• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help- need new speakers, will these fit in the NSX??

Does anybody here have a custom sound system in their NSX? I bought my NSX with a custom Alpine system already installed, but one of the speakers is blown so I have to replace them. I finally found the speakers that I want, but I don't know if they will fit in the door. I know the factory speakers are only about 4 inchers. I want to get these CDTs that are 6.5 inchers. They are also pretty deep at 2 13/16 inches. The mounting hole is 5 11/16 inches.
Has anyone here put 6.5" speakers into their NSX. I am dying to pick these up, but I don't want to waste the money and find out they won't fit. They are $500 a pair and I am getting them for only $340 plus shipping.
Any suggestions. If you have speakers this big in your NSX please let me know so I can get these. Also, did a lot of cutting have to be done that may look awkward to get them in. Thanks a lot!

I have my answer! I have been told that it can't be done, but it can. I just found out that my speaker wasn't blown, but some of the wiring was bad. After pulling off the door panel, we found a 6.5 inch M B Quart speaker in there... so it must be possible. I'm not sure what kind of cutting is involved or how it was done, but it was very clean. So in case any of you were thinking about doing this, it can be done. I don't know a great deal about car audio, so I don't know how difficult, pros and cons, or whether what was done is even a good idea or not. But it has been done in my car so it is possible.

I just installed a set of 7" Dynaudio mid-bass drivers in the doors without cutting or drilling aluminum. The install depth after removing the Bose enclosure is only about 1.5" but you can space out the speaker up to 2" or so before hitting the inside of the door trim panel.

You can stuff anything in there if you work at it.

Vicster,
If you don't mind me asking, where did you mount the tweeters. The MB Quarts in my car now are coaxials so the tweeter is in there with the speaker. Someday if upgrade to something like Dynaudio, I would probably do components like you did. How many drivers do you have in the car and where did you have them mounted? What kind of amp are you running with it. I have crossfire which is alright, but if I get dynaudio or CDTs, I may want to upgrade.

Originally posted by ilya:
Vicster,
If you don't mind me asking, where did you mount the tweeters. The MB Quarts in my car now are coaxials so the tweeter is in there with the speaker. Someday if upgrade to something like Dynaudio, I would probably do components like you did. How many drivers do you have in the car and where did you have them mounted? What kind of amp are you running with it. I have crossfire which is alright, but if I get dynaudio or CDTs, I may want to upgrade.

Ilya,
I mounted the tweeters right next to the mid-bass drivers. This worked out great since the speaker grill is almost shaped perfectly to allow the tweeter to fire through it. The crossover is also mounted next to the midbass on the other side (towards back of car). The installation is very clean (but took me many hours). I'm only running 2 channels. The 7" mid-bass allows me to get away without having a sub.

For and amp, I'm using xTant. I was a big fan of PPI until all the engineers went to xTant. The nice thing about the xTants is they have adjustable input sensitivity so you can hook up the amp directly to the stock head unit's output. Also, I've plugged in their eq module to get rid of that annoying over-emphasized Bose mid-bass.

"Keep it light and keep it simple"

Vic

Originally posted by Jester:
Vic,
Correct me if I am wrong, but every Xtant Amp I have ever seen is HUGE. Where did you fit that thing?

Only the X-series amps are big. I'm using the A-series. The M or A-series amps are about average size. I mounted mine on the trunk floor next to the CD changer. Another option was against the rear bulkhead behind either seat but I didn't want to clutter the nice interior :)

Vic

Vic

Back