• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need help finding SP 8000

Everyone knows that the Dunlop SP 8000 tire is discontinued. I have one brand new Dunlop 245 40 ZR17 SP 8000 and have searched everywhere in Canada for another one. If anyone, anywhere knows were I can find a matching tire please let me know.Thanks for the help.

I have been in the same situation as you Dman, and everytime I need a new tire I have to buy two of a new size because I can't find just one. Since I need new tires again soon, I'm switching to Khumos all around because I only average 5-7k miles on my rears, and I need a good performance tire for the rain. Furthermore, it will be a bit more affordable with the Khumos every 3-4 mo's than finding the rare SP8000.

BTW, I'll have two farly low mileage 225/40/17 SP8000's available in a little while after I switch to the Khumos.

They are only the 225's. I bought them for my fronts but they are too big and scrape the fender liner on occasion.

Sumitomo Tire owns/makes Dunlop Tires.The SP9000 is the same Sumitomo HTRZII, I thought that the SP8000 were the HTRZ. Ask Tire Rack 1800 981-3782

Originally posted by Bruce:
Sumitomo Tire owns/makes Dunlop Tires.The SP9000 is the same Sumitomo HTRZII, I thought that the SP8000 were the HTRZ. Ask Tire Rack 1800 981-3782

I just looked at the pics for HTRZII and the tread pattern seems to be different than SP9000s. The Sumitomo tires are really cheap compare with SP9000s. I wish they were the same as I just purchased Sp9000s.

I'm sorry,yes you're correct, the tread pattern is slightly different.Though I've been re-confirmed that they are the same tire.Base pattern is the same although the HTRZ II has groove cut down the center and the 9000's has 2 grooves one on each outer side, which makes them cosmetically different.Understandably even if they are the same tire and cheaper,having the sidewall with Sumitomo on it seems to de-value your car.Dunlop has a great reputation and is a name people recognize and associate with racing.

Bruce, I don't think that the value of a car will depreciate because of the name on the sidewall. Think about it, what if the NSX had the Honda badge on it in the USA, would that make it of lesser value? For those people whom know the performance abilities of certian tires, a name really shouldn't matter. I stated earlier that I'm going with Khumo's because I need a high perfomance tire that is good in the rain. I also don't care about spending $300 every 3mo's for rear tires compared to $600 for the same performance/longevity. Also, by saving the $300 on my road tires I can buy my rear Hoosier slicks for the track every three months using the $300 I save on buying a lesser known brand of road tire.

Just my $.02

Back