• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need Advice on Upgrading '91 Cassette to CD

Hi. I have read through many of the threads and FAQs but cannot find the information I need (much of the information is devoted to upgrading CD players whereas I still have the old tape player). My knowledge of car stereo systems is low, but before I speak to a shop here in Ottawa that does not know about NSXs I wanted to consult members of the NSX Prime forum.

My stereo amps have gone so I will be getting Brian K. to repair them.

I want to replace the existing radio/tape player with a radio/CD player. The CD player need only be a single CD player. I don't want a multiple CD changer in the trunk or otherwise. My questions are:

(1) Is it possible to find a combination radio/CD player or do I need to leave the radio and add a CD player?
(2) Science of Speed sells a new console. Do I need this if I am only substituting a radio/CD player for the old radio/tape player?
(3) I have seen mixed information on the head unit. Do I need to replace this too?
(4) Are there any problems I am overlooking, e.g. connections, in switching from the old radio/tape player?
(5) Does anybody have recommendations on what specifically to buy?

Thanks very much.

Steve

S. Ottawa said:
I want to replace the existing radio/tape player with a radio/CD player. The CD player need only be a single CD player. I don't want a multiple CD changer in the trunk or otherwise.
My questions are:

(1) Is it possible to find a combination radio/CD player or do I need to leave the radio and add a CD player?
Yes - the majority of all modern head units have integrated cd player & more recently many of these will also play mp3 type cd's as well (you can create these on your pc & "burn" them onto a writable disc) MP3's are compressed media & you can fit ~ 120 tracks on one disc vs maybe 12 in regular cda format.

S. Ottawa said:
(2) Science of Speed sells a new console. Do I need this if I am only substituting a radio/CD player for the old radio/tape player?
Yes - there is nothing that will fit neatly with the OEM console - even the SOS console will require cutting a slot to accommodate the new head unit. Alternatively you can modify the OEM console piece with bondo, plastic welding or whatever.

S. Ottawa said:
(3) I have seen mixed information on the head unit. Do I need to replace this too?
The head unit will have to go if you wish to replace with a cd head unit (the radio & tape are all one module if you hadn't realized)

S. Ottawa said:
(4) Are there any problems I am overlooking, e.g. connections, in switching from the old radio/tape player?
Yes - you need to fabricate an adapter harness to connect between the new head unit & the OEM plug in the vehicle - there is a custom part available but you still need to match it up to your head unit connector harness and also add in some RCA jacks to adapt the signals out into the same harness adapter to feed the Bose amps.

S. Ottawa said:
(5) Does anybody have recommendations on what specifically to buy?
There are so may options & styles, best bet is to go to your local car audio showroom (Good Guys or similar) and check out the styles & features you like. Dozens to choose from! I prefer Alpine brands myself and there are still many models to choose from, even within that product range.
This is a pretty decent mid-range model - http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn...9831&p_category=10&p_subcategory=45&p_main=10

Really, the best advice I can give you that will provide the easiest path to cd & MP3 capability is to add an Alpine CD changer, specifically the CHA-S634 model.
You control this with the OEM head unit & it is pretty much a bolt-in option - no messing with console re-fabrication, adapter harnesses, etc. The control/signal cable is already in your car from the head to the trunk; with the new CD changer you do have to add two adaper cables, butrthese are off the shelf and plug in at the the trunk end. so easy access - nothing to fabricate or tear apart to access.
You can see how to add the CHA-S634 here - http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/Alpine-S634.pdf

However if you are prepared to deal with the additional work, the improvement you will get in clarity from a modern after-market head will be worthwhile.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the comprehensive advice. I have to say that since I bought the NSX and got involved in car competitions, I have been impressed with how helpful everyone in the car fraternity is.

I have one further question for you. I would have checked in my car itself but it is away for a couple of weeks having paint chips repaired, and being painted and buffed (talk about withdrawal pains!). As you know, my 91 had only the tape player. Am I correct in understanding that nonetheless it is already wired from the head unit to the trunk for a CD player?

Thanks again.

Steve

S. Ottawa said:
...Am I correct in understanding that nonetheless it is already wired from the head unit to the trunk for a CD player?...
Yes you are correct, Steve. All cars are pre-wired for the factory option.
The only thing that is different between the Honda/Acura OEM changer and the ones you can guy at any general Alpine retailer (other than factthey are ~ 3x the price!!!!), is Honda switched a couple of pins in the harness that goes between head & trunk - that however is switched back the ACUALP adapter so it will work with the "regular" Alpine changer units, as opposed to having to buy the Honda special.
(The ACULAP adapter is one of the two that were in the link for the install instructions)

Back