks again to all

Erik
Just looked at your pics. If you do part it out for the aftermarket stuff, I'll buy your nsx-r style hood. ;)

Did you keep the stock parts BTW?

like everyone stated...

90% of potential buyers would not look at a salvaged title vehicle...If you really wanna sell it, I suggest you trade up your aftermarket stuff w/other NSX stock parts + cash, and then sell the car in the low $20's...that will be your best option if you really want to make the most $$$$ of it...it suks, but it's reality...good luck with your sale though...

salvaged title= 1/2 of what blue book suggest.....if lucky.

I think your revised asking price of $32k is still far too high. A realistic sale price is more like low $20s assuming it is structurally sound and straight.

Yes many people start with an asking price a little higher than what they really want and figure they'll negotiate it down a bit, but if you price it WAY higher than realistic market price potential buyers just think you are out of touch with reality and they aren't even going to bother contacting you about it.

Yes you have a lot of mods, but not "popular" mods. They are mods that customize the look of the car, etc. The only popular mods are headers and exhaust. You can't expect to recover the price of things like carbon fiber side vents, polished radiator caps, etc. at resale.

Without A/C, you'd have to price it dirt cheap IMO. I think that's the biggest deal killer there.

I agree, i would never buy a car wihtout a WORKING a/c. Honda aircon units are expensive to replace, i hate to think of a replacement cost for the NSX! :redface:

Back