• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need BASS!! Any setup ideas?? Pics are always good!!!

Im about to get a blk nsx, and I have a system in my garage that I was about to put in my M3! I have 3 12inch JL Audio W6's and a 900watt PPI amp and a Alpine 7965 CD Player! I will get highs(MB Quart or JL-XR series) when I get the car. I dont think putting the 3 12inch JL's in a NSX is a good idea, cuz I dont know if it will fit and if it does if it will fit in the trunk! And then if the sound quality will be affected since the engine is between the cockpit and trunk! So I was thinking, putting 3 8in W6's in the cockpit? Or maybe putting 1 12in in the front where the spare tire goes and putting 2 12in subs in the rear? For that surround sound? I dont think I could fit anything behind the seats since Im 6ft?
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys
NSX FoYoAss

I think you will be fine simply mounting one 8-10 inch sub in the passenger footwell area and replacing the door speakers with some quality aftermarket units. Putting 3 or more 8" subs in the cabin is really overkill. There is not that much air volume in the 2-seat car so you can very strong bass using just one sub. You can mount amps in the trunk or on the firewall behind the seats.

Yeah...thats true! I didnt think of it that way! Ive heard of people putting 2 10's in a nsx and was wondering where? Thats why I asked! But thanks for the info Lud!!
Regards
Shawn

In the UK (so I don’t know about the US?), Pioneer does a quirky subwoofer; model TS-WX30. It measures 360 wide by 238 high by 137 deep (in mm). I don't know of anyone who has this fitted so I cannot comment on it's quality. If you wish, I can e-mail you pics/details of it.

For heavy bass, install my exhaust system, and keep the revvs low.
biggrin.gif

Pics can be seen on my site.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

How about Kicker SoloBaric or something similar that doesn't require too much box volume and put it behind the seat.

Anyone here tried bass shakers in their NSX? Just a thought, I know some people hate them, but I have heard them sound quite good if done right and they take less space than a standard sub -

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 20 November 2000).]

Bass Shakers if I'm not mistaken give you the "illusion" that you have lots of bass, without the bass. Let's put it this way:
You think a car has a lot of bass when you vibrate a lot. It claims that bass is mostly felt, and not heard. For this reason, they want to make the car(inside cabin) vibrate, making you think(and giving the illusion) that you have a lot of bass. I say forget the bass shakers and build a custom housing for either an 8" or a 10" in the passenger footwell.

I know a little about car stereos, and my experience comes from winning an IASCA 301-600 watt class SQ(Sound Quality) taking 1st. place in my Convertible RX-7.

Here's the link to my car:
www.guam.net/home/superg/my_car.htm

------------------
Richard

My friend had a silver NSX with the following set-up:
ProSeries 6.5 System in front doors
ProSeries 10.5 Subwoofer in custom fabricated fiberglass enclosure installed in the passenger side foot well
ProSeries 4.5MR Midrange driver used for rear fill

This installation was handled by Myer-Emco in Washington, DC. They used the factory door locations for a ProSeries 6.5 system and they hid a ProSeries 10.5 in a custom fabricated fiberglass enclosure installed in the passenger side's foot well. The factory 4-inch rear-fill speaker has been replaced with a single ProSeries 4.5MR The result is a system that sounds great while allowing the car's interior to maintain its stock appearance.

The system rocks and I am having a similar installed this spring using MB Quatrz Q series speakers and a JL Audio sub instead. The amp will be a PPI 4-channel amp.

------------------

Hey Milien,
If you go with JL Audio, dont you need more air space? Ive used JL for a while now, and they usually need lots of air space! The W6's need less than the usual JL's, but the do need their share of air! People say to use different subs with very lil air space requirements or air free subs! I dunno, I wanna stick with JL, since I know them, and have heard them personally....anyone else have any other ideas???

Regards
NSX FoYoAss

Hey NSX FoYoAss,

Due to the interior of the NSX, you can go with a JL Audio 8 W6. I've personally have heard the JL 8 W6 as well, and it sounds incredible. Just make sure whoever is doing the installation is familiar with the NSX and that you are confident with their work. If you use the Boston ProSeries 10.5 sub, you are going to lose about 1.5" of floorspace on the passenger side. Personally, I wouldn't go higher than a 10" sub in the NSX, and since you want to stay with JL, then the 8" would be fine. Hope that helps out! What kind of head unit are you running? From my conversations with my installers, if you are "upgrading" the system in the NSX, you have to do it all at once, including the head unit, speakers, amps, etc.

Hey Milien,
Read the first post on this topic! I have all new equipment waiting for my NSX! Thats right, waiting! I dont have a NSX yet, but I just sold my bike for a few thousand, and now Im about to sell my M3! But Ive been here reading up on NSX's so I know what to expect! Ive driven one and read all about them and I love the NSX! Im shopping for a low milage Black NSX, and must be stick, I dont know how to drive auto!Haha! Ive seen a few red ones here in Houston, but Im picky, and want black, just my preferance! Ive got the entire system here in my garage and will probably sell the 12's for some 8's! And with the extra $, Ill get performance stuff!! But thanks for the info Milien, and everyone else!!

Regards
NSX FoYoAss

Milien said:
My friend had a silver NSX with the following set-up:
ProSeries 6.5 System in front doors
ProSeries 10.5 Subwoofer in custom fabricated fiberglass enclosure installed in the passenger side foot well
ProSeries 4.5MR Midrange driver used for rear fill

This installation was handled by Myer-Emco in Washington, DC. They used the factory door locations for a ProSeries 6.5 system and they hid a ProSeries 10.5 in a custom fabricated fiberglass enclosure installed in the passenger side's foot well. The factory 4-inch rear-fill speaker has been replaced with a single ProSeries 4.5MR The result is a system that sounds great while allowing the car's interior to maintain its stock appearance.

The system rocks and I am having a similar installed this spring using MB Quatrz Q series speakers and a JL Audio sub instead. The amp will be a PPI 4-channel amp.

------------------

Is it possible for you post to post myer-emco address?

paladin said:
I was thinking the same thing. When NSX FoYoAss is posting about getting ready to buy an NSX, i was :confused:

Yes, this was a long long long time ago! This was way before my NSX and before when I was immature and NSX ignorant! At least I'm not NSX ignorant anymore! ;)

Regards,
- Z

ps - on topic, I still have NO bass in the NSX. :(

Damn, talk about from the dead. I use to work with Chuck at Myer-Emco. We did at least 3-4 NSXs in the spring to fall time. If you want car stereo, that is the place to go.

Back