• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need good NSX mechanic in Northern Cali

Hey guys I just bought my first 94 NSX but it needs a new clutch, I need to find a good NSX mechanic in the eastbay near Antioch/Oakley/Pittsburg/Concord area.

Also what do you guys suggest in terms of what brand and should I use an aluminum flywheel.

Thanks,:cool:

clutch info

You might want to post this question under "Technical and Do-It-Yourself". I don't think this Regional Message Forum gets much viewing interest. On the other hand the tech forum gets activity from all over the world. I live in Bellevue, WA and bought my NSX in April. I have been disappointed with this forum as I want to hook into local activities but find most of the regional type discussions appear in the General Discussion Forum.

Also try the "search" button. I'm betting you'll find a wealth of information on clutches.

If you want to come to this side of the bay, I would recommend Hilltop Auto Service in Daly City. Or Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. Those are the best NSX service station in the area I know off.

Science of Speed has a few options in lightweight flywheel that will suit your need. I would go to the lightest one possible.

ennessexx said:
Hey guys I just bought my first 94 NSX but it needs a new clutch, I need to find a good NSX mechanic in the eastbay near Antioch/Oakley/Pittsburg/Concord area.

Also what do you guys suggest in terms of what brand and should I use an aluminum flywheel.

Thanks,:cool:

If you are willing to drive a bit try Foreign Affair in Santa Clara. I've also had service done by Don at Hilltop Auto in Daily City.

It's a good thing that we have several choices for good Tech's for the NSX's in the Bay Area :).

Ken

Drive to Daly City. I do. You can walk to the BART station and take the train back to the East Bay. If you plan to wait while the work is done, bring a jacket. It gets foggy and cold there.

Hey, wait a minute ................. we are becoming very territorial all of a sudden aren't we .............. ;)

This newbie lives in our backyard nor yours! Given his geographic location, it's a no brainer:

If you are an NSXCA member, drive to Niello Acura in Sacramento and ask for Bruce Pettitt by name. Period. Even if you bring your own clutch.

If you like to drive another 20 miles or so, go to Eldorado Hills and have Comptech install one of their for you.

My turf is greener that the others ...... LOL!

:D

Drive and save a $

Don will be cheaper, and does top notch work. Even if he gets the NSXCA discount at Niello. But it is nice to support the people who supported NSXPO! ;)

Thanks

Thanks guys for all your help. I think I will try Don at Hilltop as soon as I get my clutch parts, I have family in daly city so I can just hangout there until its done although I hear its a 10hr job???

:rolleyes:

I second the recommendation for Hopkins in Redwood City. Speak to Jim Russell if you go there (admittedly not close to where you live, but not that much different than going to Daly City). I have had great results there multiple times. You can look at my previous recommendation posts. However, I will say that my one experience at Hilltop with Don installing my Tubi was perfect as well.

Chip

Kudos to Hilltop Auto service

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 2:11 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [nsx-list] Good Service Story

We hear stories about bad service or broken promises, so I thought I'd share a good story. I had some routine maintenance done at Hill Top Auto Service in Daly City, California recently. I picked up the car and drove home, and when I parked in my garage I smelled a bit of oil. At the same time, the phone in the house was ringing. It was Don Lam, owner of Hill Top. He said he had noticed a few drops of oil where my car had been idling in his lot before I left, and he was very worried that perhaps his assistant had pinched a gasket when putting the valve cover back on after Don did the valve adjustment. He said he had tried my cell phone, but I had had it off. I looked under the car, and sure enough, there was a small drip. Don apologized profusely, asked me to check the oil level, add oil as necessary, and bring the car back in as soon as possible. He even wanted me to put newspaper under the car to avoid staining the garage fl oor (I told him not to worry, the floor is painted).

The next week I took the car back, and Don found that the valve cover had a very small chip taken out of it in one corner. He found this by replacing the gasket, doing an idle check with no problems, and then checking after a road test. Then you could see that the pressure had caused the gasket to bulge out of the chipped corner area; there was a small leak there. Again, he apologized, and he had no idea how the chip had occurred, but there was never any question that he was going to take full responsibility and make it right. A new valve cover from Honda is about $500 and delivery is very uncertain. Don found one at CompTech and got it delivered and installed in a couple of days. I just picked up the car, it runs great, and Don apologized for the inconvenience once more.

Character comes out under stress.

Tom King
'92 Blk/Blk CTSC

I have a good person who has a shop in Brentwood. He actually has two shops but, I like to bring it to his Brentwood shop because it is closer for me. He used to work at a dealership and now has his own business. He is very good with NSX's. I can post his number tomorrow if you would like, I do not have it with me tonight.

Name of shop

I have a good person who has a shop in Brentwood. He actually has two shops but, I like to bring it to his Brentwood shop because it is closer for me. He used to work at a dealership and now has his own business. He is very good with NSX's. I can post his number tomorrow if you would like, I do not have it with me tonight.

Can you post the name and number of the NSX shop in Brentwood.

Hello - Congratulations on your new purchase.

Not exactly East Bay, but I've been taking my car to https://www.scautosolutions.com in San Carlos.
Owner has a NSX and has a great team. I appreciate that it is a one stop shop.

See you around the Bay.
Thanks for the recommendation - I may just check them out even though I'm all the way down in Monterey.

I called Foreign Affair yesterday and the guy answered the phone told me that their NSX mechanic had retired and told me to reach out to Shad at Comptech which is up in Sac.

Someone in the forum recommended TrackSpec in Fremont.

Hello - Congratulations on your new purchase.

Not exactly East Bay, but I've been taking my car to https://www.scautosolutions.com in San Carlos.
Owner has a NSX and has a great team. I appreciate that it is a one stop shop.

See you around the Bay.

+1 to San Carlos Auto Solutions -- seeing your rec here gave me confidence.

I normally go to Trackspec, and I've been very happy with their work over the years (timing belt, coolant hoses, alignment, tires). But I wanted to install the 02+ ABS upgrade and perform the SOS IAB Delete, and I didn't think TS would take "custom" work like that. So I went to SCAS, feeling more confident since the owner also drives an NSX.

The work was great -- they even removed the glove box to pull out the old ABS module, which I didn't even think about. The owner, Kenneth, was extremely communicative (not that I really needed it, but it was a nice, extra touch) and sent over photos and updates. Super fair pricing considering the amount of work they did. I am definitely going to put them in the rotation for maintenance work.

Really happy to have two trustworthy shops within driving distance.

Back